•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomers unveil most detailed 3D map yet of Milky Way

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boxcorner

boxcorner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 45.29,2.22 France (Bortle 3)

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:24 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I thought it might be of interest ...

https://www.theguard...et-of-milky-way

• DCS, City Kid, fjs and 3 others like this

#2 KiwiObserver

KiwiObserver

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for posting. Could be because of the projection, but the animation of the nearby star motions is far more chaotic than what I would have imagined. Seems to be a lot of stars heading in opposite directions, at least relative to us. ... I guess thats it - it's all relative velocities, we're all still moving together around the galaxy.

Also interesting to see how quickly our local neighbourhood spreads out - puts any search for our sibling stars into context

Edited by KiwiObserver, 03 December 2020 - 07:10 PM.

• boxcorner likes this

#3 jgbeall

jgbeall

Vostok 1

• Loc: 34.4N 118.5W

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:45 AM

That's very interesting. It points out how massive the distances are when stars we see seem to be in the same position night after night.

• boxcorner likes this

#4 boxcorner

boxcorner

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 45.29,2.22 France (Bortle 3)

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:53 PM

There is a fascinating Twitter account called Milky Way Astronomers @MAstronomers that I follow.

On 02 Dec 20 they posted this incredible photograph entitled 'Storm under the Milky Way' which is almost 3D.

I do not know who the photographer is, nor how it was produced (Photoshop, etc) but all credit goes to them.

MilkyWayStorm.jpeg

Edited by boxcorner, 06 December 2020 - 01:12 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics