•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

DIY Wheelie bars for a 16" Tire recs etc....

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hellertown, PA

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:55 PM

I need to put some wheelie bars on a Meade 16 that has been migrated to a Dobstuff rockerbox/ ground board.....  Wondering what tires people have been using (good Price), and any unique suggestions or ideas.  My usual starting point is Wheel barrel handles, Eyebolts and threaded inserts into the rockerbox.....

But perhaps someone has a better way.  Show me what you have done....

#2 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Viking 1

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:05 PM

probably not what you are interested in, but this is a cheap alternative I used for my 10 inch Teeter. the size is adjustable to about 27 inches. This just rolls, but perhaps you would be able to adapt it. $32. 

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#3 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:26 PM

I'm using 10" wheels from Zoro . These are rated for 80 pounds and were $13.50 each. But Zoro has many other sizes and wheel capacity ratings available.

Edited to add that I need the 10" wheels because I roll my scope over lots of grass, DG, etc. to move it around on the property. If you are on concrete or asphalt you can get by with smaller wheels. I started with 6" wheels and they were not tall enough.

Edited by MarMax, 01 December 2020 - 08:57 PM.

#4 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

My 'Wheelie bars" are 3 piece design with the middle "piece" actually the open end tube of the rocker box into which the wheels and handles are inserted, then secured with a slip pin.....

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_5790.jpg

#5 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:53 PM

Wheel and handle are quick fit without tools and the wheels can be set one way for narrow track or the opposite way for more stability over uneven ground...

Attached Thumbnails

• MIS_8169.JPG

• ad701xx and Stevegeo like this

#6 Dennis Steele

Dennis Steele

vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Desert, CA.

Posted 01 December 2020 - 08:17 PM

10" pneumatic tires from Harbor Freight. 3/4" x 72" oak handles from Lowes. 

Attached Thumbnails

• wheel-barrow-handles-2.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, Bill Jensen and Dakota Tobias like this

#7 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 09:58 PM

Thanks guys, this is what I am looking for.  

Kunama - thats aluminum tubing I presume, very nicely done... about 18mm x 75mm?

Dennis the 3/4's you think would be good enough for a 16"?

Leaning toward 10" airless semi ridgid tires.  I have a mix of terrain....

#8 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

Posted 01 December 2020 - 10:09 PM

Thanks guys, this is what I am looking for.  

Kunama - thats aluminum tubing I presume, very nicely done... about 18mm x 75mm?

Dennis the 3/4's you think would be good enough for a 16"?

Leaning toward 10" airless semi ridgid tires.  I have a mix of terrain....

Powdercoated radiused thin wall stainless steel tube 1" x 2"

#9 Dennis Steele

Dennis Steele

vendor

• Vendors

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:28 AM

Yes, the 3/4" Oak is plenty sturdy. I've used them on all sizes from 12" to 18". The photo, above, is a 16".

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:01 AM

I use the Harbor Freight tires and wheels. They're under $10, often under $5 on sale. I'm thinking I'm using the 8 inch.

For the 22 inch, I'm using duals.. It's very heavy, I calculated 250 lbs based on measuring the leverage to handles provide and the weight on a scale when lifting the handles.  I calculated my 16 inch Dobstuff at 100.0 lbs including counterweights for the finders etc.

Starsplitter 22 Lubing Azimuth bearing.jpg

The duals smooth the ride and eliminate the torque of a single offset wheel. The long handles with the risers make it easier to lift and keep the scope's angle low.  If the scope if lifted two much, it'll slide forward and the upper cage will crash to ground. It's happened to me more than once.. Scary.. 

The handles are oak/hardwood 2x2s., sturdy enough..  The scope lives in the high desert in the garage so the width of the duals is not a problem.

Jon

• Stevegeo likes this

#11 gatorengineer

gatorengineer

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

Thanks Everyone, going to look alot like what Dennis did, Amazon airless tires, and Lowes Oak.....  WIll post a pic when its done.

Mark

#12 Dakota Tobias

Dakota Tobias

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SouthCentral PA

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:48 AM

Hi Dennis - thank you for the pics - what other parts do you use to put it all together, and where on the Dobstuff base would one drill the holes?  Asking for a "friend" who had you makeover a Discovery PDHQ 12.5" a few years back, and regrets not asking for this when it was at your shop!!! tongue2.gif

#13 Dennis Steele

Dennis Steele

vendor

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:56 PM

Other than the wheels and handles, I use 1/4-20 threaded knobs and inserts, a couple of washers and lock[-bolts.. I drill the holes to the front and rear edge -- 1/2 way from the large holes in the rocker box sides and angle them of course. It's a pretty straight forward process. If you need more info and would like to ask questions do feel free to email or call directly (650-315-6578). Dennis

• Jon Isaacs and Bill Jensen like this

#14 paulh83

paulh83

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:38 PM

10" pneumatic tires from Harbor Freight. 3/4" x 72" oak handles from Lowes. 

I use these for my 18”. They work fine. 

#15 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 06 December 2020 - 05:49 PM

Other than the wheels and handles, I use 1/4-20 threaded knobs and inserts, a couple of washers and lock[-bolts.. I drill the holes to the front and rear edge -- 1/2 way from the large holes in the rocker box sides and angle them of course. It's a pretty straight forward process. If you need more info and would like to ask questions do feel free to email or call directly (650-315-6578). Dennis

I use 3/8-16 T- nuts glued on the inside. 

My Obsession and Starsplitters all use 3/8-16 steel knurled grip knobs instead of T- nuts. I believe these are what they use:

https://www.mcmaster.com/6121K611/

Note: these are knobs but they're not used as knobs, they are inset into the rocker box.

What's nice about them is the hub is 3/4" in diameter so the nuts on the mounting bolts are riding against steel, no washers or metal against wood. 

The through hole is 3/4" and there a 1.5" counter bore on the backside where the head fits.

The downside is they are 1 inch in length so the sides of the rocker boxes need to be double thickness, my 13.1 inch Starsplitter rocker box sides are ~ 1.4" thick.

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics