•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need some advice on weatherproof cover and results

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 miwitte

miwitte

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte NC

Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:42 PM

Hey guys long time since ive posted here ive run into some health issues over the last couple of years with blood clots in lungs and more recently colon cancer which i had successful surgery and outcome. The Jupiter/Saturn alignment has peaked my interest in getting back into the hobby again and im looking for solutions to cover and keep dry my ENTIRE setup so i dont have to break it down. With the surgery i am limited with what i can lift so my daughters boyfriend is goign to help me disassemble/carry out etc when i want to image. Unfortunately he isn't over all the time so ill need to have something at hand that can be put in place that would keep out heavy moisture(rain/snow) as well as some means of minimizing small moisture getting into electronics and optics. 

• Telegizmo seems to be the go to, however what i would like is something i could almost fully enclose both legs and scope so when i unwrap it after the bad weather i dont find rusty legs, dew all over scope and camera, electronics. Im thinking some way you could almost seal the entire thing in a giant bag and on the end of the bag have a blower like used on a inflatable movie screen but have it suck instead of blow. Also Micheals has some really good decicant for flower drying that ive used on the girls phones over the years after they got dropped in water. Would lover to hear setups and how they worked long term. Im not planning on leaving ot out form months but it may be a week.
  • 2nd is some type of cart where i can store scope in garage and some type of wheels that can be lowwere/raised easily so the tripod rests on the concrete. 

Would lover to see pics or anything to help me get going and what i can expect keeping the moisture out.

#2 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Gemini

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:16 PM

People put something hot under the cover like a light bulb or something. Keeps the moisture at bay possibly.

I think you might find something purpose made.

#3 44maurer

44maurer

Viking 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:34 PM

Check out http://www.scopebugg.../UntitledH.html

#4 georgian82

georgian82

Apollo

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 15 December 2020 - 10:45 PM

I bought a Telegizmo 365 T3N8 for my setup. It is made for an 8” Newtonian so when i use it for my 70mm refractor, the cover goes almost all the way to the ground. Please note that my mount head rides on top of a Berlebach Uni18 tripod which I believe is taller than the stainless steel tripod that comes with this particular mount.

I think it was a great investment. Now I feel comfortable leaving the mount outside (covered) when I know I will be imaging on consecutive days which is huge given how heavy this mount is.

I hope this helps!

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:38 AM

You could also keep a small rechargeable dehumidifier enclosed under the mount to keep the air around the electronics dry. Just tie a bag of some sort under the mount so the mount is not open at the bottom under the cover.

#6 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:45 AM

Easy solution which I used for years with my C11" outside on my dewy deck in San Francisco.

Telegizmo 365 + The Dehumidifier Golden Rod + pull the cord around the bottom of the scope legs.  This approach has been used by many and it works great.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics