•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leonardo da Vinci and other intelligent people sketched the skies

observing imaging sketching observing report
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ziggeman

ziggeman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:19 AM

While the cloud cover here is thick at the moment, I found these interesting links trying to make out what people 'yesterday' saw and looked at when it was clear skies. 

https://www.knowth.com/lunar-maps.htm ( seems they decoded Irish, megalithic observing reports ;-) )

http://adsabs.harvar...JHA....18...55R Leonardo da Vinci did his own sketches and measuring of the moon.

https://issuu.com/li...ic_sky-map_3390 Go back in time 17000 years and see what neanderthals looked at.

Save your drawings! ;)MegalithicDrawingsInACave.jpg

• Alien Observatory and wrnchhead like this

#2 Mark Gingrich

Mark Gingrich

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Mendocino, California

Posted 03 December 2020 - 06:45 PM

An interesting consequence of Leonardo da Vinci's lunar sketches is that they motivated

him to jot the following to-do list item in his notebook: "Fa ochiali da vedere la luna grande."

Translated: "Construct glasses to see the Moon magnified."

This is remarkable because it shows Leonardo was cognizant of the possibility of the

telescope nearly a century prior to its invention!

• jerobe and ziggeman like this

#3 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:51 PM

Thanks for the links.  The Lascaux cave drawing is really interesting.  At first I thought it depicted Auriga and Taurus. Then I saw that what I thought was Auriga is actually Gemini.  The relative position of Castor and Pollux seems off a bit compared to today so I wonder if there's been that much motion in 17000 years. 

Edited by jerobe, 03 December 2020 - 07:54 PM.

• ziggeman likes this

#4 ziggeman

ziggeman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:04 AM

An interesting consequence of Leonardo da Vinci's lunar sketches is that they motivated

him to jot the following to-do list item in his notebook: "Fa ochiali da vedere la luna grande."

Translated: "Construct glasses to see the Moon magnified."

This is remarkable because it shows Leonardo was cognizant of the possibility of the

telescope nearly a century prior to its invention!

Maybe he did. The comment really suggest that!

Edited by ziggeman, 04 December 2020 - 04:04 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing, imaging, sketching, observing report

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics