•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Homebrew Wifi/Bluetooth accessory for AUX bus

• Please log in to reply
668 replies to this topic

#601 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

• Loc: Hanahan SC

Posted 20 April 2021 - 03:44 PM

I'm obviously having issues, but I've used a hand control before and can do so again.  Was just looking for a show of hands of those who've carried this project through to the end and been able to do successful alignments using either SkyPortal or SkySafari.  Last night was about the 4th unsuccessful try and I've been at work all day, so not even had a chance to run diagnostics.  Thanks for your help.  Not looking for anyone to fix anything for me without doing my own diagnosis.  

Edited by jasonjeremiah, 20 April 2021 - 03:56 PM.

#602 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:16 PM

He had the same issue connecting to SkySafari unless scope was selected as being Celestron Wifi.

That's not "an issue".  That's just how SkySafari works.  It wants that for any kind of WiFi other than it's own "SkyFi" products.  Including for built-in WiFi on the Evolution mount.

Edited by mlord, 20 April 2021 - 04:33 PM.

#603 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:33 PM

Version 3.5 of the Arduino code is now available from the project site:  http://rtr.ca/esp32_wifi+bt+gps/

* Version 3.5
*  -- Reinstate 15-second connection time-out for recovery from wifi drops.
*  -- Added automatic management of EVO WiFi as alternative to having a switch for it.
*  -- More code re-factoring to enable use of W5500 ethernet eventually.
*  -- For Nexstar-GPS mounts, emulate a CPC mount instead.
*  -- New pin assignments going forward, to eliminate conflicts with SPI/I2C.

At some point along the line, the connection timeout code went AWOL.  So it's back again now, enabling fast recovery from WiFi connection drops again.  blush.gif

Also, I will likely be forking future development over to the "all-in-one" project thread: https://www.cloudyni...netgpsjoystick/

If you follow things over there, the first drop of code will likely also now include W5500-based ethernet support.  I have already merged it and it compiles fine, but need to wire up a breadboard to test it there first.

Cheers

#604 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:45 PM

SkyPortal works on WiFi.

Unfortunately my SkySafari still complains that it can connect but scope not responding (same error as before the 50k pull-ups)

Tried 1.2.3.4 port 2000 then in softAP mode or the assigned IP when it is in Use Access Point mode.

I didn't say anything because I am happy with this for now, and I can wait for you to get SkySafari-7.

However, it works fine with your other project, using a mini-USB to the HC via Bluetooth.

Modified with the 4 lines removed within the manage_usb_state() function & no luck with CPWI and the original v0.5 code. 

If there is anything you would like me to test, I have both projects wired up. 

Success!  I had issues early on not being able to connect wirelessly to SkyPortal or SkySafari (v6).  This was when I was still using the breadboard prototype.  I soldered everything onto a PCB, tested to make sure voltage and everything looked good and then closed up the box.  Just plugged into my Nexstar 4SE, joined the HB wifi SSID from my phone, opened SkySafari, clicked connect and it connected immediately.  All slew commands worked great.  Disconnected and then tried SkyPortal and again, connected immediately.  

THE ONE THING I DID DIFFERENTLY IN SKY SAFARI WAS SELECT "CELESTRON WIFI" AS SCOPE TYPE!!!  I had selected Nexstar 4SE early on and then did some more thinking on the matter.  I think selecting the model of the scope assumes you're hardwired through serial or USB.  When the connection is wireless and isn't the SkyPortal or another wifi dongle , selecting Celestron wifi made the most sense as the Homebrew adapter is essentially acting as the built in wifi of the scope.  So, your scope is in essence, a Celestron wifi scope.  Made sense to me and apparently it does to Sky Safari, as well.  All I know is I'm now in business.  Thanks to all the people who tested and risked their equipment to make this possible, but big thanks to Mark (mlord) who made this entire project possible.  He's held my hand through this process several times.  I did some testing on my Nexstar 8 GPS, which Celestron claims is NOT compatible with the SkyPortal dongle, as well as numerous other accessories that plug into the AUX port due to "different internal wiring".  Based on preliminary testing, it seems as the commands being sent from the AUX to MC are the same and I tested with all 3 different versions of the Nexstar HC (v2.2, v4.22, and v5.22 Nexstar+).  I'm now going to connect it and confirm that I can operate it wirelessly using the same HB wifi/BT adapter.  If so, that will open up a plethora of opportunities for us Nexstar GPS owners.

Thanks, good catch, SkySafari work for me over WiFi  Yay!  ... oh well, no more bluetooth option with that scope type. I can live with that, another step in the right direction.

Found out that when SkySafari is connected via Bluetooth, it is only trying to talk to the HC instead of aux commands.

I added more verbose output to see what the esp32 was receiving from BT, and got this output 24 24 24 56 23 ... these are not aux commands and wait a minute, it looks like what I saw in the other project...

Here is some of the output when connected via bluetooth to the HC's USB port. (SkySafari, scope type "Celestron Nexstar GPS/SLT/SE", using the other project Homebrew Bluetooth accessory for Nexstar+ USB HC)

bt: 24 24 24 56 23
hc: 05 1f 23
bt: 74
hc: 00 23
bt: 48 15 31 06 03 0c 15 fb 00
hc: 23
bt: 57 2d 20 3b 00 4b 19 0d 01
hc: 23
bt: 65
hc: 38 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 2c 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 23
bt: 65
hc: 38 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 2c 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 23

So yeah, might have quite alot of communication translation to get that working, maybe too much.

Unless we can find another scope type that talks AUX commands over bluetooth. I guess, will have to try them one by one... there is like 50 scope types in SkySafari, tried the Celestron types without any luck yet.

That's not "an issue".  That's just how SkySafari works.  It wants that for any kind of WiFi other than it's own "SkyFi" products.  Including for built-in WiFi on the Evolution mount.

Yeah, I believe I was the one that figured out that's how it works as coollick was having the same "issue" I was having connecting wirelessly through SkySafari.  Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work as it has numerous specific models to choose from (Nexstar SE, CPC, etc) but the only one that works using the HB adapter is Celestron Wifi.  Though, sounds like you must already have your own copy of SkySafari to test with from your wording.  I don't have the SkyPortal or SkySync wifi adapters to test this theory.

#605 coollick

coollick

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 April 2021 - 05:45 PM

Haven't heard from Coollick as to whether he has had a successful alignment using SP or SS.  He had the same issue connecting to SkySafari unless scope was selected as being Celestron Wifi.

All good with SkySafari, as long as I select Celestron Wifi.

I was used to align using the HC and not in the app, just use the app for the GoTo commands. (worked fine with my previous setup raspberrypi to HC).

On my first try (HC align only) the goto command from the app sent the scope way off. Not sure why.

On my second try, I aligned using the app (SS), took me a few tries as I had never done that before but it was a success.

Third try, align with HC only and the goto commands worked fine from the app. Success.

Soon I will be taking it to camp, with darker skies and I will take it out more often.

One thing to note is the latency of the on-screen buttons, especially during alignment, I use the HC instead immediate response times. 

But I found out that after a fresh restart of my phone, it is way better, but that means a fresh restart before any night session.

#606 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:29 PM

Yes, I essentially traded an ethernet dongle for SkySafari-6+ last week, so I can now check these things out.   Using a Celestron WiFi dongle, or my Evolution mount WiFi, requires that SkySafari be configured for "Celestron WiFi" (no surprise).  So it only follows that a clone of the Celestron WiFi, aka. the HomeBrew WiFi, would use the same setting.  And ditto for the Ethernet dongles (yes, I have used them with SkySafari now!).

SkySafari-6 is designed to only use their own dongles -- the "SkyFi" stuff -- plus the Celestron WiFi.  So their own Bluetooth dongle works only from the base of a hand controller, and that's why we only get it to work by doing the same type of connection.

I have slight hope that they might clue-in for SkySafari-7, and separate the concept of physical connection from protocol, but I'm not holding my breath on that.   But if they did, then we could use the existing HomeBrew BT straight from the mount, which would be excellent and not require that extra awkward USB cable from the hand-controller.

So for the all-in-one project, I'm prioritizing the USB-to-HC connection, which is then relayed over Bluetooth.  It's a shame it even requires the HC, but that's SkySafari.  Bluetooth in my mind has always been better than WiFi for this purpose (no dropped connections!), but relying upon the HC is a bit of a chink in the armour there.

The notes on the SkySafari site say to align from the HC before establishing the Bluetooth connection.  So that's the awkward way they want it done.  Fortunately, StarSense+GPS makes that quite easy, at least for me here.

Cheers

Edited by mlord, 21 April 2021 - 07:44 AM.

#607 colgs3b

colgs3b

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zionsville, IN

Posted 21 April 2021 - 06:52 AM

If people are having problems with the mount pointing in an odd direction, it could be the fault of the GPS. A year or so ago we passed through an epoch, and some older GPS devices weren’t made to deal with the change in time. This can result in the calculated time being wildly off. I discussed this a bit for someone over in the non-WiFi homebrew thread. 
The HC might update to the bad time in this situation, so perhaps check the Time/site info. 

#608 skipm45

skipm45

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 April 2021 - 06:39 PM

I'm in the process of assembling the wifi / BT / GPS adapter and came across this in the BN180 data sheet:BN180.PNG

Since the VCC pin of the BN180 module is being supplied with 3.3v ( instead of 5v ), it may explain any unusual behavior.

It shouldn't be too difficult to route the GPS Vcc pin to 5v with a bit of rework.  I have one of Coolicks boards on order, and I'll be modding it accordingly.

Just wanted to share.

Edited by skipm45, 22 April 2021 - 06:42 PM.

#609 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:17 PM

Since the VCC pin of the BN180 module is being supplied with 3.3v ( instead of 5v ), it may explain any unusual behavior.

That spec is incorrect.  Practically all of the vendors of this and all other TTL GPS receivers spec them for 3.0 to 5.5V power, with 3.3V - 5V recommended.

So no worries about it here.

bn180.jpg

Edited by mlord, 22 April 2021 - 07:26 PM.

#610 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 April 2021 - 07:21 PM

The chip that is actually inside the BN-180 modules is a M8030-KT GPS receiver chip.  Datasheet Product Summary link:  https://www.u-blox.c...X-15029937).pdf

The relevant highlight from that datasheet:  Supply voltage  1.4 V to 3.6 V.

So it does depend a bit on what the module maker does with the input voltage before feeding it to the chip, but the six or so that I checked here all say 3.0V or 3.3V or higher.

Cheers

Edited by mlord, 22 April 2021 - 07:21 PM.

#611 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:37 PM

Version 3.6 of the Arduino code for this project is now available from the project site.

New in this version:

-- fixed GPS receiver detection: it was "finding" one even when no receiver was present.

-- added 'g' serial port command to toggle GPS tracing on/off.

• demarko69 likes this

#612 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 26 April 2021 - 07:00 PM

A couple of updates.  I had an interesting night the other night in which one of my HB adapters got hung on one of the wedge bolts as the scope was slewing and pulled the cable completely out of the RJ12 connector.  The adapter fell to the ground and busted apart.  I shortened  and crimped the cable to where there is now only appx 2" emerging from the box/adapter.  I was able to finally do my first successful StarSense alignment using CPWI last night.  It was reasonably well aligned as I was able to slew to a few stars (between the clouds) and they were in the FOV.

Interestingly enough, I plugged it into my Nexstar 4SE mount and now I have the option to SkyAlign, Manual Align, or Wedge Align in SkyPortal and it's no longer recognizing the scope as a GEM.  Not sure if shortening the cable did something or hitting the ground jarred something loose (joke, I know that's highly unlikely), but seems to recognize the correct scope.  Haven't tested with the 8SE or GPS yet (but I fear I may not ever get anything more than wireless slewing with the GPS) as I'm already setting up with the 4SE mount and a newly refurbed refractor I just rebuilt, but intend to tomorrow.  Going to try just a SkyAlign using SkyPortal tonight and see how it goes.  Just wanted to post an update.

#613 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

Have you not tried the GPS scope with that latest change I made for you?

#614 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:38 AM

Have you not tried the GPS scope with that latest change I made for you?

I haven't yet, but will this week.  I find it best just to put something down and walk way when I start getting frustrated, and re-visit it when frustration has died down.  Last week was a frustrating week, but that's another story.  I've had a lot of different projects going oin, some of which are telescope related.  I'm going to attempt using SkyPortal and SkySafari again (hopefully today) with the Nexstar 8SE and make sure it recognizes it as the correct scope, also.  I know you'd think since it worked with the 4SE it should with the 8SE, but I've experienced first hand just because one works doesn't mean the other will.  My 4SE was made in 2010 and this 8SE was made last year, so maybe some hardware changes were made.  Not sure. 

I also can confirm that the StarSense I has does seem to work, at least with the Nexstar SE model scopes.  It still will not work with the GPS and get the "Waiting for camera" message that never goes away so something is different with the AUX bus on the GPS.  I do have the auxbus scanner setup now and am going to do a scan (or attempt to, not sure I've read of anyone on that thread using it with a GPS model) to see if and how the camera shows up using the scanner.  Is there anything I should look for in particular with the output from the scanner? 

I did a manual alignment last night (no StarSense) using SkyPortal and my Nexstar 4SE mount with a refractor on it and it worked exactly as it should.  It's nice when things operate as they should but seems to be a rare occurrence for me lately.  Going to try tonight with the 8SE, assuming SkyPortal recognizes it as the correct mount.  So far, this has been a productive week.  

#615 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

I also can confirm that the StarSense I has does seem to work, at least with the Nexstar SE model scopes.  It still will not work with the GPS and get the "Waiting for camera" message that never goes away so something is different with the AUX bus on the GPS.  I do have the auxbus scanner setup now and am going to do a scan (or attempt to, not sure I've read of anyone on that thread using it with a GPS model) to see if and how the camera shows up using the scanner.  Is there anything I should look for in particular with the output from the scanner?

Well we already know one thing that is different on the NexstarGPS AUX bus when compared to newer mounts:  the way that commands get echoed back. 

With newer mounts, the command gets echoed as it is sent, byte by byte.  This is done by simply hardwiring RX and TX together in the mount, no firmware involved.

On the NexstarGPS, it happens AFTER the complete command has been sent, with the firmware at the MC manually echoing the command, and then later sending the response.

So that late playback of the entire command is one thing that was confusing CPWI.  The HomeBrew WiFi then got updated (by me) to remove the playback, making CPWI happier.

So my guess is that the StarSense HC also does not like that echoing back.  But I'll bet CPWI will instead work with the StarSense camera via the HomeBrew WiFi, with no HC involved (or even plugged in).

The AuxBus scanner should work, but there's a chance it could have the same issue with the echoed back data.  But you could run the scanner over WiFi to the HomeBrew WiFi to counter that issue.

#616 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:22 PM

So perhaps we can help CPWI by having the HomeBrew (HB) report a more compatible mount type than simply "type 1" ?

Eg.  The replacement for the Nexstar GPS was probably the CPC Deluxe.  So.. let's pretend to be that:

Test version:  attachicon.gifesp32_wifi.ino.txt

It was a no go with this sketch.  Not only would CPWI still not make a wireless connection with the GPS mount, but neither would SkySafari or SkyPortal.  I'll hook up the aux scanner tomorrow and see what I can see.  

BTW - when the HB is plugged into the GPS mount (with the old sketch), it's still recognized as a GEM and will only allow an equatorial alignment and no option for Sky Alignment or Wedge Align.  SS or SP do not recognize the StarSense camera either plugged into the GPS.  I did just try with the new Nexstar 8SE I have and it's correctly identified as an SE mount and allows for Sky Align or Wedge Align as my older Nexstar 4SE does.  They also recognize when the StarSense camera is plugged in as then StarSense is one of the alignment options.

#617 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:35 AM

Starting to make some progress in compiling some verbose tracing to compare successful wireless connections with a Nexstar SE mount using CPWI and unsuccessful connections attempted on  NXGPS.  Seems there is a wifi timeout (w2000) after the initial wifi connect during which CPWI is asking for the Alt/Az MC versions and mount is responding, which results in CPWI being stuck in constant "searching" for wifi connection state.  Timeout happens in less than a second by my calculation from timestamps involved.  

000105790 w2000 Connected
000105827 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf
000105831 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf
000105832 auxbus_rx: 03
000105832 auxbus_rx: 20
000105833 auxbus_rx: 10
000105833 auxbus_rx: fe
000105834 auxbus_rx: cf
000105840 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 fe cf
000105843 auxbus_rx: 3b 05 10 20 fe 04 06 c3
000105844 w2000_tx: 3b 05 10 20 fe 04 06 c3
000105923 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 11 fe ce
000105927 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 11 fe ce
000105927 auxbus_rx: 03
000105928 auxbus_rx: 20
000105928 auxbus_rx: 11
000105929 auxbus_rx: fe
000105930 auxbus_rx: ce
000105936 w2000_tx: 03 20 11 fe ce
000105939 auxbus_rx: 3b 05 11 20 fe 04 06 c2
000105940 w2000_tx: 3b 05 11 20 fe 04 06 c2
000106016 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 05 c8
000106021 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 05 c8
000106021 auxbus_rx: 03
000106022 auxbus_rx: 20
000106022 auxbus_rx: 10
000106023 auxbus_rx: 05
000106023 auxbus_rx: c8
000106029 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 05 c8
000106031 auxbus_rx: 3b 04 10 20 05 01 c6
000106032 w2000_tx: 3b 05 10 20 05 11 89 2c
000106126 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 23 aa
000106130 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 23 aa
000106131 auxbus_rx: 03
000106131 auxbus_rx: 20
000106132 auxbus_rx: 10
000106132 auxbus_rx: 23
000106133 auxbus_rx: aa
000106139 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 23 aa
000106140 auxbus_rx: 3b 03 10 20 23 aa
000106141 w2000_tx: 3b 03 10 20 23 aa
w2000 Timed-out
000121127 w2000 Disconnected

#618 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:04 PM

What that trace shows, is CPWI connecting and querying various things.  After it gets the response to the final query it makes, it then stops talking to the mount.  And the Wifi automatically disconnects 15-seconds later (by design).

000106126 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 23 aa  ## command

000106141 w2000_tx: 3b 03 10 20 23 aa  ## response

I don't know what command "23" is.  We'll have to look that one up.

#619 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 May 2021 - 12:09 PM

0x23 appears to be "MC_GET_MAX_RATE".

The mount isn't returning anything other than saying "command complete".  So perhaps the mount doesn't understand that command.  I'll have to have a look and see if perhaps that is specific to a CPC mount?  Eg. If CPWI does NOT ask my Evo for it, then perhaps we might have your NGPS pretend to be an Evo instead and see how that goes.

#620 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

What that trace shows, is CPWI connecting and querying various things.  After it gets the response to the final query it makes, it then stops talking to the mount.  And the Wifi automatically disconnects 15-seconds later (by design).

Busy at work right now, but got plenty of other verbose traces to post.  Did lots of testing over the past couple of nights using several combinations (CPWI with NXGPS, SkySafari with NXGPS, etc.) and have been reading that old auxbus command set document.  

Was finally able to get SkySafari and SkyPortal to recognize the NXGPS as a fork mounted scope on a wedge rather than a GEM and was by total fluke.  Was switching back and forth between apps but wifi was staying connected due to power being provided from micro USB attached to PC for verbose tracing.  At some point during this process, after powering NXGPS mount back up while still being connected, SP and SS now no longer ask to start alignment by pointing counterweight down with scope facing south, but give option of SkyAlign, manual alignment, or wedge alignment.  Shut everything down and powered back up and both apps still recognized the scope as correct scope type.  Weird but working. 

I recorded the verbose traces from a successful wifi connect with SS and SP to compare why they connect with no issue while CPWI, will not.  There are some scenarios where I prefer to use CPWI instead and like having that as an option.  The following is verbose from successful wifi connection between NXGPS and SkySafari, which is essentially the same as SkyPortal:

001154190 w2000 Connected
001154751 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf
001154756 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf
001154756 auxbus_rx: 03
001154756 auxbus_rx: 20
001154757 auxbus_rx: 10
001154758 auxbus_rx: fe
001154758 auxbus_rx: cf
001154768 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 fe cf
001154770 auxbus_rx: 3b 05 10 20 fe 04 06 c3
001154771 w2000_tx: 3b 05 10 20 fe 04 06 c3
001154776 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 05 c8
001154780 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 05 c8
001154781 auxbus_rx: 03
001154781 auxbus_rx: 20
001154782 auxbus_rx: 10
001154783 auxbus_rx: 05
001154785 auxbus_rx: c8
001154791 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 05 c8
001154793 auxbus_rx: 3b 04 10 20 05 01 c6
001154795 w2000_tx: 3b 05 10 20 05 11 89 2c
001154835 w2000_rx: 3b 04 20 10 24 00 a8
001154840 auxbus_tx: 3b 04 20 10 24 00 a8
001154840 auxbus_rx: 04
001154841 auxbus_rx: 20
001154841 auxbus_rx: 10
001154842 auxbus_rx: 24
001154843 auxbus_rx: 00
001154843 auxbus_rx: a8
001154851 w2000_tx: 04 20 10 24 00 a8
001154853 auxbus_rx: 3b 03 10 20 24 a9
001154854 w2000_tx: 3b 03 10 20 24 a9
001154897 w2000_rx: 3b 04 20 11 24 00 a7
001154902 auxbus_tx: 3b 04 20 11 24 00 a7
001154902 auxbus_rx: 04
001154902 auxbus_rx: 20
001154903 auxbus_rx: 11
001154904 auxbus_rx: 24
001154904 auxbus_rx: 00
001154905 auxbus_rx: a7
001154911 w2000_tx: 04 20 11 24 00 a7
001154912 auxbus_rx: 3b 03 11 20 24 a8
001154914 w2000_tx: 3b 03 11 20 24 a8
001154965 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001154969 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001154969 auxbus_rx: 03
001154970 auxbus_rx: 20
001154970 auxbus_rx: b4
001154971 auxbus_rx: fe
001154972 auxbus_rx: 2b
001154991 w2000_tx: 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001155125 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001155130 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001155130 auxbus_rx: 03
001155131 auxbus_rx: 20
001155131 auxbus_rx: b4
001155132 auxbus_rx: fe
001155132 auxbus_rx: 2b
001155152 w2000_tx: 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001155263 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001155268 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001155268 auxbus_rx: 03
001155268 auxbus_rx: 20
001155269 auxbus_rx: b4
001155270 auxbus_rx: fe
001155270 auxbus_rx: 2b
001155290 w2000_tx: 03 20 b4 fe 2b
001155413 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 12 fe cd
001155418 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 12 fe cd
001155418 auxbus_rx: 03
001155419 auxbus_rx: 20
001155419 auxbus_rx: 12
001155420 auxbus_rx: fe
001155420 auxbus_rx: cd
001155440 w2000_tx: 03 20 12 fe cd
001155567 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 12 fe cd
001155571 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 12 fe cd
001155571 auxbus_rx: 03
001155572 auxbus_rx: 20
001155573 auxbus_rx: 12
001155573 auxbus_rx: fe
001155574 auxbus_rx: cd
001155594 w2000_tx: 03 20 12 fe cd
001155716 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 12 fe cd
001155720 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 12 fe cd
001155721 auxbus_rx: 03
001155721 auxbus_rx: 20
001155722 auxbus_rx: 12
001155722 auxbus_rx: fe
001155723 auxbus_rx: cd
001155743 w2000_tx: 03 20 12 fe cd
001155867 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 40 8d
001155871 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 40 8d
001155871 auxbus_rx: 03
001155872 auxbus_rx: 20
001155872 auxbus_rx: 10
001155873 auxbus_rx: 40
001155873 auxbus_rx: 8d
001155882 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 40 8d
001155884 auxbus_rx: 3b 04 10 20 40 00 8c
001155884 w2000_tx: 3b 04 10 20 40 00 8c
001155941 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 11 40 8c
001155946 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 11 40 8c
001155946 auxbus_rx: 03
001155947 auxbus_rx: 20
001155947 auxbus_rx: 11
001155948 auxbus_rx: 40
001155948 auxbus_rx: 8c
001155954 w2000_tx: 03 20 11 40 8c
001155956 auxbus_rx: 3b 04 11 20 40 00 8b
001155957 w2000_tx: 3b 04 11 20 40 00 8b
001156007 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 fc d1
001156012 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 fc d1
001156012 auxbus_rx: 03
001156013 auxbus_rx: 20
001156013 auxbus_rx: 10
001156014 auxbus_rx: fc
001156014 auxbus_rx: d1
001156023 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 fc d1
001156025 auxbus_rx: 3b 04 10 20 fc 00 d0
001156025 w2000_tx: 3b 04 10 20 fc 00 d0
001156068 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 11 fc d0
001156072 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 11 fc d0
001156073 auxbus_rx: 03
001156073 auxbus_rx: 20
001156074 auxbus_rx: 11
001156074 auxbus_rx: fc
001156075 auxbus_rx: d0
001156081 w2000_tx: 03 20 11 fc d0
001156083 auxbus_rx: 3b 04 11 20 fc 00 cf
001156084 w2000_tx: 3b 04 11 20 fc 00 cf
001156125 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 21 ac
001156130 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 21 ac
001156130 auxbus_rx: 03
001156131 auxbus_rx: 20
001156131 auxbus_rx: 10
001156132 auxbus_rx: 21
001156132 auxbus_rx: ac
001156140 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 21 ac
001156141 auxbus_rx: 3b 03 10 20 21 ac
001156142 w2000_tx: 3b 03 10 20 21 ac
001156190 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 23 aa
001156194 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 23 aa
001156194 auxbus_rx: 03
001156195 auxbus_rx: 20
001156195 auxbus_rx: 10
001156196 auxbus_rx: 23
001156196 auxbus_rx: aa
001156204 w2000_tx: 03 20 10 23 aa
001156206 auxbus_rx: 3b 03 10 20 23 aa
001156207 w2000_tx: 3b 03 10 20 23 aa
001156246 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 21 ac
001156250 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 21 ac

Edited by jasonjeremiah, 04 May 2021 - 01:14 PM.

#621 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 04 May 2021 - 01:18 PM

Also, I believe I had told you that you CANNOT make a wireless connection to the Nexstar GPS if the StarSense camera is plugged into one of the AUX ports.  Even if camera is plugged in after connecting, neither will then recognize the camera.  This is what happens when a wireless connection is made or attempted and the StarSense is plugged in to the NXGPS:

000408312 w2000 Connected

000408825 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf

Busy

000409051 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf

000409120 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf

000409314 w2000 Disconnected

#622 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:42 PM

0x23 appears to be "MC_GET_MAX_RATE".

The mount isn't returning anything other than saying "command complete".  So perhaps the mount doesn't understand that command.  I'll have to have a look and see if perhaps that is specific to a CPC mount?  Eg. If CPWI does NOT ask my Evo for it, then perhaps we might have your NGPS pretend to be an Evo instead and see how that goes.

For comparison, this is the same command and response traffic between CPWI and Nexstar 4SE.  Strange that it's getting hung up here and traffic stops completely until the disconnect.

Keyboard malfunction.  Here you go:

000281348 w2000 Connected
000281387 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf
000281392 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 fe cf
000281396 auxbus_rx: 3b 05 10 20 fe 05 14 b4
000281397 w2000_tx: 3b 05 10 20 fe 05 14 b4
000281455 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 11 fe ce
000281459 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 11 fe ce
000281463 auxbus_rx: 3b 05 11 20 fe 05 14 b3
000281465 w2000_tx: 3b 05 11 20 fe 05 14 b3
000281502 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 05 c8
000281507 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 05 c8
000281511 auxbus_rx: 3b 05 10 20 05 0b 83 38
000281513 w2000_tx: 3b 05 10 20 05 0b 83 38
000281532 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 23 aa
000281537 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 23 aa
000281541 auxbus_rx: 3b 04 10 20 23 00 a9
000281542 w2000_tx: 3b 04 10 20 23 00 a9
000281579 w2000_rx: 3b 03 20 10 21 ac
000281584 auxbus_tx: 3b 03 20 10 21 ac
000281589 auxbus_rx: 3b 07 10 20 21 0d ab 0f a0 41

Edited by jasonjeremiah, 07 May 2021 - 12:48 PM.

#623 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:46 PM

For comparison, this is the same command and response traffic between CPWI and Nexstar 4SE.  Strange that it's getting hung up here and traffic stops completely until the disconnect.

Where is your posting of the same command/response in the Nexstar 4SE traffic?

Note that nothing is "getting hung up" there.  CPWI simply doesn't like what it sees from the mount, and aborts the attempt to connect.  Or perhaps it keeps waiting for the response it expects.  Not clear which, but the result is the same.

Edited by mlord, 07 May 2021 - 12:49 PM.

#624 jasonjeremiah

jasonjeremiah

Mariner 2

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:52 PM

Where is your posting of the same command/response in the Nexstar 4SE traffic?

Note that nothing is "getting hung up" there.  CPWI simply doesn't like what it sees, and aborts the attempt to connect.  Or perhaps it keeps waiting for the response it expects.

Funny, I don't see that same command/response traffic when connecting through SkySafari or SkyPortal.  Maybe I just need to stick with one of those two when using my Nexstar GPS, but CPWI (for me) works much better as far as alignments.  Seems if I accidentally let my phone go to sleep or get a text or anything that interrupts the alignment process, it will either continue to indefinitely add alignment points without a successful alignment complete, or restart the alignment process from the beginning.  

#625 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 May 2021 - 12:58 PM

SkyPortal and SkySafari are the same software, just with different price tags and different features enabled/disabled by the maker.

CPWI is a completely different software from different people.  So the two do things slightly differently from one another.  No surprise.

Another such difference, is that when doing a StarSense AutoAlign, CPWI on my mount goes counterclockwise (N,W,S,E) whereas the other two go clockwise (N,E,S,W).

I'll reboot into my temporary MS-Win environment and see what CPWI does here -- whether or not it issues that same command against the Evolution mount, and if so then what the mount responds with.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics