•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Wow, Wow,Wow!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NC

Posted 19 December 2020 - 06:55 PM

That's how I describe the view odf Jupiter & Saturn tonight with my WO BV and a pair of 16mm Brandons! They had the two planets framed perfectly in my C102. Can't wait for Monday!

Clear skies All!

• aa5te, ewave, Reid W and 6 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:51 PM

Sounds awesome!! I have to take a look but the snow is coming on like its nuclear winter ARGHH!

• kksmith likes this

#3 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 December 2020 - 10:38 PM

Great luck for a great look.  waytogo.gif

Unfortunately, Tuesday is the only day with a break in the local weather here in SW Ohio.

Jeff

#4 Abhat

Abhat

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 20 December 2020 - 06:41 AM

That's how I describe the view odf Jupiter & Saturn tonight with my WO BV and a pair of 16mm Brandons! They had the two planets framed perfectly in my C102. Can't wait for Monday!

Clear skies All!

Lucky you!!! Snow and clouds here. But 12/22 may be a possibility.

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 20 December 2020 - 09:37 AM

Clear skies predicted here. Would love to use my BVs, but of course all of my friends and neighbors want to see too, so I am going to try to do some afocal projection to my cell phone so that people cans see them without touching the scope. I hate to do that in a way because I want to be selfish and spend the whole time looking at it with BVs, but I know half a dozen people that are super excited about seeing it, so best to share. Also, they are pretty low in the sky, so seeing might not really produce all that great a view.

Fallback is to go to a fixed focal length eyepiece and ask them to sanitize hands before using the focuser. 

• REC and leviathan like this

#6 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 December 2020 - 11:13 AM

Clear skies predicted here. Would love to use my BVs, but of course all of my friends and neighbors want to see too, so I am going to try to do some afocal projection to my cell phone so that people cans see them without touching the scope. I hate to do that in a way because I want to be selfish and spend the whole time looking at it with BVs, but I know half a dozen people that are super excited about seeing it, so best to share. Also, they are pretty low in the sky, so seeing might not really produce all that great a view.

Fallback is to go to a fixed focal length eyepiece and ask them to sanitize hands before using the focuser. 

Yeah, I hear you! I also had oustaning view with mono with my 19mm Pan. Super Sharp!

#7 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 20 December 2020 - 12:12 PM

Yeah, I hear you! I also had oustaning view with mono with my 19mm Pan. Super Sharp!

I would vastly prefer to use the binoviewer, but I am meeting everyone on the top deck of a nearby parking garage to get a good view from up high, and carting the BV along is just one more thing to do so I plan on keeping it simple. I was going to use a zoom for the afocal projection, so if the camera does not work out, I can just pull it off and default to the zoom.

Also because the show here is both planets together, really high power is not going to be needed.

Very excited to share with my friends though, and BV is never a good choice when you have to accommodate other observers, and especially not during Covid. 

#8 YoungStargazer

YoungStargazer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 20 December 2020 - 12:19 PM

Today is another rainy day, full cloud cover.

Not sure when I'll get to enjoy the stars again.

It's been like that for 2 weeks going to 3rd week straight. there was only 1 day that was semi-clear, but by the time I setup the scope, the targets were already below the city landscape horizon.

#9 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 December 2020 - 04:39 PM

Follow up from this week. My plan for Monday was to use my C102 f/1000mm and my WO BV with a pair of Brandon 16mm and a Baader 8-24mm zoom for mono. After taking a look at clear dark sky for the 19th, I was taken back with a 1 rating on seeing conditions. I have never seen a 1 rating before when the sky was clear and getting ready for a session. Well, when I went out to set up the scope at 5pm, I knew why it was such a low rating. There was 29 mph winds howling and chilly. Looking through the zoom at low power, the image was shaking all over the place! I could not go any higher than 50x and then I would only get a few seconds of a still image. So just took a few pictures of the land and sky and just get a small separation from the two planets.

But, Tuesday was a very clear and stable night with a 3/5 good seeing condition. So first popped in my Baader zoom to see what flavors of the two I would get. Very nice steady images of both planets, belts on Jupiter and a clear black separation from the rings to the planet surface. Cassini, maybe there for a second or two. Now my mouth was watering for a Bino view of them. So in went the WO with a pair of 16mm Brandons. They are my go to EP's for planets. Sharp, contrast and 50* FOV frames them pretty well with both planets at one end of the other with plenty of sky and stars in the frame. I used Jupiters moons to get the best pin point image. The merge and field stop was perfect! At time I thought Saturn was giving me a 3D image, very cool view for sure. I spent the next 20 minutes just staring at the view and backing off for a naked eye view which also great with a mountain below them that the two would sink into soon. In fact, when it got to about the last 10* before sinking, the view was getting a little soft, so went back to low power mono for the finish.

What a grand night it was and ranks right up there with a bright comet, the Venus transit of the Sun and just below the spectacle of a total solar eclipse! The nice thing about this view, was it was visible for about 3 nights. One day before and one after. Me, I got 2 and 1/2 nights!

Who else had great Bino Views of the spectacle?

#10 Miranda2525

Miranda2525

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:26 PM

Can't go back to mono viewing planets or the moon. With binoviewers, even in mediocre seeing, I always see more with the binoviewers !!! bow.gif

• Eddgie, George Blahun Jr, noisejammer and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics