•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZEQ25 Dec Axis backlash. Lubrication?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 larryjh

larryjh

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Marriottsville, MD, USA

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:37 AM

Hi All,

I have a ZEQ25 mount that I am getting nice imaging results from, but it has significant DEC backlash, which is an issue for guiding.  I am trying to tune up the mount and have disassembled it to be able to access the DEC axis.  I have noticed that the rotation of the DEC axis is somewhat stiffer than the RA axis and is also stiffer at different parts of a full circle of rotation than others.  So, I am hoping to somehow make the rotation smoother.  I was wondering if anyone has done this.  Here are two photos of where I am:

view from gear side:

DECaxis1.jpg

view from other side:

DECaxis2.jpg

I'm afraid to proceed further because I'm not sure if I should try to remove the axis or how I would do it.  There appear to be two tiny set screws on a retaining ring on the internal side (second photo).  If that's what they are, they are very difficult to access and I don't seem to have a small enough hex wrench.  Maybe there is a way to lubricate the axis without removing it.  I would appreciate any input. 

Also, if anyone has made any adjustments to their ZEQ25 that have improved DEC backlash, I would love to hear about that too.  I have attempted to put a small roller from a tape deck into the DEC housing to tighten the belt but it doesn't seem to have helped.  Here is a photo of that:

Belt.jpg

Thanks for any responses!

#2 larryjh

larryjh

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Marriottsville, MD, USA

Posted 07 December 2020 - 10:19 AM

I'll bump this once in case anyone can chime in.  I know most people have moved on from their ZEQ25.  Perhaps I should have made the title "vintage mount" to get more interest!

#3 Waldemar

Waldemar

Viking 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 08 December 2020 - 01:49 PM

Sorry I can't help you with the adjustments for this mount, but it is not a good idea to try to lubricate with a different kind of grease then what is in it.
Best thing to re-lubricate would be to take it apart, clean with brake-cleaner and a toothbrush and re-lube with SuperLube grease (the best i.m.h.o.)

Maybe this link cab help you with tuning your mount: https://www.youtube....h?v=-Cjqs4iDW1c

Good luck and succes!

• larryjh likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics