•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Classic c8 R.A. Clutch loose

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2020 - 07:43 PM

Just recently bought a classic C8 with tripod for 350$, got a pretty awsome deal for what I’m looking for I think.  Drove a couple hours to get it.  It seems to work great except for the R.A clutch  seems loose, can’t get it to lock in place, and hence when I observe , objects kinda quickly drift from view , super annoying! Anyone know how I can fix this?

pictures below..

thanks!!

mike 

Attached Thumbnails

• D92F5449-2F4D-4140-B665-3D514A07B0B3.jpeg
  • C35CB9B8-039D-4E7E-A706-ABFAB02EE3C7.jpeg

#2 Beastmaster

Beastmaster

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Diego, California

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:26 PM

I'm not sure if this helps - I had a similar issue when I got my Celestar 8 where I had to use a small Allen wrench to tighten the connections.  There are some some small set screws where the knobs attach.  I also ended up getting a new fine control RA knob via eBay which was helpful:

https://www.ebay.com...rYAAOSwkIdbtDaR

Good luck - great find and a scope that is fun to view with.

#3 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 04 December 2020 - 08:31 PM

Loosen the two set screws on the clamp lever and pull it off.  The stud it slips over should have a slot for a screw driver.  Tighten it with that reasonably so the scope doesn’t move.  Slide the lever back down into the position you show and re tighten the set screws without rotating the stud until the set screws are tight.

Dave

• Bean614 likes this

#4 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2020 - 03:57 PM

Loosen the two set screws on the clamp lever and pull it off.  The stud it slips over should have a slot for a screw driver.  Tighten it with that reasonably so the scope doesn’t move.  Slide the lever back down into the position you show and re tighten the set screws without rotating the stud until the set screws are tight.

Dave

Which  set screws? All 6 of (4 silver metal and 2 black) those metal “screws” on the top of the black metal clamp thingy don’t have indentations in them to “unscrew” anything.  The only area where I see a hole for a screwdriver to fit is on the side of the clamp lever..and even then nothing really tightens when I stick a screw driver in there ..hmm ;/

Attached Thumbnails

• C3D1A7AF-8028-48AE-A234-F5CBBA8A6B2E.jpeg

Edited by Mike Selz, 08 December 2020 - 03:59 PM.

#5 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:14 PM

No the set screws that fix the black handle to its shaft. Make sure you can get to the screws with an Allen (hex) wrench. Loosen the screws until you can pop the handle off then move it CCW and screw it down again. Move it CW to see if it tightens up enough. If it does you are OK. If not do it again. You want the lever to be at a point where near all the way CW it firmly locks up the RA and when all the way CCW it is free enough to move the scope by just moving the forks. Looks like the RA slow-motion control has a bent shaft. It can be removed and straightened but its a tedious job. Does not have to be perfect either.

#6 Mike Selz

Mike Selz

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:41 PM

Ah never mind, all I had to do was get it on the tripod it came with and it completely fixed the problem . Just to think it was THAT simple lol thank god haha

appreciate the help anyways guys!!

#7 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2020 - 10:25 PM

I just noticed from your additional pictures you have an aftermarket Tuthill micro drive on the RA which has the slow motion knob dangling off the side like it might be broken.  I don’t know if Tuthill used a longer stud for the RA clamp to clear that, but you might try taking it off and seeing if you can go back to the normal configuration. The slow motion knob should fit the drive base if the black plastic housing can be removed.

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics