•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CG5 Advanced with EQstar Plus

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:31 PM

Im unsure of it would or not. Definitely contact astrogadget. They return emails very quickly.
  • emflocater likes this

#52 emflocater

emflocater

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 27 February 2021 - 06:41 PM

Im unsure of it would or not. Definitely contact astrogadget. They return emails very quickly.

Its exactly like the CG5-ASGT but without any electronics. I'll email them and see.

Cheers

Don

• Fitz8710 likes this

#53 Celerondon

Celerondon

Explorer 1

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

Yes Don, do that. Have you visited the Astro-Gadget website yet? All you have to do is select the EQStarPro kit that is assembled to fit your mount family. One of the kits is actually called the EQStarProEQ5 - GoTo drive upgrade kit.

As far as compatibility goes, I just installed that specific kit on a Vixen GP. I haven’t had a chance to test it yet but the controller, button joystick, and motors work fine so far. 

Don

Edited by Celerondon, 02 March 2021 - 04:31 PM.

• emflocater and Fitz8710 like this

#54 Lastinline

Lastinline

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 05 March 2021 - 02:56 PM

Just an update on my experience with the EQStar Pro on my ES/Bresser EXOS-2GT.

Overall I found the installation relatively straightforward. I was able to control the mount via EQMOD relatively easily. So no major complaints regarding functionality. I did have a difficult time trying to control the mount from my phone via the EQStar wifi connection, and ultimately gave up after fiddling for a while, but this is not that important to me.

The biggest issue for me was the noise while tracking, which is something others have already noted. I am used to mounts making noise while slewing, but the RA stepper motor emits a shrill whine just to track the sky. I found the noise unacceptable and tried a number of ways to reduce it, including a number of attempts to dampen/suspend the motors from the brackets via silicone o-rings and to wrap the whole motor in modeling putty. None of this worked for me.

I am keeping it around as a backup/project mount, and still think that it's great value for DIYers who don't mind some noise pollution while observing/imaging. However I did pull the trigger on a rare in-stock HEQ5 Pro and am very happy with it.

Ji-Soo

Edited by Lastinline, 05 March 2021 - 03:26 PM.

#55 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 05 March 2021 - 05:19 PM

You can lower the torque of the steppers to reduce noise. My CEM70 has steppers and it is not as loud as my EQstar

#56 Between17

Between17

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Here on the wet coast of Canada

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:57 PM

Other than Declination backlash which is common in this mount this Eqstar is a great improvement.

This is unfortunate as I am looking at the EQstar as a way to get rid of the DEC backlash I am struggling with on my mount. Sounds like I need to understand better where exactly the backlash is coming from before I can know if the EQstar will help. Anyone else have any info on backlash improvements using one of these?

Also, I am wondering what is the difference between the Astro-Gadget EQstar and the AstroproService EQdrive? They look like extremely similar products and both these companies are based in the Ukraine.

#57 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 March 2021 - 02:28 PM

The backlash comes from the worm gear and the fact that it only has 1 good bearing in the declination shaft. There are some vixen models that have 2 bearings. Eq star at least gets rid of most (not all backlash) that the motor gearing on basic Cg5 style gotos have. In other words you will still have the worm gear backlash. This can be mitigated some by only guiding in ine direction. North or south depending on which way your polar alignment is off. You can intentionally put error on your PA to assist this. I reccomend with a cg5 to get a light weight ed80 triplet or equivalent. I used an 8 inch newt and it was just too much for accurate guiding. Never got to try it with a small refractor but i bet it will have acceptable results.

Edited by Fitz8710, 08 March 2021 - 02:29 PM.

#58 datgeek

datgeek

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Snow Hill NC

Posted Yesterday, 08:44 AM

There's a port on the control box marked "HC"... that's where you plug in to

Sorry to hijack this thread,.I have been reading closely. I bought the EQSTARPRO and put it on an "OLD" CG5 mount, I can get it to work with the computer but really wanted a handheld portable option. I Broke down and bought an Orion Synscan unit.(07947) when I plug it in to the ST4 port on the EQSTAR box, it does not power on ?? when I plug a USB Cable into the synscan unit it powers on but does not recognize the eqstar. any help or suggestions ? yes it is the most recent version of the Synscan that came with all three cables. and has the latest firmware. I only have one telescope that I could check it with otherwise, a skywatcher virtuoso. and it controlled it no problem. I hope some kind soul can help me or I just waisted 150$ on a controller I will never use. thanks in advance. 

#59 datgeek

datgeek

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Sorry to hijack this thread,.I have been reading closely. I bought the EQSTARPRO and put it on an "OLD" CG5 mount, I can get it to work with the computer but really wanted a handheld portable option. I Broke down and bought an Orion Synscan unit.(07947) when I plug it in to the ST4 port on the EQSTAR box, it does not power on ?? when I plug a USB Cable into the synscan unit it powers on but does not recognize the eqstar. any help or suggestions ? yes it is the most recent version of the Synscan that came with all three cables. and has the latest firmware. I only have one telescope that I could check it with otherwise, a skywatcher virtuoso. and it controlled it no problem. I hope some kind soul can help me or I just waisted 150$ on a controller I will never use. thanks in advance. 

OK So I emailed Astro Gadget, the Synscan Handbox does NOT work with the EQSTAR

"Hello Dail,

EQStarProEQ5 does not support the Synscan hand controller.   Instead of the Synscan hand controller, a smartphone with the Synscan app is used. The Synscan application completely replaces the Synscan hand controller, and has many more useful functions in comparison with the Synscan hand controller)

https://skywatcher.c...re/synscan-app/

Best Regards,
Alexander.
www.astro-gadget.com"

#60 Fitz8710

Fitz8710

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 10:10 AM

One of the posters earlier in this thread said he got the synscan controller to work, maybe message him? If not you can sell it on classifieds pretty quickly. Maybe it needs to be an old model?

#61 CeeKay

CeeKay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Here's my  (EQ Drive Standard 4 with the SynScan controller)... hopefully I didn't create any confusion with my older post. The HC is a version 5 model and was just recently updated.   Haven't had any problems using it with my system - planning on taking it out tonight with my C 9.25 for some viewing.

Chris

20210416 160731
Album: ASGT photo
1 images
0 comments

Edited by CeeKay, Yesterday, 06:15 PM.

• Fitz8710 likes this

#62 datgeek

datgeek

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 08:23 PM

that's the difference,

EQDRIVE = HC port

EQSTAR = Just ST4 but has option for WiFi & Standard RJ11 Jacks for Motors

contacting Orion to see if they will take it back....

Edited by datgeek, Yesterday, 08:23 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics