•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TS D Style Dovetail Bar Too Narrow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:46 AM

I have a D style dovetail bar that came with a scope I just bought used. It's 14" long and looks like your standard universal bar but my Farpoint D style attachments won't clamp to it. The bar is a tad too narrow. I also have a Losmandy universal 14" bar and they clamp fine to it. The narrow bar has the letters TS on the side so does this stand for Teleskop Service?

There is really not much that can be done besides getting a proper width bar. Just curious if anyone else with a TS bar has had any issues. I guess another way to look at it is the Farpoint dovetail accessories don't have enough travel in the close direction.

The new scope juju . . . if it's not bad weather then it's equipment glitches to keep you from trying it out.

#2 spongebob@55

spongebob@55

Vanguard

• Loc: Bergen Co. New Jersey

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:34 PM

Never had one too narrow, but I have one on my Evolution 8" OTA which is too wide.  Have to do all kinds of twisting and turning to get it in the clamp.   My 6" SCT and 127 Mak go right in, no problem.  

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 04 December 2020 - 05:01 PM

Post a pic of the TS Dovetail and (or better yet in) the Farpoint Saddle.

I know some older Orion Dovetails looked to be Losmandy compatible but the side angles were different. I've also had odd-ball Saddles that

were supposed to be Losmandy compatible and although they accommodated a Losmandy Dovetail, they only grabbed the Dovetail right at the bottom as the angles (of the Saddle) were different.

#4 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:08 PM

OK, here is a picture straight on looking at the TS plate with the Farpoint saddle and handle. You can see the piece of aluminum I cut to act as a shim so I could get some clamping force. Without the shim there is about 1/32" of play fully tight. You can also see the different angle of the TS dovetail versus the Farpoint saddle.

gallery_332504_14593_129914.jpg

And here is the TS logo on the side of the plate.

gallery_332504_14593_83801.jpg

I don't want to modify the new saddle to match an odd ball plate so the aluminum shim will get me by until I pick up a Losmandy 14" universal plate.. I need to go to Losmandy again anyway to pick up a 12" tripod extension. After that I can use the TS plate for target practice.

Edited by MarMax, 04 December 2020 - 07:11 PM.

#5 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:43 PM

From the pic it looks like the gap between the Saddle is larger than the shim?  Is it closing completely and not grabbing or does the bolt run out of threads?

If the latter maybe add a washer or two between the knob and Saddle

#6 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:46 AM

From the pic it looks like the gap between the Saddle is larger than the shim?  Is it closing completely and not grabbing or does the bolt run out of threads?

If the latter maybe add a washer or two between the knob and Saddle

With the aluminum shim it grabs nicely. Without the shim the saddle closes completely and slides right off the dovetail plate. I think it's the radius that is creating a shadow that makes the gap seem wider. The shim is 1/16" thick.

#7 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:52 AM

One thing I'd try first (before buying another Dovetail) is taking off the clamping block and Sanding or Filing it down (straight/flat) the 1/16" needed to clamp securely

gallery_332504_14593_129914.jpg

#8 MarMax

MarMax

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:13 PM

One thing I'd try first (before buying another Dovetail) is taking off the clamping block and Sanding or Filing it down (straight/flat) the 1/16" needed to clamp securely

I've actually got three of the Farpoint dovetail adapters. One with the handle and two for my 80mm and a set of rings. The adapters also have the threaded rod that the knob attaches to, a couple springs in drilled holes, and two index pins. I'm not really sure how close the tolerances are to start sanding things down. If it was just one I'd do it, but not 3x considering a new plate is $85.

#9 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:27 PM

I've actually got three of the Farpoint dovetail adapters. One with the handle and two for my 80mm and a set of rings. The adapters also have the threaded rod that the knob attaches to, a couple springs in drilled holes, and two index pins. I'm not really sure how close the tolerances are to start sanding things down. If it was just one I'd do it, but not 3x considering a new plate is $85.

Fair enough

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics