•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tracking Issues with EQ6R-Pro RA Stuck

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cjr

cjr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 06:25 AM

Hey all,

Having some troubles with my EQ6R Pro that i cannot work out. I have looked around for any suggestions on here and tried my own process.

The mount is unable to track in RA from time to time and i cannot work out why.

It will either suddenly stop guiding due to being unable to correct the RA. Or if i set it to sidereal tracking it will sometimes just not work or work at a reduced rate.

It also has issues sometimes when i slew it will just physically stop half way through the slew it will complete the DEC slew get to a certain point and then stop there. Trying it again does not change anything. If i manually slew it with in EQMOD it will sometimes refuse to move other times it will be OK.

Things i have tried

- Balance is very good

- Polar alignment error is 0-1 arc mins

- connected directly to a PC using ASCOM/EQMOD (it is the USB version of the mount)

- Cable management is good and there is no snags or tension on the mount

- Tested all new cables

- I use the cigarette style socket cable that came with the mount and a 12VDC 12.5 Switchmode Power Supply that i bought from a local retailer

- I have updated the firmware on the mount

- I have also checked the clutches on the mount and made sure there is no grease under the clutch buttons.

The weird thing is i still have good imaging sessions i play around with the mount checking/trying any number of things and it will decide to come good but i cannot work out what it might be. Generally releasing the clutch resetting it to home position and restarting all software seems to fix it.

I will say as well that when the mount is on not tracking if i rotate the RA axis it feels like it kind of binds a little bit almost like when you spin a motor coil and it wants to hold to a certain spot.

I cannot for the life of me think of what the issue might be, any suggestions for another line of investigation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#2 spyderbench

spyderbench

Explorer 1

• Loc: Charleston / Walterboro SC

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:03 AM

I had a similar issue with my Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro when I first got it. It would stop mid-slew at times but track well at other times. I changed to a more robust power supply, one with a higher amperage output and the trouble stopped. I'm sure you're aware that these mounts are unusually picky about their power supplies, but I would try that first. I use a Celestron Lithium Pro battery just for the mount  which I believe  can max out at 10 amps and I don't have any problems now.

#3 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:42 AM

I would also suspect the power supply based on my 3 years of owning an EQ6R Pro mount. In my experience the electronics in this mount do not do well with the noisy output of a SMPS. I use a regulated linear supply and what it lacks in efficiency compared to a SMPS it more than makes up in providing clean power with less ripple. The PWM based supplies like yours are fine for the motors but may be problematic for the control circuits.

#4 cjr

cjr

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, i did hear they were a little finicky and suspected that might be the case as i had tried everything else. also great advice AhBok regarding a regulated power supply i shall get one ordered and see if that fixes my issues (i suspect it shall).

Cheers

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics