•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Revealing background dust in M42 from light polluted skies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MDieterich

MDieterich

Vendor (Planewave Instruments)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:22 AM

Hi all,

Astrophotography from light polluted night skies can reveal wonders of the Universe! Here is the Orion Nebula, which is one of the brightness nebulae visible from Earth, that I captured from Pittsburgh, PA. I cannot believe how much background gas and dust was reveal from here in Pittsburgh! I hope you enjoy this tutorial, and would love to hear your feedback.

Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/uQXO7DU_N6o

(20 x 3 minute subs with a Spencer's Camera Full Spectrum Canon EOS R and Takahashi FSQ-106mm telescope with the EM-200 mount).

Best regards,

Matt

• Starman27, AstroFrankMontana, StarryHill and 3 others like this

#2 StarryHill

StarryHill

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for posting your video... learned lots! Amazing how much detail you pulled out given all the light pollution. Can I ask how you take your flats... light panel, t-shirt, twilight? Did you take them at the same session? Sure like your modded Canon R.... I'm tempted to get a Ra but wonder if a cooled full-frame OSC might be a better way to go to reduce noise even further (but these sure are pricey). Thanks again Matt!

• MDieterich likes this

#3 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:19 PM

Really good stuff, Matt, been working on M42 in H-alpha with my ASI183mm thanks to clear nights only existing during full moon phases for the last 2-3 months....driving me nuts. Hoping next week I can start getting RGB together, unfortunately I only have a 2-3 hour window to shoot it each night. 

• MDieterich likes this

#4 MDieterich

MDieterich

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for posting your video... learned lots! Amazing how much detail you pulled out given all the light pollution. Can I ask how you take your flats... light panel, t-shirt, twilight? Did you take them at the same session? Sure like your modded Canon R.... I'm tempted to get a Ra but wonder if a cooled full-frame OSC might be a better way to go to reduce noise even further (but these sure are pricey). Thanks again Matt!

Thanks guys! I really was blown away by how much background dust was reveal here in Pittsburgh! I used a light panel for the flats with the Canon EOS R set to AV mode. Definitely enjoying the EOS R!

#5 MDieterich

MDieterich

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 05:04 PM

Really good stuff, Matt, been working on M42 in H-alpha with my ASI183mm thanks to clear nights only existing during full moon phases for the last 2-3 months....driving me nuts. Hoping next week I can start getting RGB together, unfortunately I only have a 2-3 hour window to shoot it each night. 

Would love to see that shot Eric! Ya the weather here in Pittsburgh was nice enough for a few weeks, but now the clouds seem to be here for a while lol!

#6 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 06 December 2020 - 10:39 AM

Hi Matt,

Don't you just love all that dust? Here is my take of 1h 35m from a dark sky location.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• M42c.jpg

• Starman27 and MDieterich like this

#7 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Apollo

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 06 December 2020 - 12:46 PM

I saw this post and said, "let's click the YouTube link to see it"... clicked the link and was brought to near the end of the video because I'd already watched it. Seems YouTube's recommendation algorithm works, since I remember seeing this popup in my notifications :). This time, however, I actually remembered to subscribe and like it LOL.

• MDieterich likes this

#8 MDieterich

MDieterich

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:29 PM

Hi Matt,

Don't you just love all that dust? Here is my take of 1h 35m from a dark sky location.

Michael

Wow Michael that is a beautiful rendition!

#9 MDieterich

MDieterich

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 13 December 2020 - 07:30 PM

I saw this post and said, "let's click the YouTube link to see it"... clicked the link and was brought to near the end of the video because I'd already watched it. Seems YouTube's recommendation algorithm works, since I remember seeing this popup in my notifications smile.gif. This time, however, I actually remembered to subscribe and like it LOL.

Haha that is awesome! Ya YT algorithm clearly knows all ;D Hopefully the video was helpful.

#10 MHamburg

MHamburg

Vanguard

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 14 December 2020 - 11:39 AM

Wow Michael that is a beautiful rendition!

Many thanks, Matt.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics