•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AR 2786 is surrounded by waves

imaging optics solar SCT
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alfred Tan

Alfred Tan

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:19 AM

3Dec - We had a brief moment of fair seeing this morning. It was good enough to catch AR 2786 surrounded by waves of plasma. The equipment setup: C11 SCT fitted with an ARIES D-ERF, Daystar Chromosphere Quark (H-Alpha)  and Basler ace acA1920-155uc camera.

080818%2B200f10icrlvlmk.jpg

Alfred 

• johncandy, R Botero, eros312 and 13 others like this

#2 Stefano Delmonte

Stefano Delmonte

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Salou (Spain) & Broni (Italy)

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:30 AM

Gorgeous Solar image Alfredbow.gif

I don't know why it has a deep field sensation, dark spot and brillant zones seems lowers than grey filaments and I suspect is true, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing.

Ste 

• Alfred Tan likes this

#3 Alfred Tan

Alfred Tan

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2020 - 05:38 AM

Gorgeous Solar image Alfredbow.gif

I don't know why it has a deep field sensation, dark spot and brillant zones seems lowers than grey filaments and I suspect is true, isn't it?

Thanks for sharing.

Ste 

Hi Ste,

Thank you for your kind comment.

This image was produced with minimum processing. I used AS!3 stacking, ImPPG processing (LR deconvolution unsharp masking and tone curve stretching) and minor level and contrast adjustment in Photoshop.  This active region is near the limb and the combination of all features gives us a sense of depth, a kind of 3-D effect. The darker filaments seem to be higher than the brighter areas.  I must take more time to enjoy it and also figure out the high and low areas :)

Alfred   

• Stefano Delmonte likes this

#4 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:44 AM

Beautiful!  I could be totally off base but I believe the depth feeling comes from the fact that you are seeing some of the photosphere showing through below the chromosphere.  I know everyone feels a double stack gives better contrast but I have always loved the feel of SS images on surface features that allows you to actually see the chromosphere floating above the photosphere.  So you really are looking at different levels of the suns atmosphere and that is where some of that depth comes from.  Also, this type of resolution bringing these features so close shows the subtle differences in height between the filaments, spicules, and other features of the chromosphere.

Notice the penumbra of the Spot shows through well and with a DS setup that typically is not visible since that is a photosphere structure.

Edited by rigel123, 03 December 2020 - 06:47 AM.

• R Botero, Alfred Tan, torsinadoc and 1 other like this

#5 Alfred Tan

Alfred Tan

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:14 AM

Thank you Rigel for sharing your perspective.  I like your explanation.  I will remember to share it with my students and also ask them what they think.  

I will find time to go through the video recordings that I made this morning to see if there are any other recordings that are worth sharing here. 

Cheers.

Alfred 

• rigel123 likes this

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:39 AM

Thank you Rigel for sharing your perspective.  I like your explanation.  I will remember to share it with my students and also ask them what they think.  

I will find time to go through the video recordings that I made this morning to see if there are any other recordings that are worth sharing here. 

Cheers.

Alfred 

That sounds great!  Interested to hear your students thoughts!

• Alfred Tan likes this

#7 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:28 AM

Great resolution Alfred!

Very best,

• Alfred Tan likes this

#8 ilan_shapira

ilan_shapira

Mariner 2

• Loc: Israel

Posted 03 December 2020 - 03:00 PM

Wonderful details for such a close image. It totally gives a sense of 3d. Tomorrow it will be even closer to the limb and give an even deeper feeling.

I totally love it!

Edited by ilan_shapira, 03 December 2020 - 03:00 PM.

• Alfred Tan likes this

#9 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 03 December 2020 - 04:20 PM

Extremely beautiful Alfred.
  • Alfred Tan likes this

#10 R Botero

R Botero

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:45 AM

Beautiful Alfred bow.gif  Thanks for sharing it. waytogo.gif

Roberto

• Alfred Tan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imaging, optics, solar, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics