•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Guide Scope and PHD2 Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sdeming

sdeming

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:45 PM

Hi All!

Quick question and probably laughable for many experts. Last night I did something I've never done before and PHD2 guiding was all over the place! After polar aligning with Sharpcap and then doing a four star alignment with my CGX mount, I put the guide scope back on the telescope and decided to adjust it to get it better aligned with the eyepiece and imaging camera. Does adjusting the guide scope after you've polar aligned with it impact your guiding?

Thank you!

Scott

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Ranger 4

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:53 PM

No but make sure you do a calibration afterward.

• dswtan likes this

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:54 PM

No. However, you do need to run a new guider calibration at the intersection of the meridian and the celestial equator. If that's calibration is not good or not done, guiding is almost certainly not going to work well.

Rgrds-Ross

• dswtan likes this

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 02 December 2020 - 01:04 PM

Hi All!

Quick question and probably laughable for many experts. Last night I did something I've never done before and PHD2 guiding was all over the place! After polar aligning with Sharpcap and then doing a four star alignment with my CGX mount, I put the guide scope back on the telescope and decided to adjust it to get it better aligned with the eyepiece and imaging camera. Does adjusting the guide scope after you've polar aligned with it impact your guiding?

Thank you!

Scott

No.  Polar alignment does, but guidescope alignment borders on irrelevant.

• dswtan likes this

#5 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 02 December 2020 - 01:09 PM

>>>>>I put the guide scope back on the telescope and

I don't get it....why was the guide scope not on the telescope in the first place?

Secondly.....you are aligning the mount, not the tubes. Your tube can be picked up and rotated all you like, as long as you do not change how the RA axis is pointed (parallel to the earth's axis) it does not matter where you point the tubes. Your mount is still polar aligned. 

Thirdly....whenever you change the alignment or rotation of your guide scope (or off axis guider) relative to your mount, you need to recalibrate. 

Alex 

• dswtan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics