•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LS-8 Manual 2 Star Align Not Allowing Star Selection

Meade
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Proutsy

Proutsy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:36 PM

Hello Fellow LightSwitchers!  I am in central NJ with only a western view of the sky. I am trying to use 2 auto-align on my Meade LS-8.  It does not allow me to select alignment stars, no matter how many times or a what point i press the UP/DOWN keys. It just goes to a star it wants, which invariably is one blocked by my house, and sits there waiting for me to center it, then press Enter.

One star alignment works as epected.

Auto-align works great, if it picks stars that are visible.

Any suggestions or anyone have this issue with a solution?  I have contacted Meade,  and they tell me it is a part somewhere in the electronics, but will not tell me where.  I'd be good with fixing it myself, if i knew where to look in there!  

#2 Jmsugerman

Jmsugerman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:08 PM

Hi Proutsy,

I can’t help you because I am so new at this but was hoping you might be able to help me :). I live in Texas and having alignment issues with my LS-8. I keep hearing about the manual 2 star alignment. I don’t know how to do this and have asked Meade for help. No response. Is there a document that steps through the process?

#3 Proutsy

Proutsy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:20 PM

Hi Lift Off

Manual 2-star alignment is described on Page 29 of the LS Manual.  If you don't have it, it is downloadable from Meade web site and other web sites - just google it.

In short, after the scope is on sitting there (you will have already set/confirmed Location and Time),  your AutoStar III handbox should be asking you to Select Item.

Use the down/up arrow keys (bottom of handset) to show Setup and then Enter to select it.  Align then presents as the first choice. Press Enter to select it. Automatic then presents as the first choice.  Press the Down arrow and Alt/Az 2 Star choice appears.  This is the manual alignment.  Press Enter to select it.  It SHOULD, after leveling, finding north and tilt, let you choice a star.///. this is where mine falls apart!  You should be able to scroll to a star of your choosing, press ENTER, and it will go close to the star, then tell you "Ctr xxxx" where xxxx is your star name.  After you have it centered in our eyepiece by using the direction motion buttons, you press ENTER.

Give it a try!  I am very curious if it works for you.  Btw - if you press down arrow again, instead of choosing Alt/Az 2 Star, you will get Alt/Az 1 Star, which works the same way, but uses only one star. This one-star does work for me just fine. However, alignment with one star is not so good here in NJ!

#4 Proutsy

Proutsy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2020 - 04:12 PM

Well, i solved my own problem - after the scope slews to the blocked star and is asking me to center, press Enter, if i hit BACK it does to the next star. I can't pick my star, but at least now i can move from star to star till an unblocked one is in sight.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics