•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron iPolar Alignment - seeking opinions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lsintampa

lsintampa

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:08 PM

I'm considering the iOptron iPolar polar alignment camera for my AVX mount.

Wondering is anyone has input on how it compares to PoleMaster and if anyone has experience with using it, etc.

#2 rbmcmurt

rbmcmurt

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:24 PM

I've used it before with my Skyguider Pro. I can't speak to how it compares with others, but I found it to be very useful and effective. I used it to take some milky way photos at a beach over the summer. In Bortles Class 3 skies it saw tons of stars and I was able to get polar alignment in about 2 minutes using my camera tripod and the SkyGuider. No complaints at all, and glad I opted for the model with it already built in. The software was pretty intuitive and I (a complete novice) had no problem figuring it out. 

• lsintampa likes this

#3 rhart426

rhart426

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 December 2020 - 02:39 PM

Not a lot of difference, they both do the job.  The iPolar does have the added benefit of internal integration with iOptron mounts, but that isn't a consideration for you.  Just get whichever you can get a better deal on.

• lsintampa likes this

#4 Jayhawk1989

Jayhawk1989

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Sarasota, FL

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:39 PM

Hi Tampa, I'm just down the highway in Bradenton. 

I've used the PoleMaster with an AstroTrac, and Sky Guider Pro (SGP), which improved my polar alignment significantly vs the respective polar scopes for the two mounts.  Just as important, the PoleMaster also made polar alignment infinitely easier.  The iPolar came out at the same time I had connection issues with the PoleMaster (electronics...not worth fixing).  Disappointed with the longevity of the PoleMaster, I decided to replace it with an iPolar.  I've had the iPolar in use with the SGP for about 2.5 years and have a second one that came with the CEM 40 I purchased about a year ago.  Like the PoleMaster being so much easier to achieve polar alignment compared to polar scopes, the iPolar is even easier.  I wish I could give you a comparison of the polar alignment error between the two but I don't have PoleMaster data.  I can say with certainty, since I started guiding and using the guiding assistant in PHD2 software, my error is never more than 0.4 arcmin, which I achieve in just a couple of minutes.  

Hope that helps.  

Clear dark skies,

Jay

• lsintampa likes this

#5 lsintampa

lsintampa

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tampa, Fl

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:42 PM

Hi Tampa, I'm just down the highway in Bradenton. 

I've used the PoleMaster with an AstroTrac, and Sky Guider Pro (SGP), which improved my polar alignment significantly vs the respective polar scopes for the two mounts.  Just as important, the PoleMaster also made polar alignment infinitely easier.  The iPolar came out at the same time I had connection issues with the PoleMaster (electronics...not worth fixing).  Disappointed with the longevity of the PoleMaster, I decided to replace it with an iPolar.  I've had the iPolar in use with the SGP for about 2.5 years and have a second one that came with the CEM 40 I purchased about a year ago.  Like the PoleMaster being so much easier to achieve polar alignment compared to polar scopes, the iPolar is even easier.  I wish I could give you a comparison of the polar alignment error between the two but I don't have PoleMaster data.  I can say with certainty, since I started guiding and using the guiding assistant in PHD2 software, my error is never more than 0.4 arcmin, which I achieve in just a couple of minutes.  

Hope that helps.  

Clear dark skies,

Jay

Awesome to hear.  Ordering the iPolar now.  

FOO member?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics