•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Figuring my 150mm F4 mirror

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mikymike

mikymike

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:30 PM

Hello everyone !

I started working on a 150mm mirror 3 years ago. Everything went fine up to polishing. Then I had an issue that put me off for more than 2 years ! In short, my polishing tool with ceramic tiles runs out of tiles on the edges and ruined the outer 10mm at the edge. I understood this quite late because I've polished the mirror but when Ronchi testing, I saw that the bands went nuts on the edges.

I didn't had much grit left, only a few spoons of 9/5/3um. So I heavily beveled and channeled the tool and went back to fine grinding then polishing. All with short strokes MOT.

The ronchigram was better but I clearly see that there's always a rolled edge. (see picture - There's a couple more bands in reality).

So after 2 years, I decided to try to figure out if I ended up with "total garbage/crazy time spent for nothing" or if I can correct this.

I set up a quick Bath interferometer and tried my first igrams. It took me some time to get something but I think I have a couple of shots which work.

Could you please tell me what you think about that ? Can I try to restart polishing with a new tool and pitch and get a sphere or is the error too big to correct with cerium oxyde before I get old ;) ?

I'm quite surprised to see the big astigmatism shown by the Bath... I don't see that with the Ronchi test.

This is a 149mm 1190-1192mm ROC (if I measure it correctly). I should add that it's a meniscus. Yes I started by grinding the backside to have a meniscus mirror. I thought it was a good idea back then... That it would do a better mirror (when cooling)... Yeah... that might be right for people Actually able to finish a mirror :D

See attached pictures :
Ronchi
setup1
setup2
Average45 135

Bye,

Michaël

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics