•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tell me not to buy anything

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 09 December 2020 - 05:55 AM

Thanks everyone.  Yes, I would need to act quickly, which I don't really like to do.  I'm the type that likes to explore all the options, but that takes time that I don't have.  I will probably take my time and wait for better deals next year, but here's what I found in stock so far.  Some of these are more money or smaller than I had planned on but I want to consider the whole package, and I'm debating how portable I want it.

Apertura 72EDR 6.0 Doublet FPL-53 $600
Explore Scientific ED80 6.0 Triplet FCD1 $850

Stellarvue SV80 7.0 Doublet FPL-53 $655 (Used)
Teleskop Service ED80 7.0 Doublet FPL-51 $580

Teleskop Service ED102 7.0 Doublet FPL-51 $760
William Optics Z73 5.9 Doublet FPL-53 $650

William Optics Z81 6.9 Doublet FPL-53 $800
William Optics GT71 5.9 Triplet FPL-53 $850

Harder to find are mounts. I normally prefer a manual mount with slow motion controls, but will look at the Stellarvue option if I can find a cheaper tripod.  Here are a few in stock options, including goto ones that would enable me to add an SCT OTA later.  The Skywatcher apparently lets you move it manually as well.

Meade LX65 $500
Skywatcher AZ-Gti $380
Stellarvue M002 $430+tripod
TeleVue Tele-Pod $460
Vixen StarGuy $500

If you're not going for a 4" aperture, that 80/7 Stellarvue would be the way to go easily for cost.

You can mount it on nearly anything, so you could get away with a much less costly mount with general 80mm scopes.

Very best,

• JKAstro likes this

#27 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:42 AM

I actually found an ES Twilight 1 and a Vixen Porta II.  But my wife just nixed our holiday plans to go south and the forecast here is not good, so there's no real point in getting something right now.  Although that Stellarvue scope is still tempting.  Thanks everyone.

Edited by Craig Smith, 10 December 2020 - 07:42 AM.

#28 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 10 December 2020 - 02:47 PM

Still might be worth following through so you don't end up in a pickle again and you're ready to go at a moment's notice.

#29 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 11 December 2020 - 12:30 AM

Still might be worth following through so you don't end up in a pickle again and you're ready to go at a moment's notice.

Good point. I didn't want the torture of getting a scope and not being able to see the conjunction, but there will be other things to see soon enough.

On a related note I had seen a Twilight II mount advertised locally 3 months ago. I was able to find the ad and followed up; just my luck, they sold it yesterday. frown.gif

Edited by Craig Smith, 11 December 2020 - 12:53 AM.

#30 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 11 December 2020 - 02:41 PM

If you're looking for an 80mm I can vouch for optics of SV80A. I have the same one with the FPL53 glass. The build quality, fit & finish and focuser have the feel of a much more expensive scope. The case is nicely made as well. Not a cheap throwaway that will fall apart in a few years. I'm actually surprised it's still available given the current situation with no inventory anywhere. If you have a photo tripod that's big enough you may be able to use that until you find a proper mount. I use mine as a spotter or as a quick grab-n-go on a fluid head. It's not a heavy scope.

The 21st is a long way off so who knows if the forecast is accurate. I have been viewing Jupiter & Saturn together most clear nights. They're pretty close already and getting closer each night.

AT72EDII, SV80A, AT102ED Front 2200px Med
SV80A

• Craig Smith likes this

#31 Craig Smith

Craig Smith

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 19 December 2020 - 09:02 PM

If you're looking for an 80mm I can vouch for optics of SV80A. I have the same one with the FPL53 glass. The build quality, fit & finish and focuser have the feel of a much more expensive scope. The case is nicely made as well. Not a cheap throwaway that will fall apart in a few years. I'm actually surprised it's still available given the current situation with no inventory anywhere. If you have a photo tripod that's big enough you may be able to use that until you find a proper mount. I use mine as a spotter or as a quick grab-n-go on a fluid head. It's not a heavy scope.

The 21st is a long way off so who knows if the forecast is accurate. I have been viewing Jupiter & Saturn together most clear nights. They're pretty close already and getting closer each night.

Thanks.  I almost got the used one on Astromart but my wife was having 2nd thoughts so held off.  The forecast is actually looking better now but too late to get anything.

#32 Levant

Levant

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Why take risk importing from Europe?

You may be interested in this: ASTRO-TECH AT102ED 4" F/7 ED REFRACTOR OTA

https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics