•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Multi output 110v-12v power supply

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonyQ

AnthonyQ

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:58 PM

I have just added a focuser to my scope(s) and now have two power cables running to the scope from a 110v power strip.

Is there a cheap and easy power supply that would allow me to have only one transformer, (to get ~ 12v 10 amps)?

Ideally this would be light weight and I could maybe attach it to the scope and then only run one cable to the scope, and power the camera and focuser with short cables.

Extra ideally it would have some 5v USB power ports as well.

I am searching Google as I post, but I am wondering if anyone has done this already and has a good recommendation.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:08 PM

Look up the Pegasus Astro power box.  Has 12v outputs and usb outputs.

Also most people in the past have used anderson power pole connectors and a rigrunner power distribution box.  One power cable up and then you make your own cables the length you need to each device.  That is what I am currently doing but I ordered a pegasus astro power box to replace it.

#3 AnthonyQ

AnthonyQ

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:13 PM

Look up the Pegasus Astro power box.  Has 12v outputs and usb outputs.

Also most people in the past have used anderson power pole connectors and a rigrunner power distribution box.  One power cable up and then you make your own cables the length you need to each device.  That is what I am currently doing but I ordered a pegasus astro power box to replace it.

That looks nice but a lot more than I was thinking of spending.

I just found this, which is close to what I have in mind:

https://www.amazon.c...6867537&sr=8-14

#4 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:21 PM

The unit on Amazon is what I bought for my cameras. I have several around the observatory for various uses - watching the deer, camera in Bluebird and Purple Martin houses, etc. I use the extension cables and it has lasted for 3 years already.

• AnthonyQ likes this

#5 AnthonyQ

AnthonyQ

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:46 PM

The unit on Amazon is what I bought for my cameras. I have several around the observatory for various uses - watching the deer, camera in Bluebird and Purple Martin houses, etc. I use the extension cables and it has lasted for 3 years already.

I am also noticing that there are cable splitters that I might be able to use with my existing power supply too.

Thanks for the info!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics