•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tripod recommendation for Celestron SkyMaster 25x100

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 craigs63

craigs63

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2020 - 08:35 AM

(just found this forum, looks like a lot of great info)

I received these binoculars as a surprise gift, I would like recommendations on a good tripod setup. I see some parallelogram mounts (Orion?), that seem to be the most versatile for different viewing positions (seated/reclined/standing). These binoculars are 9 lbs, I am 6'2", it seems like I'll want something sturdy, yet tall.

I am 6'2", would mainly be using them on my deck or back yard, in the light-drenched Chicago suburbs. I'd like to get something before the Saturn/Jupiter conjunction on the 21st, but I am not optimistic about shipping times this season. Thanks.

Craig

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 December 2020 - 09:55 AM

Sooner the better.  Jupter and Saturn are within 2 degrees of each other now, so they will already fit in the field of view.

Parallelograms are the way to go when they don't need to be moved too often.  Seated, standing, sideways - they're great.  The Orion Paragon is not sufficient for these and not comfortable when seated.  The Monster is great, but expensive.  There are supply cruches this time of year in ordinary years.  Building one yourself is not too difficult if you are handy enough.  Search for some plans here if you can do that.  I.e.: parallelogram plans site:cloudynights.com.  As many degrees of freedom as you can get will make observing that much more comfortable.

In the meantime, you are near Chicago.  Craigslist should be active enough there.  Something like this will hold you over.  The tripod in that add is great, the head not at all.  You will need to keep unlocking then locking to move the binos around.  A video head (instead of the photo head it comes with) is much preferred.  Sell it for a loss and consider it a lease when the p-grams are back or you have built your own.

• Jon Isaacs and craigs63 like this

#3 Cali

Cali

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:08 AM

You have ~9 pound piece of glass. Probably something like the Orion Monster Parallelogram Binocular Mount & Tripod. It ain't cheap (499.95). Ideally you'll be using it while sitting down.

There's also the Oberwerk 5000 Series Tripod ($169.95) and Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount) ($349.95). - See video at bottom of page. Combined weight is ~ 35 pounds. Its heavy - I know because this is what I use.

If you go with a traditional tripod only you're going to strain your neck. With a parallelogram you'll be able to comfortably view at zenith. As an alternative you may want to sell your SkyMaster and go with a smaller binocular in the 3 pound range that you can hand hold.

Here is a light pollution map of your area. 

Good luck!

- Cal 

Edited by Cali, 03 December 2020 - 10:23 AM.

#4 David I

David I

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:34 AM

Congratulations Craig, If I was so lucky I would go with the Orion U-Mount and Paragon Plus XHD Package . It rises up to 68 inches high and I think that would put it to your eye level but I don’t know if you can use it sitting down.  Check out the video with Ken from Orion , he is 6 feet tall.

https://www.telescop...inocular mounts

Here is the "Clear Sky Chart" for my area and you can find your suburb in the site.

https://www.cleardar...lLkILkey.html?1

Enjoy

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 03 December 2020 - 10:57 AM

In the meantime, you are near Chicago.  Craigslist should be active enough there.  Something like this will hold you over.  The tripod in that add is great, the head not at all.  You will need to keep unlocking then locking to move the binos around.  A video head (instead of the photo head it comes with) is much preferred.  Sell it for a loss and consider it a lease when the p-grams are back or you have built your own.

:waytogo:

A good find. The mount comes with two heads. The 3047 head is one of my favorites and with cross bar mounting and counter weight could be quite workable.

I wouldn't pay $180 but under $100 would be reasonable.

Jon

#6 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:20 AM

Here's some info on a home brew Parallelogram that's easy to do, cost approx $30.  

Done in a few lazy hours using basic hand tools

- Oak 1" x 2"  (3 or 4 6 foot lengths)

- Two Upper LONG bars are 38" long

- Two Lower Short Bars are 18" long

- Pivot Vertical post is 12" long & made from two 1"x 2" pieces

- Bino Vertical post is 8.5" long & made from two 1"x 2" pieces

- 1/2" Nylon Spacers between long/short bars and vertical post

- 1/4" x 4.5" bolts with LOCK Nuts adjusted to allow movement without slipping + fender washers.

- Kmart 2 x 5 lbs. Barbell, position and type can be customized.

- Good wood glue

-Bino wood hinge allows left/rigth & up/down movement of bino with adjustable friction to limit movement.

- The bino's.are 10x42 and are not too heavy.

The Parallelogram works very well and the Oak makes it very strong.

Attached Thumbnails

• Xeroid Parra-1.jpg
  • Xeroid Parra-2.jpg

• ButterFly likes this

#7 ihf

ihf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 03 December 2020 - 02:06 PM

The conjunction is going to be low on the sky, you could do with a standard photographic tripod for this event.

• craigs63 likes this

#8 craigs63

craigs63

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am probably not motivated enough these days to make one myself, I'll keep an eye out on the used market.

#9 BRCoz

BRCoz

Apollo

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 06 December 2020 - 06:49 PM

For my 25x100 I use a Parallelogram mount like the Farpoint UMB and the tripod I use is from a CG5. 

Also if it is not tall enough Orion SkyView Pro Telescope Mount Extension is 16.

Don't forget the zero gravity chair.

Enjoy what you get.

#10 sunrag

sunrag

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:40 PM

https://rover.ebay.c...tm/193070049488

This is what i use with my Zhumell 25x100. It is quite sturdy and can reach 77” height.
I did have to replace the very short 1/4-20 screw in the dovetail with a longer one, for extra security.

Edited by sunrag, 06 December 2020 - 10:43 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics