•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What should be next in your opinion?

accessories astrophotography filters equipment reflector refractor
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xander50

Xander50

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:00 AM

Hey everyone!

I hope I brought my question to the right the place!

I've been into astrophotography now for a little while (9 months I think?).

My current setup consists of an Ioptron SkyTracker Pro, a Canon EF 135mm (red ring), an unmodified Canon EOS 2000D, an SVbony UHC, counterweight kit, and some necessary stuf like a tripod, intervalometer, etc....

It looks like I will have some budget for new stuff in a little while and I was wondering: What is the best thing I can do next?

I've been thinking about loads of stuff like filters, a camera modification or a new telescope? I just can't seem to figure it out! A telescope would mean an equatorial mount and an apo refractor (but these things would off course mean a bigger investment though).

I think I am in need for a bigger or more precise mount, as my Ioptron SkyTracker has a lot of mistakes in the tracking it does ( I have to throw away so much data afterwards!)

What are your thoughts about this?

Please let me know as it would really help me out!

Thank you in advance!

PS: My interest lies in DSO's (all kinds of DSO's)

kind regards

Edited by Xander50, 04 December 2020 - 03:55 AM.

#2 meegja

meegja

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:49 AM

What is, or will be, you main focus when it comes to objects?
Like you, I am busy with this now for around 9 months and where I started with planets and moons, I am now focusing more and more on smaller, rather unknown objects and especially planetary nebulae. So my equipment is also set more in that direction.

#3 Xander50

Xander50

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:53 AM

What is, or will be, you main focus when it comes to objects?
Like you, I am busy with this now for around 9 months and where I started with planets and moons, I am now focusing more and more on smaller, rather unknown objects and especially planetary nebulae. So my equipment is also set more in that direction.

Hi, thank you for reacting!

My focus lies primarily on DSO's and the details they hold.

Galaxies and nebulae are my greatest interest.

Regards

#4 maxsid

maxsid

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:45 AM

Get an AZ-GTi mount. In EQ/GEM mode it's great and very light.

It's like SkyTracker on steroids - GoTo, WiFi, etc. Can be fully computer controlled.

That was my path to bigger things.

When bought new, it's not capable of EQ (only ALT-AZ) - needs an EQ wedge, counterweight and firmware update. 

But here on classifieds you might be able to get a complete setup for not so much.

It can carry 70-80 mm refractor easily. I use it with AT72ED/CMOS camera or with DSLR with different lenses.

Another option - HEQ5 or AVX mounts but they are much more heavier and pricier.

I have two AZ-GTi's and an HEQ5.

Edited by maxsid, 04 December 2020 - 04:54 AM.

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:14 AM

Hi, thank you for reacting!

My focus lies primarily on DSO's and the details they hold.

Galaxies and nebulae are my greatest interest.

Regards

In order to get sufficient image scale on galaxies, you will need more focal length than you can get with a camera lens. The standard advice is to save for a decent mount that has the payload capacity to handle a longer focal length instrument - whether it be a refractor or other scope.

For wider field nebulae, you can start with a shorter focal length refractor like the AT72EDII (I have one), and a HEQ5 is fine for that. However, when you move up to a longer focal length and bigger scope for galaxies, you will be looking for a beefier mount. Plenty of discussion on the mount options in the Mounts Forum.

#6 Xander50

Xander50

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:29 PM

Get an AZ-GTi mount. In EQ/GEM mode it's great and very light.

It's like SkyTracker on steroids - GoTo, WiFi, etc. Can be fully computer controlled.

That was my path to bigger things.

When bought new, it's not capable of EQ (only ALT-AZ) - needs an EQ wedge, counterweight and firmware update. 

But here on classifieds you might be able to get a complete setup for not so much.

It can carry 70-80 mm refractor easily. I use it with AT72ED/CMOS camera or with DSLR with different lenses.

Another option - HEQ5 or AVX mounts but they are much more heavier and pricier.

I have two AZ-GTi's and an HEQ5.

Thanks for the reply! I'll have a look at it!

#7 Xander50

Xander50

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:31 PM

In order to get sufficient image scale on galaxies, you will need more focal length than you can get with a camera lens. The standard advice is to save for a decent mount that has the payload capacity to handle a longer focal length instrument - whether it be a refractor or other scope.

For wider field nebulae, you can start with a shorter focal length refractor like the AT72EDII (I have one), and a HEQ5 is fine for that. However, when you move up to a longer focal length and bigger scope for galaxies, you will be looking for a beefier mount. Plenty of discussion on the mount options in the Mounts Forum.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, filters, equipment, reflector, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics