•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn and Jupiter with DSLR and ESPRIT 100ED

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stafford, VA

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:29 PM

I am really excited for the conjunction.  I'd love to image it.  I have a full frame DSLR with video capability.  Is it possible to image the conjunction through the 550mm ESPRIT 100ED?  DSOs are my expertise.  Never done planetary.

#2 mikeinlehigh

mikeinlehigh

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:37 PM

The problem is lack of focal length. You'll pretty much have two star like objects. If you could image them afocal, through an eyepiece or Power mate, you might get some image size. Meade used to make an eyepiece holder that attached to a T-Ring for your DSLR and the other end just inserted into your 1.25 focuser. The eyepiece fit inside the tube. I haven't seen anyone use that setup for years. Most decent planetary imaging is done with multiple frames stacked to produce the image. I suppose you could use the video selection on your DSLR. Unfortunately your setup is just not conducive to planetary imaging. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

#3 Seanem44

Seanem44

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stafford, VA

Posted 08 December 2020 - 04:29 PM

I figured as much...  oh well.  

#4 andysea

andysea

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:44 PM

I was actually thinking the same thing. My scope is 130mm f6.3 so slightly longer focal length. I was going to try with a barlow and use the Canon 5D IV.

Based on what I read you need to use a program that can capture live view at 5x magnification. That, on some Canon cameras, will give you 1:1 sampling. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe there is a better way?

I think a wide field with some detail and maybe stars added with HDR method would be a stunning shot. 
I am concerned that using true planetary techniques on two planets int he same FOV at high resolution might be very challenging. For example I don't even know how you would derotate two planets in the same shot.

Don't give up on your idea! I am going to practice if the rain lets up at some point:)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics