The dec shaft interface machining is done and it's ready for anodizing. I'll have to make sure the bore does not get anodized as there's no dimensional margin for that.
Earlier this week I ordered the new stainless 30" dec shaft from Misumi...it's maybe 10 days away now.
This afternoon I dealt with longstanding focuser frustration in the old William Optics Crayford. The locking thumbscrew seemed to be stuck and you couldn't adjust the tension enough to stop it from moving with a camera attached. It turned out the aluminum locking thumbscrew was indeed jammed, and in a position where it prevented the setscrew from increasing the tension beyond a fairly modest point. It was jammed badly enough that the aluminum screw broke when I tried to remove it. My best guess is that I cross-threaded it in the elder days. To make matters more interesting (ahem), the broken-off part prevented the unit from being disassembled, so I had to get out a small endmill and mill down the screw remnant until I could pull out the small aluminum contour block it was screwed into. Then I had to drill out the screw and re-tap the hole, finally installing a new brass thumbscrew.
All's well now with adjustability restored, at the price of some cosmetic rash, and it didn't actually take as long as it sounds. I am interested in eventually putting on a dual-speed focuser; TS-Optics has a pretty nice looking one with a selection of base plates for Newtonians, which is not so common anymore. But this one should be fine for now.