•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can I repair this old Tasco?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 23 December 2020 - 05:55 AM

Hi, this telescope is adapted to accessories (eyepieces, diagonal) in the size of 0.96''. If you have 1.25'' eypieces, look for a suitable adapter that allows a 1.25-0.96'' reduction. The original set included the 90o diagonal, but you can use any other 0.96 '' diagonal - buying, for example, a cheap, old copy of any telescope from those years as a source of 0.96'' accessories, or even buying a brand new 0,96'' diagonal, because they are still produced in this size today.

Don't be afraid to take your eyepieces apart into single lenses and clean the optics properly. Read about cleaning the optics first and complete the necessary equipment and cleaning agents - it is neither difficult nor expensive. The most important thing is not to confuse the order and direction of the lenses - with multi-element constructions it becomes a bit of a challenge, so it is absolutely necessary to photograph each stage.

Edited by LukaszLu, 23 December 2020 - 06:46 AM.

#27 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 23 December 2020 - 09:50 AM

short cable replacement.jpg

One easy way to decrease the wobbling/vibrations is to replace the long RA/DEC adjustment cables with shorter ones.

Edited by photiost, 23 December 2020 - 10:02 AM.

#28 mclerran82

mclerran82

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2021 - 11:54 PM

I thought I would post an update on my Grandpa’s Tasco project. I just completed the new draw tube for 1.25” accessories. I utilized forum threads linked by previous posters for inspiration so thank you to  everyone that has provided helpful links!

I used a 1-1/4” chromed brass lavatory drain and a piece of 1-1/2” OD, 1/8” wall aluminum tubing. The thumb screws are from Agena Astro and are bigger and heavier than the screws on the old components but hopefully they don’t cause a problem. I will likely shorten the threads. I spent way too much time hand cutting and shaping the aluminum tube so I really hope it all works out! I tapped the other end of the drain pipe for a fine thread M3 grub screw to act as a stop. The thread was pretty loose in the thin tubing, I’m hoping some loctite keeps it in place. I painted the inside with ultra-flat black camouflage paint.

I have a 12mm Astro-Tech Paradigm on hand and an 18mm from Russell Optics on the way to try. These are probably nicer than I need for now but I want some eyepieces that I will be happy with down the road or in case I venture into other scopes.

I did some reading on threads for adapting a Celestron or Meade battery driven clock drive. This may be something I attempt if I can get everything else working well. 

I looked into the shorter slow motion cables. It looks like cables for the 6mm shaft are common. Does anyone have a source for cables to fit the 8.5mm RA shaft? I suppose an adapter could be made but would take a lot of work especially by hand.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to look for caps that will fit the finder scope? I hate that those lenses are sitting around uncovered.

Attached Thumbnails

• A1F92369-8628-4744-B9C5-2A68CD761B04.jpeg
  • 4B0F54AA-CB78-4094-9949-C7C7E050D5CF.jpeg

Edited by mclerran82, 14 January 2021 - 12:03 AM.

• Garyth64, jcruse64, Paul Sweeney and 1 other like this

#29 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 14 January 2021 - 07:22 AM

Great job! Looks very professional :-) Before you replace the cables with shorter ones, try how you deal with the original ones in real situations - for me they turn out to be too short in some positions ...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics