•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I have some issues with the Celestron SkyFi Module.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 astro4565

astro4565

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: UT

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:37 AM

So I got my wifi working at my house. Believe me, you need to try this device out at home before you go out to a dark site.

I opened Sky Safari5 Plus. I did a four star alignment with my Celestron AVX mount. I clicked on M57 or the Ring Nebula, it was right in the eyepiece. I clicked on M27 or the Dumbell Nebula and hit Goto. It went to M27 and was in the eyepiece, a 12mm Nagler. So I'm happy and I yelled "Hey, this thing works!". So I decided to go to M39 in Cygnus. And that is when the problems started. I told it to goto M39. It didn't go to M39, the telescope when to the other direction and was pointing at the ground. Meanwhile my buddy was having troubles with his ASIAIR device for his camera. We thought that the devices were interfering with one another. So I turned off the power and removed the device. I plugged in the hand controller and we didn't have anymore glitches or problems after that. My buddy said his device worked fine after I turned it off.

So I am wondering how far apart our wifi devices need to be? Can I hook up the Sky fi device on the AUX port and still run the hand controller? Or is it it one or the other? I was also concerned about running my battery down on my phone. I have a charger that I can use till I get to the observing site. I may upgrade my phone and get a better battery in a couple of months. It's a neat thing to use when it is working. But I would rather use my hand controller when other people are trying to use their devices. I'm doing the visual thing but I know how frustrating astrophotography can be. I may try it out at home when the moon is up. 

#2 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 05 December 2020 - 12:41 PM

Hi astro4565!

I am using a Sky Safari wifi unit with my Celestron ASGT mount, not unlike the Celestron SkyFi module. I attach my wifi unit to a connector on the bottom end of the hand controller, which is the only option for this mount. The bonus of this is that I can use the directional buttons on the HC instead of those available in Sky Safari which are much easier to manipulate especially with gloves on. Check the u/s of your controller for a connection point. I have attached a photo of the bottom end of my hand controller with the serial connector attached. In this case it is a 4-pin phone connector out to a 9-pin serial connector which then is attached to a computer. In my case, I use a SkyWire cable that hard connects my iPhone to my HC. Works beautifully. I hope there are some helpful bits in here.

You should check out how your wifi unit works without a second wifi module operating nearby

Cheers, Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1009.jpg

#3 astro4565

astro4565

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: UT

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:37 PM

Ranger 4 you make a good point about using the Hand Controller with the big arrows. This is helpful in cold weather. Do you hook it up before your alignment? I need to find the right cord. I looked at High Point Scientific but I didn't see anything yet. The Hand Controller has 5 pins on the back of it. It would be nice to run both cause doing the phone for 6+ hours can run the battery down.

#4 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:17 PM

Hi astro4565!

The first name is Chris! grin.gif  I do so much prefer using real names but I do understand others wanting to maintain their privacy. As with all Sky Safari applications and I suspect those using computers as well, all alignment procedures must be completed first, prior to connection to SS or computer. I do most of my observing during the winter given the lack of mosquitoes and the extended dark hours...one can easily get in 6 hours of observing before midnight, allowing a good nights sleep and getting up on a work day. I am retired now so that is no longer an issue. Having a POD makes start-up and shut-down a 5 minute affair further increasing the convenience of getting out and observing.

You note that you have a 5-pin connector, RJ variety I am guessing. I am just looking at my SynScan wifi module that I use with my HEQ5 mounts...it has an 8-pin RJ connector. Is that pin count the same as your Celestron wifi module? The 4-pin RJ to serial cable that I have is an actual Celestron cable specifically for that use. I wonder if such a cable is also available for your newer version hand-controller. Check your mount manual..there should be information in there specific to computer connections. Scope Stuff is a great place to get misc. cables and such.

Let me know how you fair out.

Cheers, Chris.

#5 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:01 PM

Imagine a star party where multiple people have both devices.

• astro4565 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics