•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC6188 Rim Nebula - 20 hrs LRGB Data from DSW South

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeffweiss9

jeffweiss9

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 03 December 2020 - 11:56 PM

Here's a go at processing sample DeepSkyWest South (Chile) data in true color (20.2 hours of LRGB).

NGC6188LRGB_HTps1S.jpg

It is my third try from scratch and is the full-sized frame.

Details at:

https://astrob.in/58gcx6/

Hope you enjoy.

CS/Jeff

Edited by jeffweiss9, 04 December 2020 - 11:18 PM.

• Joe G, Jim Waters, psandelle and 9 others like this

#2 jeffweiss9

jeffweiss9

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:09 PM

Another try:

NGC6188LRGB_HTps4HPcr1S.jpg

Edited by jeffweiss9, 26 December 2020 - 07:34 PM.

• rockstarbill likes this

#3 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 27 December 2020 - 03:05 PM

I missed your first posting Jeff. This is a really nice broad spectrum rendition. I can't really say which rendition I like best - they are both pretty nice.

Your astrobin says you use PixInsight. Did you do a photometric RGB calibration with PI? And did you apply it to the nebulosity? I ask because the blue content is high in the emission areas. Some other RGB's show this as well, but not so much some of the narrow band images. It would be interesting to see what the APASS photometric data and PI's routines  would yield in this region and how well the star photometry works when applied to the nebula.

#4 jeffweiss9

jeffweiss9

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:31 PM

Thanks very much again, Jim-

Yes, I definitely applied Photometric Color Combination in PI to the RGB after RGBCombination, applied to everything to try to get accurate color (and have been using PCC since it came out for that reason).  All the PI photometric routines and databases worked fine on this data (once I corrected a center coordinate that somehow was off in the Fits Header).  I did notice the blue content in the upper nebulosity area and just guessed that it was evidence of the strong OIII signal in NB versions that provides superior contrast between the "fighting dragons" and their background nebulosity.

Clear skies,

Jeff

Edited by jeffweiss9, 28 December 2020 - 11:07 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics