•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Parallelogram mounts? Which to buy.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:31 PM

Any advice on which mount to buy?

Pros and Cons.

I want to be able to view whilst seated mainly, but laying down position may be a good option also.

Thanks in advance,

Craig

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 May 2004 - 05:35 AM

Have you read Binocular Mounts in the "Best Of" thread?

Also in the "Best Of" thread, refer to the post
Binocular Articles over on the Reviews side of CN
follow the link to all the binocular mount reviews on the CN Reviews page.

See also

Lab Report - A Comprehensive look at Binocular Parallelogram Mounts

my favorite is the Universal Astronomics Unimount Light Basic. The mount you choose is very much dependant on the weight of the binoculars you have in mind. The tripod is every bit as important as the mount.

edz

#3 ArizonaScott

ArizonaScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:33 AM

I'd agree with EdZ that the UA Unimount Light Basic is a wonderful mount. I use one with an Oberwerk aluminum surveyors tripod. It's an amazingly beefy package. The cool part is that besides using it with 20x80 binos I can also mount my ST80 or the OTA from my ETX90 on it also. Anything with the standard thread will pop right on it and balance well. My only word of caution is to let Larry at UA know what you plan to use on it and how they mount. I had to ship my bracket back twice to get it right. Good luck to you.

Scott

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:09 AM

I use mine on a surveyor's tripod also. I have another old tripod with only two of three leg sections extended. I use that low one alongside a lawn chair for seated viewing.

Binocular Mounts

edz

#5 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:41 AM

EdZ,

I have a hand crafted p-mount that is very well made and works great, but I found that I may be a sitter not a stander. Since it has the standard head on it, it is not compatible.

So, I talked to Larry at UA and based on your recommendation, I bought the Unistar Light Basic. I did add the special L bracket he sells that gives the binocs the ability to tilt from side to side. Not sure if I need it, but I am an impulse buyer. I will be using my Fujinon 16x70's with them. I'll be putting it on a Bogen 3046.

So, did I do good? I really like the mount I have, but I really want to sit down.

Clear skies,

Tom

#6 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:58 AM

For seated viewing, you'll be really glad you bought the articulated L adapter.

I find I can't use a straight-on Pgram mount like the Virgo Skymount from a seated position.

edz

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:45 AM

Isn't there an adapter needed to mate a UA p-mount to any bogen tripod? I think all UA mounts use 1/4" thread and bogen uses a 3/8" thread.

#8 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:03 PM

All UA mounts slide over a center post. The center post is part of the package. You order your center post with either 1/4, 3/8 or 5/8 screw. The center post itself is about 5" tall and 1" diameter. It's not a separate adapter you need to purchase just to get the mount working. But you do need to state which size **** need.

I bought an extra center post. I have one on my surveyor. For the surveyor, I already had a 3/8 adapter plate. So the 3/8 post I use on my surveyor also fits my Bogen tripods. Normally a 5/8 screw would be purchased to fit a surveyor. I also have a 1/4 screw center post I use on other tripods.

edz

#9 craig_oz_land

craig_oz_land

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:25 PM

Thanks everyone.

It is helpful when someone has tried a few different types and can give some good tips.

So it looks like the UA Unimount light will suit my current binos and the need to view whilst seated or standing.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics