•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro dedicated camera in an observatory

astrophotography CMOS equipment observatory
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lmclouth

lmclouth

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:16 PM

I have a SkyShed POD so my setup is permanent and when not in use is also covered with a reflective tarp (just in case.)

I just got a ZWO ASI2600MC Pro (to replace my Canon EOS 7D Mark II).

Can you (i.e. is it best practice to) leave the ASI2600MC-P attached to the rear of the OTA all the time?

With my 7D Mark II, I would disconnect it from the T-ring and take it in each night after use.  But that was because it could be used during the daytime for other non-astro pictures.

But since the ASI2600MC-P will strictly be used with the telescope, is it okay to leave it attached all the time?

Thank you all for your input,

Lamar

#2 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:18 PM

Why would you not? What is your hesitation? There are plenty of people who have remote observatories far from where they live, they have their equipment set up all the time, fixed in position.

CS!

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 lmclouth

lmclouth

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Davison, MI

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:46 PM

Why would you not? What is your hesitation? There are plenty of people who have remote observatories far from where they live, they have their equipment set up all the time, fixed in position.

CS!

That's a very good point.

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:54 PM

I routinely change between some astrospecific cameras.  And often leave the one I removed in a cabinet in my observatory.  Generally don't take them in unless I want to try a new setup in the warmth of my house.

Been doing that for a few years, haven't noticed any problem.

#5 drd715

drd715

Viking 1

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 03 December 2020 - 12:31 AM

I would think it depends upon the local (site) climate and conditions inside the astro shed. Even inside the shed I would consider using a sheet/dust cover or moisture cover to keep the dust off of the equipment. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, CMOS, equipment, observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics