•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solargraphy

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lucullus

Lucullus

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2020 - 06:43 PM

Has anyone recently done solargraphy? I discovered this kind of imaging recently and went to the local photography store. Unfortunately, they only had large, expensive packs of black&white light sensitive paper and wouldn't be able to process it anymore as they have no chemicals anymore. Has anyone experienced similar things and found a solution? I really would like to to multi-months solar motion images.

#2 Todd N

Todd N

Messenger

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:21 PM

Most buy their supplies online these days. If it's color film you are interested in, you can send it out to be developed. Just find a regional retailer/processor.

#3 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 18 December 2020 - 07:28 PM

https://firstquarter...-places-prices/

#4 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:56 AM

I make this form time to time. All you need is (may be old) photographic paper and a empty beer can. It is most rewarding if you let the camera outside from December to June ore vice versa.

#5 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:57 AM

I make this form time to time. All you need is (may be old) photographic paper and a empty beer can. It is most rewarding if you let the camera outside from December to June ore vice versa.

Attached Thumbnails

• sg122017-052018v2.jpg
  • 120616Sgraph.jpg

• Lucullus likes this

#6 Lucullus

Lucullus

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:58 AM

What about processing the photographic paper? I specifically asked a local photography shop if they have any such black&white paper, which they had, but don't have any chemical laboratory anymore to process it. No idea why they still sell such paper if they can't process it anymore after exposing and bringing it back in a black envelope or dark can. They only can still process normal small format photo film. Albeit an interesting thing to learn, I don't have the intention to get liters of various chemicals to process the bw paper myself. I read that others simply put it into a scanner and scan whatever they have on their 1/2 year photo paper exposures, during which process the exposure is of course distroyed but at least available in digital form. Unfortunately, my scanner does some calibration after pressing the button to scan a document. This would already illuminate the bw photo paper and destroy it for the actual scan several seconds afterwards. Any solution for this?

#7 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Gemini

• Moderators

Posted 30 December 2020 - 12:42 PM

Dear Lucullus, there is no need to process the paper. Photographic paper gets dark if ther is some light on it. You may try it by yourself. Some gets blue, and some gets purple. This effect is used for solargraphy.

In the end the paper remains sensible to light. I scanned it and then put it in a dark envelope. You may look at it form time to time in dim light. Strong light would destroy the image.

I have solargrams older than 10 years.

I wrote some articles on how to make it, but they are all in German. One ist at my web site. May be you learn something from the images.

I recommend to start with a simple camera and an exposure time of a week or so. If there were sunny day you'll see some first result.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics