•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First image with Astro Pixel Processor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:31 AM

Isn't this fun??  What a learning curve.  First up - 8 bit color is a no no!!  Been using 8-bit for planetary all summer and didn't realize that APP wouldn't calibrate 8-bit images.  Converted images all morning to 16-bit so that APP could crunch them.  This image is giant black box processing (did I mention a chimp hoping to write Shakespeare some day??)

Anyway, this is 40 x 30s images calibrated with flats, darks and bias frames that also had to be converted to 16-bit.  (I'll set the camera to capture in 16-bit from now on!!  I see the impact of the software as compared to what I had been doing with DSS but mostly in the post processing tools available in APP that remove gradients and background stuff.  Be gentle as I said I'm still running a black box on this first time out.

M-13-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg-csc-St.jpg

• mikewayne3 and AstroVagabond like this

#2 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:32 AM

Here is what I had generated using DSS and Paint Shop Pro 2020 for comparison

M-13 DSSb.jpg

#3 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 10:46 AM

Good start! I've been recommending AstroStace for some nice tutorial walkthroughs of Astro Pixel Processor; Sara Wager also has some good short ones but you're probably already beyond those. Mabula himself has produced some good stuff but his tend to be a little less helpful to me, ironically, because he knows the software so well. For me the canonical example is his demo of the remove light pollution tool, he just draws some boxes without really explaining why he's putting them in specific places and of course his selections magically work.

If you're going to "black-box" it, you should know that you don't have to go through all the intermediate tabs, you can just load your lights and calibration frames, go to "6) Integrate" and click Integrate. That will run all the preceding steps for you.

But what's the fun in that? :-) I do recommend that you at least start with the "Analyze stars" button instead of going straight to "Integrate", because that will give you scores in the file window that you can use to cull your subs. I usually go back to the Load tab, scroll down to the sorting tools, select "quality", and click the "best to worst" / "worst to best" button (it doesn't seem to sort them until you've clicked the button at least once).

Then you can go to the worst-scoring sub in the list, double-click to view it, zoom in, and judge whether it should be included in the integration. After that you can use the up- or down-arrow to view the next sub in the sort (no need to keep double-clicking). Once you've unchecked the baddies, you can integrate with style and verve.

Or you can become an obsessive Options Nerd like some of us. "...what does THAT slider do, I wonde--YIKES!"

• DubbelDerp, dcaponeii and hmrphoto like this

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 04:35 PM

Good start! I've been recommending AstroStace for some nice tutorial walkthroughs of Astro Pixel Processor; Sara Wager also has some good short ones but you're probably already beyond those. Mabula himself has produced some good stuff but his tend to be a little less helpful to me, ironically, because he knows the software so well. For me the canonical example is his demo of the remove light pollution tool, he just draws some boxes without really explaining why he's putting them in specific places and of course his selections magically work.

If you're going to "black-box" it, you should know that you don't have to go through all the intermediate tabs, you can just load your lights and calibration frames, go to "6) Integrate" and click Integrate. That will run all the preceding steps for you.

But what's the fun in that? :-) I do recommend that you at least start with the "Analyze stars" button instead of going straight to "Integrate", because that will give you scores in the file window that you can use to cull your subs. I usually go back to the Load tab, scroll down to the sorting tools, select "quality", and click the "best to worst" / "worst to best" button (it doesn't seem to sort them until you've clicked the button at least once).

Then you can go to the worst-scoring sub in the list, double-click to view it, zoom in, and judge whether it should be included in the integration. After that you can use the up- or down-arrow to view the next sub in the sort (no need to keep double-clicking). Once you've unchecked the baddies, you can integrate with style and verve.

Or you can become an obsessive Options Nerd like some of us. "...what does THAT slider do, I wonde--YIKES!"

Used Sara's videos to convince myself to purchase the software.  About halfway through the mosaic tutorials now by the developer.  Lots to learn.

#5 Applal

Applal

Messenger

• Loc: Larsen, WI

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:31 PM

I’ve been looking over APP as well.

i may try the 30 day free trial

#6 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:02 PM

Here's another really good one, summarizing the workflow (including the "black magic" gradient removal):

https://www.youtube....h?v=9EAKNqZ201Q

• dcaponeii likes this

#7 AstroVagabond

AstroVagabond

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:30 AM

Isn't this fun??  What a learning curve.  First up - 8 bit color is a no no!!  Been using 8-bit for planetary all summer and didn't realize that APP wouldn't calibrate 8-bit images.  Converted images all morning to 16-bit so that APP could crunch them.  This image is giant black box processing (did I mention a chimp hoping to write Shakespeare some day??)

Anyway, this is 40 x 30s images calibrated with flats, darks and bias frames that also had to be converted to 16-bit.  (I'll set the camera to capture in 16-bit from now on!!  I see the impact of the software as compared to what I had been doing with DSS but mostly in the post processing tools available in APP that remove gradients and background stuff.  Be gentle as I said I'm still running a black box on this first time out.

attachicon.gifM-13-RGB-session_1-lpc-cbg-csc-St.jpg

Yes it is a blast! Congratulations on your achievement!

My first image at the link below, target Mars, using Astro Pixel Processor which was recommended by someone here whose name I can't recall. I spent the last week researching what I would need to reach different levels within astrophotography and whether or not I would enjoy the process in particular image process.

I used DSS and PS and then APP on the same data set. For me APP won.

I used 300 x 1 second exposures captured with my Canon 6D,Rokinon 85mm, on a Promaster tripod. I manually repositioned Mars in the center of the lens after every 50 aided by BackyardEOS.

https://flic.kr/p/2kd5cLa

(I used my link instead of embedding the image to reduce impact to Cloudy Nights)

#8 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:16 PM

The video Part 4. Of the Mosaic creation around Rho Oph. contains a wealth of detailed information on placing boxes for background gradient and light pollution corrections.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics