•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk BT 127 XL

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fountain Hills, AZ

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:38 PM

As of yesterday, I ordered the fork mount and the bayonet adapter (for my 161MK2B tripod). Kevin created my invoice for my 127’s as well.  They will be shipped on the first week of February.

More to come, when I get closer to getting them.:watching:

• Beg and Tyson M like this

#2 wrvond

wrvond

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:01 PM

I don't talk to Kevin anymore. The last time I walked out of his shop with a set of 28x110's!  lol.gif

• OBERWERK, sonny.barile, duck2k and 1 other like this

#3 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:28 PM

I don't talk to Kevin anymore. The last time I walked out of his shop with a set of 28x110's!  lol.gif

As soon as I started doing business with Kevin, I have bought several things!:)

• wrvond likes this

#4 Tom Taylor

Tom Taylor

Lift Off

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:35 PM

Does anyone know if the Oberwerk 127xl45 sd binoculars can accept any 1 1/4-inch eyepiece or is it only for their proprietary eyepieces...?

#5 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 01 December 2020 - 10:53 PM

Does anyone know if the Oberwerk 127xl45 sd binoculars can accept any 1 1/4-inch eyepiece or is it only for their proprietary eyepieces...?

The Oberwerk EP’s are standard 1-1/4 inch. 

Edited by sonny.barile, 01 December 2020 - 10:53 PM.

• wrvond likes this

#6 gplumfield

gplumfield

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:15 AM

Can I ask why you opted for the fork mount over the Nitrotech 612?  That's the combination I ordered and awaiting delivery of in the new year...

• duck2k likes this

#7 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:54 AM

Can I ask why you opted for the fork mount over the Nitrotech 612?  That's the combination I ordered and awaiting delivery of in the new year...

I guess it was a force of habit.  I have APM 100 and 120’s. I am used to the fork mount. It maybe a little more cumbersome, but I am more comfortable (call me weird) with it.:)

• Pinac likes this

#8 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:00 PM

Okay I received the mount and bayonet adapter.  I tried it on my 161MK2B tripod.

Now for the wait (until February).smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 60BF7631-F720-4D4F-9600-FDDED5A3BE48.jpeg

• sonny.barile likes this

#9 GamesForOne

GamesForOne

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

I look forward to hearing about your experience with the bino on the Nitrotech 612. Fork mounts are too bulky for my taste...

---

Michael Mc

#10 gplumfield

gplumfield

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 December 2020 - 10:20 PM

I look forward to hearing about your experience with the bino on the Nitrotech 612. Fork mounts are too bulky for my taste...

---

Michael Mc

Well - having never used either I can't speak from experience but it just seems moving the bino via a handle is better (easier?, less vibration?) than having to move the bino itself in a fork mount.  Also, looking at the pictures it looks like there is not much clearance for the 127 in the fork mount against the aluminum (I presume) disk on the alt axis.  How can one, on one's own, lift a 24 lb bino in there without scrapping up against the side?  And then one has to screw in from the bottom, while the N612 has the plate one can tilt in and lock.  But, as I said I'm not speaking from experience!  I'm used to a large refractor on a driven equatorial mount, so I imagine it's going to take some getting used to having to (pretty much) constantly having to move the instrument.  I would use the refractor at high magnification (so arc seconds field of view) on planets and doubles where one would just "watch" not touching anything waiting for those glimpses of a totally clear seeing column of air.  The opposite viewing experience awaits I guess with degree wide open clusters, etc.!

#11 duck2k

duck2k

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2020 - 10:39 PM

Well - having never used either I can't speak from experience but it just seems moving the bino via a handle is better (easier?, less vibration?) than having to move the bino itself in a fork mount.  Also, looking at the pictures it looks like there is not much clearance for the 127 in the fork mount against the aluminum (I presume) disk on the alt axis.  How can one, on one's own, lift a 24 lb bino in there without scrapping up against the side?  And then one has to screw in from the bottom, while the N612 has the plate one can tilt in and lock.  But, as I said I'm not speaking from experience!  I'm used to a large refractor on a driven equatorial mount, so I imagine it's going to take some getting used to having to (pretty much) constantly having to move the instrument.  I would use the refractor at high magnification (so arc seconds field of view) on planets and doubles where one would just "watch" not touching anything waiting for those glimpses of a totally clear seeing column of air.  The opposite viewing experience awaits I guess with degree wide open clusters, etc.!

Based on my experience with my 120's, there are many similarities in use.  The bayonet adapter is only a minor difference, otherwise mounting the binos are the same.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics