•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy G11g Polar Scope / Polemaster Question, please help.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jakecru

jakecru

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Nevada, USA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:25 PM

Last month I purchased a Losmandy G11g and it was pre assembled before I picked it up. I haven't had a chance to try the mount yet, but I hope to this week. I am about to order either a polar scope or polemaster for the mount, but looking at my mount I think the motor may be in the way of proper installation of a polemaster. Here are some pictures. Is the motor easy to move out of the way? If so, which screws should I losen to change its orientation? This is probably a stupid quiestion, but I don't want to mess up my new mount! Also, side question. Is there any reason to get the illuminated polar scope over a polemaster for the polar scope? I am leaning towards a pole master. As far as I can tell on differences, the polemaster seems to be easier to use and more accurate, but the illuminated polar scope doesn't require a computer in the field to use it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201204_121512.jpg
  • 20201204_121523.jpg

#2 jakecru

jakecru

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:26 PM

This is what I am thinking would be in the way of a polemaster or polar scope:

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201204_1215122.jpg

#3 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, US

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:27 PM

Whoever built it put the motor in upside down. Watch the Losmandy YouTube channel.

#4 jakecru

jakecru

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:35 PM

I just watched a video, it appears I just need to carefully remove the two small screws on the base of the motor to the mount, carefully pull out the motor, flip it, and reinstall the screws. I don't see how this could hurt the mount, but hopefully I don't mess something up! 

#5 slepage

slepage

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 04 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

Either way, it will not matter.  Unscrew the polar cover cap.  You will see that you have to turn the the Dec about 90 degrees to line up the sight hole.  This will get the motor out of the way.  The origination of the motor as it is, might be beneficial,  depending on the scope you are using.  I would not change anything unless you call Scott first over at Losmandy and see what he has to say.

Steve

#6 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:10 PM

jakecru,

The polar scope is just fine for visual, but I don't think it's accurate enough for long exposure photography.  Like you said, though, no need for a computer, but if you're photographing you'll have a computer out there anyway.

As slepage says, for the polar scope, you'll have to rotate your declination axis approximately 90o to view through the polar scope, so the current orientation of your  motor won't matter.  Having to rotate the declination axis, as I understand it, is a hold-over from the "old days" when long refractors and Newtonians were more common.  Having the scope pointing east-west instead of north-south when doing a polar alignment.

You have it right.  There are two #6 screws which hold the motor in place.  If you remove those screws you can pull the motor straight out (parallel to the motor shaft).  Then you can rotate the motor 180o and reinstall it.  It won't affect the operation of the mount at all.  It looks to me like the motor housing might hit your declination housing if you try to "flip" the motor, though. 

Good luck.

#7 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, US

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:41 PM

I just watched a video, it appears I just need to carefully remove the two small screws on the base of the motor to the mount, carefully pull out the motor, flip it, and reinstall the screws. I don't see how this could hurt the mount, but hopefully I don't mess something up! 

It won't hurt the mount. As shown in the video on the Losmandy channel, just unscrew those two, rotate the motor 180 degrees and screw them back in.

Either way, it will not matter.  Unscrew the polar cover cap.  You will see that you have to turn the the Dec about 90 degrees to line up the sight hole.  This will get the motor out of the way.  The origination of the motor as it is, might be beneficial,  depending on the scope you are using.  I would not change anything unless you call Scott first over at Losmandy and see what he has to say.

Steve

What? Sure, you might have to move the dec, but that doesn't move the motor assembly. That stays right where it is.

#8 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:40 PM

What? Sure, you might have to move the dec, but that doesn't move the motor assembly. That stays right where it is.

Oh, yeah, duh...  

#9 slepage

slepage

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:10 AM

Yes, you guys are right. I was not thinking correctly.

The motor will not rotate out of the way

#10 weis14

weis14

Mariner 2

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:18 PM

I agree that the motor needs to be turned 180 degrees. I have a GM811G that I think uses the same motors and the plug is positioned opposite of this one.
  • Wildetelescope likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics