•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Omegon Camera veTEC 533 C Color

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#26 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Thessaloniki - Greece

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:34 PM

Congratulations. One thing that I noticed with the my VeTEC 533 that was different with my ASI, was that the fan just starts when the cooling starts where with the ASI the fan starts everytime you plug the power 

It's my first cooled camera, so 0 experience, but the fan on mine started right away with my Ekos startup. 

Right now, I'm trying to make it work with Win and SharpCap (virtual machine) to be able to run the sensor analysis, but as a Mac guy, I'm facing difficulties :-/

#27 melodasi

melodasi

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nummela - Finland

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:03 PM

It's my first cooled camera, so 0 experience, but the fan on mine started right away with my Ekos startup. 

Right now, I'm trying to make it work with Win and SharpCap (virtual machine) to be able to run the sensor analysis, but as a Mac guy, I'm facing difficulties :-/

Cool, post your results if you get it working, I can try that also tomorrow. I am right now getting some images done.

This is one 5 min frame of the Monkey Head with Optolong L-Extreme.Monkey head 5 min.PNG

• Hobby Astronomer likes this

#28 jerr

jerr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czarny Las, Poland

Posted 04 February 2021 - 05:35 AM

I've noticed those Astrokraken rings that you use for mounting the guide scope. I nowhere can find the rings for a tube with diameter of 75mm and they may fit the need. How do they hold? Don't they flex?

#29 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2021 - 02:37 PM

I've noticed those Astrokraken rings that you use for mounting the guide scope. I nowhere can find the rings for a tube with diameter of 75mm and they may fit the need. How do they hold? Don't they flex?

I do not have any experience with others, so I really can’t tell you if it is best value for money or anything else.

I could only say that this is how I have placed them at day one, a little less than a year ago and I’ve never made any changes since now. They hold my gear just great. Probably, if you make changes all the time will have issues cause there are just 3D printed.

Before the 533, they were holding about 2 - 2.2 kg without any issues.

#30 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2021 - 06:54 PM

So after many many hours trying to figure out why Parallels not detecting the camera and many many hours of trying to figure out why on earth boot camp is not working, finally I’ve managed to install Windows and here is the sensor analysis from sharpcap pro.

027bf07f850bc755dc856ce3d8458096.jpg
1b9a8e726908122169954d29b10db53e.jpg

#31 melodasi

melodasi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:47 AM

So after many many hours trying to figure out why Parallels not detecting the camera and many many hours of trying to figure out why on earth boot camp is not working, finally I’ve managed to install Windows and here is the sensor analysis from sharpcap pro.

027bf07f850bc755dc856ce3d8458096.jpg
1b9a8e726908122169954d29b10db53e.jpg

Great job. So if I understand it right the best gain setup would be around 251, right?

Edited by melodasi, 06 February 2021 - 02:58 AM.

#32 melodasi

melodasi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:52 AM

I have found one thing....I am running my sequences with SGP and every time I open and close the Equipment Profile Manager or the Control Panel with the camera attached, the computer starts to lag almost freeze until the selected equipment profile opens and when I disconnect the camera it doesnt happen.

It is probably something related to USB reading or driver and note that despite of the camera work with USB3.0 I am using a 2.0 hub, today I will try to fidn the problem.

#33 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2021 - 05:14 PM

Great job. So if I understand it right the best gain setup would be around 251, right?

I wish I knew... I am just a rookie with those camera's, and my ASI224 MC for planetary is much easier to use.

Today was my first light, but before that, I've run 2 Smart Histograms with Sharpcap. Both with the SkyTech Triband filter.

DynamicRange.JPG

UnityGain.jpg

#34 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 February 2021 - 05:29 PM

But my main concern now is to find out why on earth I have such lights to provide me this stack...

Maybe this is an issue with my filter?

Screenshot 2021-02-07 at 12.24.38 AM.jpg

#35 melodasi

melodasi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2021 - 05:54 PM

But my main concern now is to find out why on earth I have such lights to provide me this stack...

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2021-02-07 at 12.24.38 AM.jpg

oh it doesnt look good. Maybe something in the stacking sets.

Edited by melodasi, 07 February 2021 - 05:25 AM.

#36 melodasi

melodasi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2021 - 05:55 PM

I have used mine with the Optolong l-extreme and i liked the results

#37 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:12 AM

I have used mine with the Optolong l-extreme and i liked the results

Which bayer pattern have you selected? Cause as far as I can see the header file does not have that info. (Captured with Ekos)

#38 melodasi

melodasi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 February 2021 - 05:26 AM

Generic RGGB

Which bayer pattern have you selected? Cause as far as I can see the header file does not have that info. (Captured with Ekos)

In my stack RGGB.

I have added a link in this post to some sequences.

Edited by melodasi, 07 February 2021 - 05:31 AM.

#39 fbitto

fbitto

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Terrassa, Spain

Posted 11 February 2021 - 04:26 PM

Could it be that Astroberry is saving the FITS file as RGB instead of CFA monochrome?

I use Astroberry with a ZWO 120MC-S and in the FITSHeader NAXIS is 2, and in yours is 3. I've seen it in your post in the INDI forum.

Or maybe it is that the INDI lib on Astroberry is not updted. It seems that Stellarmate has a newer version.

Can you share one of your subs? 

Edited by fbitto, 11 February 2021 - 04:27 PM.

#40 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:36 PM

Problem solved! The issue was at the Controls tab of the camera, the default value was RGB and not RAW, so the subs were at 8bit. As soon as I change that to RAW the image is again at 16.

I just wish I had a way to save this value as default to avoid making this mistake again.
  • fbitto likes this

#41 fbitto

fbitto

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:28 AM

Problem solved! The issue was at the Controls tab of the camera, the default value was RGB and not RAW, so the subs were at 8bit. As soon as I change that to RAW the image is again at 16.

I just wish I had a way to save this value as default to avoid making this mistake again.

Thanks for the info. I use Astroberry also, and the compatibility with it was very important for me.

I think I'll place the order later today.

#42 syberand

syberand

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:32 AM

Unity on the zwo533 is 100. So I assume it is the same on the Omegon. Basically, only 100 makes sense.

#43 fbitto

fbitto

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:37 AM

Unity on the zwo533 is 100. So I assume it is the same on the Omegon. Basically, only 100 makes sense.

According to the SharpCap screenshot shown above, unity gain is 309. I expected it to be the same as the ZWO.

#44 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:44 AM

I could only say that for the 533 sensor (it doesn’t really matter if we call it ZWO or Omegon or RisingCamera) the optimal gain for the max dynamic range is 100. At least, this value appears at the official graphs, sharp cap analysis, and from other owners.

PS. Light pollution affects the result of unity gain? Cause I’ve run those tests under Bortle 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#45 fbitto

fbitto

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:47 AM

I could only say that for the 533 sensor (it doesn’t really matter if we call it ZWO or Omegon or RisingCamera) the optimal gain for the max dynamic range is 100. At least, this value appears at the official graphs, sharp cap analysis, and from other owners.

PS. Light pollution affects the result of unity gain? Cause I’ve run those tests under Bortle 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please note that for ZWO the gain is in 0.1dB units , so 100 gain is 10dB. Omegon gain is linear in 0.01 units, so 10dB is about 301 (times 3.01).

You can see that in the table from SharpCap, there is a column in dB.

So ZWO gain 0 is 0dB and that is gain 100 in the Omegon. That should give you maximum dynamic range.

ZWO gain 100 is 10dB and that is gain 301 in the Omegon (closer to 309 in the data you posted, because of non perfect linearity). This should give you unity gain.

I expect to receive mi Omegon camera today, so I'll post my SharpCap results to compare with yours).

I think that unity gain is not affected by light polution, as it is a property of the A/D converter.

I have one question, what value do you use for offset? The dafault offset in the ASI533MC ASCOM driver is 70, but I have seen nothing about the Omegon. I expect them to be the same as it is given in ADU.

Edited by fbitto, 16 February 2021 - 09:27 AM.

#46 melodasi

melodasi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:59 AM

Hi,

Have any of you tested this camera with SGP? I have some problem when the camera is connected and I try to open Device Profile Manager in SGP, the whole computer gets really slow and the little windows blue circle starts to spin I have asked Omegon but no reply yet.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Marcelo

#47 fbitto

fbitto

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 February 2021 - 06:06 AM

Hi,

Have any of you tested this camera with SGP? I have some problem when the camera is connected and I try to open Device Profile Manager in SGP, the whole computer gets really slow and the little windows blue circle starts to spin I have asked Omegon but no reply yet.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Marcelo

I expect to receive the camera today. I don't have SGP, but can try with NINA to see if it's an issue with thw Omegon driver. 

#48 melodasi

melodasi

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:16 AM

I expect to receive the camera today. I don't have SGP, but can try with NINA to see if it's an issue with thw Omegon driver. 

Great

#49 Euripides

Euripides

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:20 AM

Please note that for ZWO the gain is in 0.1dB units , so 100 gain is 10dB. Omegon gain is linear in 0.01 units, so 10dB is about 3.01 (times 3.01).

You can see that in the table from SharpCap, there is a column in dB.

So ZWO gain 0 is 0dB and that is gain 100 in the Omegon. That should give you maximum dynamic range.

ZWO gain 100 is 10dB and that is gain 301 in the Omegon (closer to 309 in the data you posted, because of non perfect linearity). This should give you unity gain.

I expect to receive mi Omegon camera today, so I'll post my SharpCap results to compare with yours).

I think that unity gain is not affected by light polution, as it is a property of the A/D converter.

I have one question, what value do you use for offset? The dafault offset in the ASI533MC ASCOM driver is 70, but I have seen nothing about the Omegon. I expect them to be the same as it is given in ADU.

Thanks for that!

Last night was in fact my first light - cause the other night was a fiasco :-)  I've used:

- SkyTech triband filter

- Gain 100

- Offset 10 (I've just put a number greater than 0, I have to learn about it)

- 2min subs

- Celcius - 5

- Samyang 135mm at f4

I can say that I'me pretty amazed how a single exposure look like, at least much much better from my modified DSLR.

I was "afraid" to shoot at 30" as SharpCap suggests, cause I'm used to minimum 3' exposure with my DSLR. Now I have to figure out my exposure time for my Triband, my Broadband and my Ha filter.

But as I can see from my stars, probably I have to decrease my exposure time.

Only debayer and a quick stretch.

533.jpg

#50 fbitto

fbitto

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for that!

Last night was in fact my first light - cause the other night was a fiasco :-)  I've used:

- SkyTech triband filter

- Gain 100

- Offset 10 (I've just put a number greater than 0, I have to learn about it)

- 2min subs

- Celcius - 5

- Samyang 135mm at f4

I can say that I'me pretty amazed how a single exposure look like, at least much much better from my modified DSLR.

I was "afraid" to shoot at 30" as SharpCap suggests, cause I'm used to minimum 3' exposure with my DSLR. Now I have to figure out my exposure time for my Triband, my Broadband and my Ha filter.

But as I can see from my stars, probably I have to decrease my exposure time.

Only debayer and a quick stretch.

attachicon.gif533.jpg

It looks great for a single sub. 

Do you mean that the stars are saturating the sensor? It's difficult to see in the image.

I've been testing Astroberry with an ASI120MC-S and the 30mm f/4 mini scope (is a guiding setup, but used for DSO as a test) and noticed that the stars of the Rosette Nebula  where nearly clipping at 30 seconds and gain 29 (unity gain for the ASI120MC-S).

The images bellow are after stacking, not single subs.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-02-16 16_43_19-PixInsight.jpg

Edited by fbitto, 16 February 2021 - 10:49 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics