•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pier extension for StarSeeker IV Tripod?

equipment mount tripod
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:45 PM

All,

Since I put the mount on a Berlebach Report 212, I am looking for a better extension for my extra StarSeeker IV Tripod (to make it a mount for binoculars using the Paragon Plus) 

Right now I am cludging together an extension using M12 (what center hole is on SSIV) to 3/8"-16 thread reducer, then a a 3/8"-16 bolt extension and a couple 3.5" metal tube extensions that use 3/8"-16 on each end from B&H (tried their carbon fiber extension rod for cameras but it was too wobbly) to end up with a raised 3/8"-16 plate.  But instead of more 3.5" extensions to make it taller, it would be nice to use the 16" Skyview Pro extension (or even Atlas extensions, etc.) from Orion/Skywatcher...but what are the center hole bolts on these, and can I make the top plate easily into a 3/8"-16 center bolt flat plate? Or if anyone knows of a ~12" 3/8"-16 center hole metal extension tube, that would work as well.

If I have to stick with what I have that is fine, just three or four 3.5" tubes stacked on each other will look a little wonky.

Thanks!

ABQJeff

Edited by ABQJeff, 04 December 2020 - 03:46 PM.

#2 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 04 December 2020 - 03:57 PM

I have an SSIV and the M12 just locks the spreader to the tripod only. The M12 does not go thru to the bottom of the mount. If you remove the mount's 3 bolts you will find the mount itself has a 3/8-16 on the bottom so it could be mounted to a HD photo tripod (I did not find this as sturdy as I wanted). I used this and a washer and 3/8-16 bolt to mount my SSIV on the much sturdier surveying tripod that Stellarvue used on the M2D mount. Locks it down solid enough to carry my Intes MK67 on the SSIV. If you still want to do that you will find that Stellarvue has 12" riser columns that can be equipped with an M12 bottom thread and a 3/8-16 top thread.

#3 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 05:15 PM

I have an SSIV and the M12 just locks the spreader to the tripod only. The M12 does not go thru to the bottom of the mount. If you remove the mount's 3 bolts you will find the mount itself has a 3/8-16 on the bottom so it could be mounted to a HD photo tripod (I did not find this as sturdy as I wanted). I used this and a washer and 3/8-16 bolt to mount my SSIV on the much sturdier surveying tripod that Stellarvue used on the M2D mount. Locks it down solid enough to carry my Intes MK67 on the SSIV. If you still want to do that you will find that Stellarvue has 12" riser columns that can be equipped with an M12 bottom thread and a 3/8-16 top thread.

Thanks Photoracer, yes this is what I did in moving my SS IV mount to a Berlebach 212 tripod (we exchanged earlier on this).   Leave it to Orion/Synta to have the three bolts on the side be 3/8"-16, the center hole in the SSIV mount head 3/8"-16, BUT the center hole in the tripod be M12!

Where I am at now is repurposing the leftover Orion tripod for my binos using a paragon plus.  I saw your post on another thread (https://www.cloudyni...ifferent-mount/)  about repurposing the tripod by just taking out the center rod and using a 24" 3/8"-16 rod all the way thru the middle of the tripod and using a new washer and wing nut to hold the spreader plate.

But I went the route of adapting the M12 center hole down to to a 3/8"-16 thread (cheaper than getting the Berlebach Astro tripod adapter, >$100 with shipping).  But however it is done, I would need 3/8"-16 extension tube (if I don't want to raise up the tripod legs, which I don't want to do)  

So I am currently looking for 3/8"-16 based, or anything compatible with M12, pier extension/riser that would be better than a carbon fiber tube (meant for cameras, but has a 20 lb weight rating) or the multiple nice aluminum, but only 3/5" extensions, that I currently have. 

Be nice if there was a good 12" metal pier extension with flat plates on top and bottom with a 3/8"-16 hole in one end and 3/8"-16 center bolt on the other end.

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 07 December 2020 - 07:06 PM

The SV riser I have can have 3/8-16 and several other thread sizes on the bottom of the tube. See this link here.

https://www.stellarv...llarvue-mounts/ and look at the various combos.

• ABQJeff likes this

#5 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 December 2020 - 03:35 PM

The SV riser I have can have 3/8-16 and several other thread sizes on the bottom of the tube. See this link here.

https://www.stellarv...llarvue-mounts/ and look at the various combos.

Thanks I saw those, but they state those extensions are solely for their heads.  Note: see my update soon, I got the M12 to 3/8"-16 conversion to work with $12 in parts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, mount, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics