•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CGEM II vs EQ6R-Pro

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:17 PM

ok, after xmas I'm going to upgrade my mount and looking at these 2, trying to decide.  both are in my price range and either way, will be mounted on my pier so transportation (weight) is not an issue.  Primary use will be a C9.25 and I have no inclination to get involved with AP and have been in this for a while so I don't think this will change. 

question is, pros and cons of each one.  I like the idea of belt drive on the SW, but the CGEM II is supposed to have improved motors and quieter than the older units.  otherwise, can anyone add any experiences?  I'm looking at new, but might buy used if the right deal comes up.  my CG5's are just getting too long in the tooth, don't carry the 9.25 very well and maybe, I might want a C11 in the future.  I'm looking for reliability and ease of use.  NO AP.

comments?

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:36 PM

With no AP I would go with the CGEM II simply because the Celestron Nexstar interface is a whole lot more user friendly than any of the others I have used. I  would favor the EQ6R-Pro possibly as having better reliability although my first gen hyper-tuned CGEM has never given me any problems. However I only use it at star-parties preferring non-goto mounts the rest of the time.

• Mike G. and Bean614 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics