•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro Pixel Processor - Error Message - anyone know how to clear it?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:19 AM

I keep getting this error message while calibrating a set of lights.  I've tried moving all the files into a common folder but that hasn't stopped it from happening.  I suspect it's really a Windows 10 issue but I'm stuck.  Thought one of you might have seen it before.  Any help will be appreciated.  It is terminating the process.

Screenshot 2020-12-04 071602.jpg

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:44 AM

How long are your sub's names? If you rename them (or copies of them) to a shorter name, will it work? I suspect it's a filename length problem. If your names aren't long,...nevermind.

#3 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Apollo

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

It sounds like something in one of the FITS headers is causing a problem. If you load that particular frame, the grey area just to the left of the display window will show you the metadata embedded in the file. Maybe that will give you a hint as to what is causing the problem? You can expand that window to show the full contents.

#4 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 10:25 AM

The file it's complaining about is a calibration result, not a light or calibration file name, correct? That is to say, do you find any file named like this?

If you've not insane numbers of FITS files, you can look at the FITS header of every one with the following magic incantation. Open a Terminal window (I think it's in Utilities). Resize your Terminal window till it's 33 lines high (look in the title bar for the dimensions). Then:

cd Documents/APP\ Processing/M-31

find . -name '*.fits' -exec more {} \;

Press the "q" key to jump to the next file. Press the spacebar if you need to view more of the same file. Results should look something like the picture. It's a pretty crude way to look at FITS headers -- the rest of the file isn't text! -- but it will let you comb through a lot of them quickly. Hold the "control" key and press "c" to get out of the series entirely.

If the problem is in the metadata of one or more of your .tif files, this technique won't help you, I'm afraid.

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 9.24.48 AM.png

Edited by fewayne, 04 December 2020 - 10:30 AM.

• Dynan likes this

#5 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestions all.  It looks like it's unique to a particular set of flats which I inadvertantly captured as 8-but FITS files.  APP doesn't like 8-bit files and throws a calibration warning when you try to process 8-bit images.  So I've been converting all my 8-bit TIFF stuff to 16-bit using Paintshop Pro but it won't read FITS files.  So for those FITS files I converted them to 8-bit TIF using PIPP and then to 16-bit TIF using Paintshop Pro.  Everything else is working fine except for these FITS to TIFF conversions I tried to pull off.

Since most of my stuff has been in TIFF I don't have the Metadata files to look at. (At least if I'm understanding these filetypes correctly)

#6 fewayne

fewayne

Apollo

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:53 PM

Right. FITS files have a header that's in plain text (yay, good design!). TIFF files also have a header (yay) but it's not plain text (BOO!). Have you asked on the APP forum? I mean, Mabula wrote the error message, he must know what causes it!

• dcaponeii likes this

#7 Dynan

Dynan

Aurora

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

Appreciate the update!

#8 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 10:00 AM

Right. FITS files have a header that's in plain text (yay, good design!). TIFF files also have a header (yay) but it's not plain text (BOO!). Have you asked on the APP forum? I mean, Mabula wrote the error message, he must know what causes it!

I'm in contact with Mabula.  I've got to upload some files for him.  I'm sure I've caused it.  Weather and Moon are still conspiring against me along with work.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics