•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

More eyepieces for the Oberwerk 100XL binocular telescope

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 04 December 2020 - 05:12 PM

I have the Oberwerk 100XL binocular telescope and they came with their own 70° 14mm (40x) eyepieces.  I was looking to increase this to the maximum 80x zoom with some 7mm eyepieces.  Should I just go with Oberwerk's 70 degree 7mm eyepieces from their website?

https://oberwerk.com...cope-eyepieces/

I'm usually used to buying ES eyepieces at 82 degrees.  Any other recommendations like Televue, etc or just get the pair from Oberwerk?

#2 HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 09:53 PM

https://www.astronom...6.html?___SID=U

How about the above instead of the Oberwerk 7mm pair?

#3 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 06 December 2020 - 01:03 AM

Your Oberwerk bino's appear to be very similar to those offered by APM - so I think the objectives are about f/5.6. This is reasonably forgiving for many eyepiece designs. That said, most folk have binocular vision that extends through roughly 70°, so there's no great reason to chase ultrawides, unless you have something that's reasonably close to what you're after.

Nevertheless, there are plenty of options. I have a pair of 7mm Nagler Type 6's (that's your second link.) These are great (albeit expensive) eyepieces provided you don't need to use glasses when observing. If you do need glasses - say to correct astigmatism - then you'd be wise to pick something with a little longer eye relief. You could refer to Don's eyepiece buyer's guide which is available here... High end options with a lot of eye relief would be the Pentax or TV Delite 7mm and the Delos 8 mm. Ergonomically, I prefer the Pentax, optically, I think the TV offerings are a little better.

Don't lose sight of how critical the collimation will become as you increase magnification. Besides collecting light, telescopes act as optical angle magnifiers and you may pass the threshold where your eyes can compensate for the misalignment.

• HouseBuilder328 likes this

#4 HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 December 2020 - 04:05 PM

You're right, with the focal length of 560mm, not much benefit over the 70 degree eyepieces.  Most likely, I'll save my money and buy the Oberwerk 7mm.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics