•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 130 SLT 2" adapter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:18 AM

Folks,

Picked up a used C130STL.  It came with the native focuser's 60mm-ish hole to 1.25" eyepiece adapter, but not a 60mm-ish hole to 2" adapter.  I found this, but first wondered if this is the same thing, and then, if it is, does Celestron or SkyWatcher make one more reasonably priced?

#2 graffias79

graffias79

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:57 AM

Here is what the adapter looks like on mine. I hope you are able to locate one.

PXL_20201204_054501268~2_resize_20.jpg

PXL_20201204_054458974~2_resize_67.jpg

#3 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 01:28 PM

Yes, exactly, Graffias79!  That's what I need, but don't have.  Does anyone know a reasonably priced source for that adapter?

I took this picture of the drawtube with a ruler.  I wrote "60mm-ish", but looks like it's 57mm, or maybe 58mm ...

Attached Thumbnails

• drawtube.jpg

Edited by CollinofAlabama, 04 December 2020 - 09:23 PM.

#4 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:59 PM

Maybe Scope Stuff has something that would work:

http://www.scopestuf...Visual Adapters

#5 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:10 PM

Last year, I bought a used 130mm SLT that didn't come with a 2" adapter. I contacted Celestron customer service by email about purchasing one directly from them, and they sent me one for free.

It's an odd size, so I think it'll be hard to find another source for these...

On another note, I don't find myself grabbing 2" ep's with this ota very often; it's my largest "one trip, one hand out the door scope", so I tend to use 1.25" ep's in bolt cases in a hip pack when I use this ota.

On another another note, I notice that the secondary is a teeny bit undersized, or at least bare minimum, so the fully illuminated field is probably a little small. That's not really a deal breaker, but it's another reason I feel fine 'limiting' myself to 1.25" ep's with this ota.

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#6 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:55 PM

Don H, thanks, but I looked there already, and Agena, too.  Didn't find a thing at either place, thus this post.

KerryR, I understand about the possibility of field illumination drop off, but I'm not too worried about that, exactly.  First, I have other needs for having a 2" sized drawtube option, besides going from a maximum true field of view from 2.38° to 3.35°, I own two accessories that require a 2" focuser-sized slot to function.  One is an AstroTech (aka GSO) 2" coma corrector, which will reduce my field of view somewhat with its 1.15x magnification, but would produce a flat field across the near 3° true field of stellar real estate.  In addition to that, I also have a 2"-to-1.25" helical focus adapter, for fine-focusing I picked up off Alibaba.com.  Since replacing the standard focuser is a little difficult right now (people don't seem to make adapter plates for 130mm tubes), this should take care of fine-focus issues, but again, I need this 57mm-to-50.8mm Synta focuser adapter.  But thanks for the tip about contacting Celestron directly.  Think I'll do that.

helical-focuser.jpg

Edited by CollinofAlabama, 04 December 2020 - 10:01 PM.

#7 graffias79

graffias79

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:28 AM

My GSO 2" 30mm eyepiece gives a very nice wide field with the SLT.  I will say that the central obstruction is very obvious when using the scope in daylight but I'm sure that has more to do with the low magnification.

#8 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:12 PM

Well folks, here it is ...

with_adapter.jpg

Special thanks to KerryR for his advice to contact Celestron directly.  I did, showed them the CN Classifieds ad when asked for my "proof of purchase", and showed them the pictures of the adapter which I'd gotten from the Stargazer's Lounge site (of a SkyWatcher) and those posted here on this thread.  Well, 16 days later and voilà, everything good.  Thanks SO much to Celestron for the customer servcie.  Bought a pair of tube rings from fellow CNer Jim of New Albany, Mississippi.  I am one happy camper.  ¡Feliz Navidad, babies!

Edited by CollinofAlabama, 18 December 2020 - 08:19 PM.

• Don H and KerryR like this

#9 Don H

Don H

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Near Tucson, AZ

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:34 PM

Glad to hear you're up and running, just in time for the Great Conjunction. Did Celestron give you the part for free? Just curious...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics