•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Outdoor Storage w/Cover Of My Orion SkyView Pro

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 01 December 2020 - 07:25 PM

Would leaving my SkyView Pro mount outdoors on my deck, with a cover on the eq mount, harm it? This would be 24/7 through rain, snow and cold. What do you think?

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:07 PM

The default recommendation for scope/ mount covers is TeleGizmos 365.  Many people do exactly what you're proposing with that cover.  

#3 YAOG

YAOG

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:56 PM

Would leaving my SkyView Pro mount outdoors on my deck, with a cover on the eq mount, harm it? This would be 24/7 through rain, snow and cold. What do you think?

The only issues are vermin, insects and moisture. You are basically sealing the mount in a plastic bag to keep out the bugs and rodents so you must use some sort of heating device to raise the air temp high enough to push out moisture. Golden rods are small low Watt heating elements boaters have used for decades. I used them on my race boat to control moisture and they work if you have enough of them for the volume you want to keep dry. For a small enclosed space like a mount under a cover it should be no problem using at least a 12" which is 12 Watts of power for heating. Remember, you need to seal up the enclosure for this to work well.  

#4 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:17 AM

Thanks to both of you guys.

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2020 - 01:43 PM

I keep my mounts in non-climate controlled buildings (detached garage and observatory).  I don't have to worry about dew and condensation has not been a problem for me.  I don't seal the covers I use (TeleGizmos "regular"), so they act mainly as dust covers.  I haven't had any trouble with insects or vermin to date either.  There isn't any food under my covers, so I think the vermin are uninterested (apparently there are better places to nest).  Insects have been a worry in my observatory, specifically mud daubers.  I keep both mirrors as covered as possible and haven't had a tragedy yet.  My fingers stay crossed.

If you know condensation is problematic in your location, or learn the hard way, YAOG's golden rods, or low-wattage incandescent light bulbs have been used by many to prevent condensation under their covers or inside their enclosures.

Keep in mind there aren't many parts of your mount which will be hurt by water.  Most everything is aluminum, stainless steel or brass.  The electronics and motors are a different story.  Some Cloudy Nights members take their hand controllers inside when they're done for the evening.  Removing the motors in another story...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics