•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Milky Way in Cygnus

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alex65

Alex65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:20 AM

As winter approaches we say "good bye" to the summer and autumnal constellations.

Yesterday evening I thought that I'd try capturing some of the Milky Way going through Cygnus and, using a simply digital camera (Canon G9X) on a tripod, took this image. While not the best photo ever taken and quite 'noisy', it does show the Milky Way passing through Cygnus along with the dark dust clouds, such as the Coal Sack. To the left of Deneb the North America Nebula (NGC 7000) is also just visible. Though I have taken 'star shots' before, this is my first attempt at a more detailed astro image.

IMG_8143 (1024x781).jpg

• paulsky, Illinois, payner and 9 others like this

#2 alder1

alder1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:29 AM

Lovely picture, thanks!
  • Alex65 and Borodog like this

#3 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the picture as well. However, its time to get ready for the Winter Milky Way. Yes, not quite as good as the center of our home Galaxy, but still, a lot still to be seen.

Matt.

• Alex65 likes this

#4 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Biggin Hill, Greater London, Bortle 6

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:48 PM

Living in the UK, one can't expect great views of the galactic core, even at the optimal month.

Cygnus and Scutum (for a few months) are as good as it gets.

Fortunately, I absolutely love Cygnus. After Orion, it's my favourite constellation.

Here is a shot of the milky way and Cygnus taken from a Bortle 2 spot near Glencoe, Scotland this past autumn.

Can you pick out Cygnus?

I can't imagine how incredible having Sagittarius high in the sky must be. It must be so bright.

Cheers

9cd21801e602b6d360b89303e4977740.jpg

Sent from my NOTE 10 using Tapatalk
  • Starman27, payner, jcj380 and 8 others like this

#5 dhkaiser

dhkaiser

Viking 1

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:23 AM

That's a wow shot!  What equipment and settings?

#6 Sheol

Sheol

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:00 PM

That one time at the Texas Star Party, I was starting to pack up my gear, because I thought that part of the Milky Way was a thunderstorm! cool.gif So big & bright! Never see that right here, I have to drive hours to get to those areas though.. I wish it was closer.

Clear Skies,

Matt.

#7 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:15 PM

That's a wow shot! What equipment and settings?

Thanks mate. If I recall it was a stack of about 10 or 15 30sec 1600ISO subs taken with the stock 18-50mm lens f4.0 on a canon 4000d and star Adventurer Mini from Onich in Scotland, which is rated as B2.

Wether it was Bortle 2 or more like 2.5, I don't know...
What I do know is that the milky way was a prominent feature in the sky as opposed to a faint smudge. Structure was clearly visible and more amazing is that I could see it within seconds of leaving our brightly lit rented cottage.

There are Bortle 1 locations about an hours drive from where we were. Near the Isle of Skye.

Cheers

#8 Rocklobster

Rocklobster

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:16 PM

That one time at the Texas Star Party, I was starting to pack up my gear, because I thought that part of the Milky Way was a thunderstorm! cool.gif So big & bright! Never see that right here, I have to drive hours to get to those areas though.. I wish it was closer.

Clear Skies,
Matt.

That's super cool. I can believe that after having experienced the middle of nowhere in Scotland.

#9 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:24 PM

Moving this to DSLR, Mirrorless & General-Purpose Digital Camera DSO Imaging.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics