•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AusJena 15x60 review [between zeiss & docter]

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#51 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Gemini

• Loc: Germany

Posted 30 June 2021 - 03:34 AM

Re: Zeiss markings

https://www.zeiss.de...zeiss-logo.html

Best,

JG

• Corcaroli78, Terra Nova and MT4 like this

#52 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, JP

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:03 AM

Thank you JG.

• j.gardavsky likes this

#53 John A Roberts

John A Roberts

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:08 AM

An English language version of the page that JG has linked to can be found at: https://www.zeiss.co...zeiss-logo.html
It should be noted that it shows logos from 1906 on, so it does not include the one used on the earliest binoculars which commenced in 1894.

The Company Seven site has a page that outlines the Zeiss company history at: http://www.company7....ss/history.html
The page provides some basic information about logos, and more usefully it also has ‘Christmas Tree’ diagram (see the copy).

On the diagram:
- the top 5 markings were used until the end of WWII (the earliest binoculars used the logo in script, second from the top);

- the left hand side then shows logos used by Zeiss East Germany (as Carl Zeiss Jena etc.);

- the right side shows those used by Zeiss West Germany (as Carl Zeiss etc.), and;

- the bottom 4 logos date from the reunification of the company in 1991, which followed on from the reunification of Germany in 1990.

n.b. Not all of the logos were used on binoculars e.g. several were only on photographic products.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• from Company 7.jpg

Edited by John A Roberts, 30 June 2021 - 05:13 AM.

• Corcaroli78, Terra Nova, WALL.E and 3 others like this

#54 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2021 - 06:21 AM

Thanks John for the info.

To my untrained eye, the Zeiss logos of old seem to be more fun and have more character than the newer, flat logos.  Of course, that's just a matter of personal taste.

In any event, I'm quite interested in the highly regarded Zeiss 15x60 B/GAT*, for both its superlative optical qualities and generous 20mm eye relief.  Too bad I've come to the hobby too late and it's now exceedingly hard to find any decent Zeiss 15x60 G/GAT* specimen.  I've only come across one fake 15x60 B/GAT* and am glad I didn't fall for the scam.

• Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#55 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 June 2021 - 09:34 AM

Hello,

I have the 15x60BGAT*, which may or may not have a narrower FOV.  It certainly has rubber eye  cups rather than the plastic eye cups of the earlier version.  I find that I have to use it on a tripod and carry the setup hundreds of meters.  In favorable conditions, when Saturn is in opposition, and is visible in less light polluted skies, I can often make out Titan and perhaps Rhea.  This usually requires two consecutive nights, allowing for the satellite to change position with the planet and confirm the sighting.

I thought that the 15x60's were made for hunters, especially those who shoot from platforms in twilight.

Stay safe,

Arthur

If you ever got tired of carrying the 15x60 BGAT*, I'd be happy to take it off your hands, for a fair price of course smile.gif

• Pinewood, Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#56 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 03 July 2021 - 10:08 AM

There's something about the classic porro prism look that really appeals to me.  It doesn't hurt that the shape is more comfortable to hold for stargazing.  Too bad, they don't make them like this anymore...

I completely agree!

• MT4 likes this

#57 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Gemini

Posted 03 July 2021 - 10:33 AM

An English language version of the page that JG has linked to can be found at: https://www.zeiss.co...zeiss-logo.html
It should be noted that it shows logos from 1906 on, so it does not include the one used on the earliest binoculars which commenced in 1894.

The Company Seven site has a page that outlines the Zeiss company history at: http://www.company7....ss/history.html
The page provides some basic information about logos, and more usefully it also has ‘Christmas Tree’ diagram (see the copy).

On the diagram:
- the top 5 markings were used until the end of WWII (the earliest binoculars used the logo in script, second from the top);

- the left hand side then shows logos used by Zeiss East Germany (as Carl Zeiss Jena etc.);

- the right side shows those used by Zeiss West Germany (as Carl Zeiss etc.), and;

- the bottom 4 logos date from the reunification of the company in 1991, which followed on from the reunification of Germany in 1990.

n.b. Not all of the logos were used on binoculars e.g. several were only on photographic products.

John

John,

thank you for having posted more Zeiss logos.

And here is one "italics retro" logo on the Carl Zeiss West Germany Diadem,

Copy New Diadem.jpg

Best,

JG

• John A Roberts, Thotmosis and MT4 like this

#58 selenograph

selenograph

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Jena, Germany

Posted 03 July 2021 - 01:37 PM

Hello binoculars friends,

here my Carl Zeiss Nobilem 15x60B with the original tripod adapter. It was manufactured in 1990/1991 before it was taken over by Docter Optic. I now have all of the Nobilems in my collection, the last great Porro binoculars from Carl Zeiss Jena.

Many greetings from Jena, Germany
Ralf

Attached Thumbnails

• CZJ_Nobilem15x60_1.jpg
  • CZJ_Nobilem15x60_2.jpg
  • CZJ_Nobilem15x60_3.jpg

• Mark9473, plyscope, Corcaroli78 and 6 others like this

#59 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Gemini

Posted 03 July 2021 - 02:40 PM

Ralf, very good!

Could you post a family pic with the all Nobilems?

Liebe Grüße,

JG

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#60 selenograph

selenograph

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

Jiri, here is the full series.

at the top:
Docter Nobilem 7x50 B
Zeiss Octarem 8x50 B, (later Nobilem 8x50 B)
Docter Nobilem 10x50 B
Zeiss Dodecarem 12x50 B, (later Nobilem 12x50 B)
Zeiss Nobilem 8x56 B
Zeiss Nobilem 15x60 B
below:
The previous series.
Zeiss Nobilem 8x50 B super
Zeiss Nobilem 12x50 B spezial

Ralf

Attached Thumbnails

• Nobilems.jpg

• davidmcgo, plyscope, Corcaroli78 and 12 others like this

#61 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 03 July 2021 - 05:05 PM

What a wonderful "family photo" smile.gif

A warm welcome and congratulations on your beautiful collection, Ralf!

• j.gardavsky likes this

#62 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Gemini

Posted 04 July 2021 - 08:28 AM

Jiri, here is the full series.

at the top:
Docter Nobilem 7x50 B
Zeiss Octarem 8x50 B, (later Nobilem 8x50 B)
Docter Nobilem 10x50 B
Zeiss Dodecarem 12x50 B, (later Nobilem 12x50 B)
Zeiss Nobilem 8x56 B
Zeiss Nobilem 15x60 B
below:
The previous series.
Zeiss Nobilem 8x50 B super
Zeiss Nobilem 12x50 B spezial

Ralf

Hello Ralf,

this is really a very noble collection of the Nobilems!

Thank you so much for sharing,

Jiri

• MT4 likes this

#63 Stopforths

Stopforths

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 July 2021 - 03:51 PM

Zeiss West 15x60 T*

Anyone interested,

here is a new offer from a registered dealer, delivering also to overseas, including the U.S.,

https://www.ebay.de/...sQAAOSw1Qhg2Yeu

The price is negotiable,

JG

My twin brother Kevin has this binocular Zeiss 15X60 GA T*. Used them last night under a dark New Zealand sky.

I like them a lot. 

I know they were given a bad wrap by a vender a few years back Denis Lev...... but personally we find them to be excellent.

Kevin also use them for birding using a tripod and because of two eyes they work as well as a spotter.

Edited by Stopforths, 13 July 2021 - 03:53 PM.

• Corcaroli78 and j.gardavsky like this

#64 Stopforths

Stopforths

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 July 2021 - 04:07 PM

Nice to see I am not the only Zeiss addict.

I have owned the Aus Jena 7X50B Nobilem, and the older Zeiss Jena 8X50B's. The 7X50's had great optics. The 8X50B's eye relief was a bit tight but the images were still very nice. I regret selling the 7X50 but a friend fell in love with them. 

My current Zeiss collection includes

Zeiss 7X50B T* B Marine and Zeiss West, 15X60 GAT*

Roof prism Zeiss West....

Zeiss Dilayt 8X30 B/GA T* P*, 7X42 B/GA T* P* and 10X40 B/GA T* P

Of all of these the 10X40 T* P are my constant companion for birdwatching, astronomy and general use. They have been close to me for 20+ years. The optics rival many of the modern expensive roof's. The reliability and construction is superior IMHO.

Kevin Barker ........

Edited by Stopforths, 13 July 2021 - 04:08 PM.

• Corcaroli78, j.gardavsky and Thotmosis like this

#65 Phil Barker

Phil Barker

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: hokitika New Zealand

Posted 13 July 2021 - 04:26 PM

Last night I spent some time using the 15 x 60mm zeiss GAT's  The views are amazing very sharp much sharper and highend telescope like than the lower end binos around.  The eye relief isn't that good in that its tough to see the whole72 degree  field of view but its sharp right accross.   

Eta carina was sensational as was the southern milkyway in general.  Star colours were vivid also.   Noticed several galaxies really loved the dark background also.  To see over 4 degrees with this sort of quality was amazing I have to say.

I await  a pair of 15 x 70 oberwerk ultras I only hope they are in the same ballpark.  The way the zeiss 15 x 60 showed open clusters  and fainter nebula was just amazing.  The bar is set high I'll report on the oberwerks when i get them hopefully in next week or 2.  They are only around 30% as expensive it will be interesting.

• Corcaroli78, Terra Nova, j.gardavsky and 1 other like this

#66 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 15 July 2021 - 10:37 PM

My DOCTER Nobilem 15x60 B (G/A) are from the E series.

They have been redesigned by Albrecht Köhler with:

- New glass materials

- New multicoatings (I have counted 6 in total different reflected hues)

- New Porro-Abbe prisms assembly

The front lenses are the classical cemented doublets, the eyepieces might be the type of Erfle 2, even if I have not been able to ray trace all lenses in the EP.

These binoculars deliver a very high contrast with the typical Zeiss West colder color rendition, and a hard snap into the focus, unlike the softer snap of most of the other binoculars.

Taking the low surface brightness IC 342 galaxy (Maffei Group) in Camelopardalis as a differentiator for the binoculars performance, these DOCTERS have shown its full extension of about 20', and not just its small bright core.

The DOCTER Porros by Albrecht Köhler belong on the German markets of today, when in pristine condition, to the unavailables. I am still looking for some to complete my set.

Best,

JG

How would you know if its the latest ?  Any markings on the binoculars ?

#67 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 16 July 2021 - 05:43 AM

The latest version was magnesium-bodied but had no special markings other than a sticker on the box.
  • Jae likes this

#68 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Gemini

Posted 16 July 2021 - 06:54 AM

How would you know if its the latest ?  Any markings on the binoculars ?

The company name used to be written back in the day as DOCTER®OPTIC,

later just DOCTER®,

the latest have also included an instagram below the series number

see https://www.cloudyni...em-8x56b-porro/

Best,

JG

• Jae likes this

#69 B 26354

B 26354

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:43 AM

Hi B, thank you for answering the question. waytogo.gif

Now, I have another reference to indicate in discussions of "mechanical quality" for this type. I guess the wheel is metal, covered with rubber?

Hi ECP... sorry to be so late in responding.   frown.gif    Yes, the focus-wheel is rubber-covered.

I will also point out that the rubber armoring on these Nobilems provides an excellent grip: neither too "sticky" nor too slippery. And after twenty years of almost daily use, the armoring has retained that same tactile quality... and is also completely intact. No separation or degradation whatsoever.  waytogo.gif

#70 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 16 July 2021 - 10:52 AM

Thanks, sometimes the automatic translator changes the syntax of my sentences ... 

Yes, the focus-wheel is rubber-covered.

... but is the focus-wheel in metal or plastic?

#71 selenograph

selenograph

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:29 AM

The focusing wheel on the Nobilems is made of metal.

Ralf

• ECP M42 likes this

#72 Jae

Jae

Apollo

• Loc: New England

Posted 16 July 2021 - 11:49 AM

The latest version was magnesium-bodied but had no special markings other than a sticker on the box.

Thanks, The sticker says magnesium-bodied or something else ?

#73 B 26354

B 26354

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:37 PM

Thanks, sometimes the automatic translator changes the syntax of my sentences ... 

selenograph beat me to it!  lol.gif

But in attempting to figure it out, I learned something new. As it turns out, there are "infinity-focus" indicators on the focus-wheel and on the center shaft... which I had never noticed, because for some reason, the indicator-line on the center shaft is on its under-side. (???)

In any case, I have a little 60X-120X LED-illuminated "pocket microscope"... and in looking at the indicator "dot" on the focus-wheel, rather than being a dot of paint, it is a tiny divot that has been "punched" into the the wheel, and reveals that the wheel is obviously metal. My photo doesn't show the texture of the punch-mark, but I thought it might help to show the infinity-focus indicators:

Docter 15x60 Nobilem Focusing-Wheel.jpg

Any thoughts on why the indicator-line was placed on the under-side of the shaft, instead of the upper side, where it would be readily visible?

• ECP M42 and selenograph like this

#74 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:41 PM

Thanks, The sticker says magnesium-bodied... ?

Yes. 

#75 ECP M42

ECP M42

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: central Europe 45°N

Posted 16 July 2021 - 01:18 PM

Any thoughts on why the indicator-line was placed on the under-side of the shaft, instead of the upper side, where it would be readily visible?

When the Germans do something "strange", there is always a good reason behind it (let's skip the Jewish question) and trying to understand it is sometimes more difficult than using it.

I think it is a practical reference, since the underside of the binoculars is the one most easily visible during use and therefore becomes the most logical area where to place it.

Edited by ECP M42, 16 July 2021 - 01:19 PM.

• B 26354 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics