•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG-4 Declination issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 auggie doggie

auggie doggie

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Winchentucky, Massassippi

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:16 PM

Yesterday my Celestron / Omni XLT Series CG-4 arrived and I immediately set about assembling it. I've had an 80's Vixen model with the wooden tripod and loved it's manual operation and was looking forward to reliving yesteryear.

Well, the Declination 'gear' offers resistance and a sort of crunching sound every revolution. Turn the knob and it's smooth till it comes to a spot, tuning gets stiff and makes sound, then gets smooth again till coming back to the same time in rotation.

It's brand new! I felt fortunate to get it given the supply chain issues we're facing these days. Where's the quality control on these things?

Anyway, I'm reluctant to dismantle and pack it all up and ship it back if there's something that I can do to repair it. Anybody run into this? Anybody have a solution?

#2 terrypaula

terrypaula

Ranger 4

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:33 PM

I believe you need to remove some tension from the worm gear assemblies.

#3 auggie doggie

auggie doggie

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:34 AM

I don't dare disassemble it (warranty) not knowing what's under there. So I've been 'rocking' it back and forth thru the rough spot and it seems to be improving the feel.

The machined gears were either out of tolerance, had burrs, or bad grease. I was just wondering if this is a known issue or is mine a one off.

#4 SuperSirLink

SuperSirLink

Ranger 4

• Loc: Shenandoah Valley, Va.

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:01 AM

I don't dare disassemble it (warranty) not knowing what's under there. So I've been 'rocking' it back and forth thru the rough spot and it seems to be improving the feel.

The machined gears were either out of tolerance, had burrs, or bad grease. I was just wondering if this is a known issue or is mine a one off.

You don't need to disassemble it to make the adjustment... Take a look at this video...https://youtu.be/sqwVBIkcCjU

The CG-4 is a nice mount, but it depending on individual tolerances, it can benefit from such adjustments.  I for one did a complete tear down and basic hyper-tunning by polishing mating surfaces and using better grease...

• BoldAxis1967 and auggie doggie like this

#5 auggie doggie

auggie doggie

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:04 AM

Thank You! Just what I needed. Thank you.

• SuperSirLink likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics