•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2020 Saturn-Jupiter Conjunction Classic Observing Plans and Reports

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#201 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 10:35 PM

As noted elsewhere, I fixed up the Edmund 4001 special OTA and got it on a mount last week, giving me an f5 OTA. I also picked up a Unitron 114 mount for the f7.7 Jaegers, that arrived this week. Although it was cloudy for much of the day, it cleared just before sunset, and I set up both scopes. The 4001 with a 41mm Panoptic, and the Jaegers with a 40mm Celestron Plossl. 

Jupiter was the first to become visible, and then I spotted Mercury in the Jaegers, which was easier to pan around with. Once I had it in relation to Jupiter, I was able to get the 4001 pointed in the right direction, and started sweeping back and forth with it. There were still thin clouds on the horizon, giving a rosy glow to the sky that made it hard to find Saturn, but eventually I got it. All three were very close to the edge of the field, so I had to use peripheral vision to see them all at once. In my R/L reversed view, Jupiter was near the top, Mercury on the lower right, and Saturn on the lower left. All were quite small, and I didn't see any moons. Mercury was a dazzlingly bright point in the scope. Jupiter was brighter overall, but more extended. Saturn was very small, with the elongation of the rings just visible. 

I tried a few cell phone shots, but it couldn't handle the wide field. Then I went back to the Jaegers, thinking I might be able to at least get Jupiter and Mercury together (Saturn wouldn't quite fit in the same field), but by the time I got the phone lined up, Mercury had set. I think it's time to say goodbye to Jupiter and Saturn for now. 

This conjunction has certainly offered quite a few wonderful observing experiences!

Chip W. 

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, Kasmos and 2 others like this

#202 39cross

39cross

Mariner 2

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:55 AM

We also had good weather and a surprisingly clear horizon on the 10th, often there is a band of clouds to the west in the early evening.  I brought a pair of 7x50 binoculars to the local park that has the best view westward.  Like Chip's observations, I first spotted Jupiter via the binoculars; maybe 10 minutes later Mercury; then another 10 minutes or so spotted Saturn, which was much dimmer than Mercury.  The trio made a nice, loosely lopsided equilateral triangle, and were all visible together in the binocular field of vision.

Only Jupiter was definitely visible by eye without binoculars.  I think I may have caught a glimpse of Mercury, but it wasn't bright enough to outshine the twilight.  They all sank pretty fast.  Compared to even a couple days before, Jupiter seemed quite a bit lower inside the 'twilight zone' and a lot dimmer.

It looks like we are in for a few days of cloudy weather, so they'll all be gone by the time we have another clear evening.

• Terra Nova, Bonco2, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#203 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:06 PM

****! We had a rare sunny day and clear night last night (but quite cold and the seemingly endless clouds got me out of practice) and I completely forgot about Mercury being in the conjunction, of course, it’s cloudy again tonight. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics