•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PC specs for AP

astrophotography equipment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kinguin

Kinguin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:04 AM

Hello,

I have a quick qustion and probably simple one: What specs does my PC/Laptop must have in order to process the photos i am getting assuming i use one of the dedicated AP photoshop softwares and not some high-end ones?

I have a Compas laptop 64-bit with a Celeron Dual-Core T3300 2GHz CPU, 4GB worth of RAM and 762MB Intel HD(integraded probably) video memory. Is this laptop able to handle the processing?

Chris.

#2 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:23 AM

Yes it will work. Much depends upon number and size of subs for stacking. Also what software you will use in post processing.   Some features that can make for faster processing of you data would include a 64 bit system and a large solid state hard drive  -SSD. More ram 6-8 GB too. But your machine should work.

#3 BlueMoon

BlueMoon

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central Idaho, USA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:33 AM

Compas laptop 64-bit with a Celeron Dual-Core T3300 2GHz CPU, 4GB worth of RAM and 762MB Intel HD(integraded probably) video memory.

Running Window 10 I'd presume. As it has an Intel video chip it shares system memory (your 4Gb RAM). As such, between the Windows operating system and any requirements the video processor places on it, you don't have much free system memory available for image processing or number crunching. It will work but don't expect it too much from it. That is, it will be fairly slow. Your laptop is spec'd more for web and light office-type applications.

Clear skies.

Edited by BlueMoon, 02 December 2020 - 09:46 AM.

#4 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:36 AM

Most AP processing software require much more than what you have to run optimally. Will your PC do the job, sure, but I would be skeptical in using it.

What AP processing software are you looking to use? 

CS!

#5 Jim R

Jim R

Mariner 2

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:18 AM

As everyone says, it will probably work, but s l o w. Memory of 16GB would help a lot.

#6 Kinguin

Kinguin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:40 AM

Running Window 10 I'd presume. As it has an Intel video chip it shares system memory (your 4Gb RAM). As such, between the Windows operating system and any requirements the video processor places on it, you don't have much free system memory available for image processing or number crunching. It will work but don't expect it too much from it. That is, it will be fairly slow. Your laptop is spec'd more for web and light office-type applications.
Clear skies.

It's running Windows 7 actually.

#7 Kinguin

Kinguin

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:45 AM

Most AP processing software require much more than what you have to run optimally. Will your PC do the job, sure, but I would be skeptical in using it.

What AP processing software are you looking to use?
CS!

I haven't decided yet. My main concerns were their PC specs requirements and user-friendliness was a secondary issue. So if you could also give me you suggestions on that i would appreciate it very much.

Chris

P.S If somebody else has already asked this question (which AP software is best) then a link maybe to his/her conversation would help.

#8 kathyastro

kathyastro

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:04 PM

You want a minimum of 16 Gb of memory.  More is better.  Windows itself will barely run in 4Gb.

The more CPU cores, the better.  Four dual cores gives me decent throughput.  With only one dual core, you will spend a lot of time waiting for processes to complete.

I would recommend 1Tb of disk space, plus another 1Tb of external storage space for backup.  (You don't want to spend several days processing the ultimate astro image only to lose it in a disk crash.  He who laughs last made a backup.)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics