•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Odd Grid Pattern in light? Help?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 robonrome

robonrome

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 01 December 2020 - 02:59 PM

just starting imaging last night and this really odd grid pattern appeared across the lower right. It gradually faded over a few lights, but concerned what it is an how to stop it.

I noticed it once before when taking test flats but thought it was a pattern from my Light Panel, but obviously not when showing up in a Sub frame here so must related to camera or image train. Nothing on lens or filter or on sensor glass I can see, so presumably something deeper. Camera ASI071MC pro. I'm in a fairly warm humid environ (25deg C last night). Dew Heater is on and camera cooled to -5deg C.

Any help to resolve appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• oddgridpattern.jpg

#2 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

• Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:28 PM

condensation on the chip.

• John O'Grady and robonrome like this

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:30 PM

condensation on the chip.

Agreed- check that your heater is turned on in the camera settings. If not- it's broken and the camera needs servicing.

#4 John O'Grady

John O'Grady

Viking 1

• Loc: Waterloo, ON CAN

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:32 PM

It gradually faded over a few lights

Agreed, as strange as the pattern is, if it faded over time.  Particularly if cleared from the center outward to the corner, that's a clear sign you had condensation on the chip.  

How long a duration do you allow the sensor to cool for?

• robonrome likes this

#5 ram812

ram812

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass, Oregon

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:34 PM

Gotta be dew somewhere in the imaging train, like Topographic says, right on the chip. For a moment I was thinking t-shirt pattern but you used a light panel for your flats (How do they look?). Real humidity and a very cool camera will cause dew to form on a chip, though. Ralphgrin.gif

• robonrome likes this

#6 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:23 PM

Dry out your tabs, and do it regularly. Don't leave your ASI071 outside or in an observatory. It's a really good camera but it is a bit high maintenance. No need to go below -5C (which was your temp) when imaging.

#7 robonrome

robonrome

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 05:25 PM

thanks all, makes sense. It is rather humid here in Brisbane Au which wouldn't help. I do have the dew heater switched to on in settings, but maybe it's struggling to keep up... I do hope not broke. I'd have to send this back to the US for fixing. 

Would slowing the cooling rate help do you think?

I do bring the scope and camera in each night. Don't leave it out, juts the mount.

#8 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:45 AM

Yes, use slow cooling. I use APT rather than leaving it to ASCOM. I tend to dry the tabs after every 4 imaging sessions, or if I haven't used the camera for a while. I also keep a stock of tabs. Try putting the tabs back in warm...seems to help.

#9 robonrome

robonrome

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:25 PM

Yes, use slow cooling. I use APT rather than leaving it to ASCOM. I tend to dry the tabs after every 4 imaging sessions, or if I haven't used the camera for a while. I also keep a stock of tabs. Try putting the tabs back in warm...seems to help.

Thanks. I've shifted from APT to NINA and I noticed NINA does the cooling and warming quicker than APT... will have to see if NINA can be slowed.

I haven't tried opening the camera yet to get at the tabs near the sensor. Right now I'm trying drying things with the camera in a plastic bag with a bunch of silica gel packets with the side port opened, but expect I'll have to open it up to really address the problem.

I assume it's fairly straightforward removal of the black tiltable top plate? Then take the tabs and zap them in microwave for a few minutes and pit back (warm). ? thanks again.

#10 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

Posted 02 December 2020 - 05:08 PM

Side port open? Is yours a 071 cool? I am sure I read somewhere that the side shouldn't be opened on the Pro.

Opening etc is easy just be as dust free as possible. Be aware that old tabs can crumble...not good.

#11 robonrome

robonrome

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:30 AM

Side port open? Is yours a 071 cool? I am sure I read somewhere that the side shouldn't be opened on the Pro.

Opening etc is easy just be as dust free as possible. Be aware that old tabs can crumble...not good.

no its a pro. it has a screw-in port on the side though under a rubber plug. I read it was for back up desiccant, but requires tube the pro doesnt include?

#12 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:55 PM

Can't remember where I read that you shouldn't open that port, but it is a throwback to the discontinued cool version which I believe came with the tube attachment. The tube is not available as an accessory. 

https://www.manualsl...ol.html?page=12

Does the port look like a hole into the chamber, I wonder if that could cause dew issues. Can you shine a light into it to check?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics