•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Equipment setup recommendation needed

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2020 - 07:29 PM

Yes, you absolutely need a flattener with any refractor. One step further. If the flattener on the refractor only supports up to an APS size sensor and not full frame and you choose to use your D750. Set the camera up to shoot in APS mode. As a D850 owner myself I am pretty sure you can do that on the 750 as well. 

Thanks. I'll set it in APS mode and take it. 

Here is the finalized items I am going to buy. 

1. iOptron CEM40. Most likely I'll buy direct from them.

2. William Optics GT81 81mm f/5.9 Apo Refractor with Soft Case - Gold # A-F81GTIVGD. 

3. William Optics All New 0.8x Reducer / Adjustable Field Flattener 6AIII for GT71, GT81, Z81 & Z103 Telescopes - Space Gray # P-FLAT6AIII

4. ZWO ASI290MM-MINI 2.1 MP CMOS Monochrome Astronomy Camera with USB 2.0 # ASI290MM-MINI

5. QHY Mini Guide Scope (with mount) this is $129. I also see William Optics 50mm f/4 Guide Scope with 1.25" RotoLock. or William Optics 32mm f/3.75 UniGuide Scope with Slide-base or ZWO 30mm. Which is better? 

6. I need to get some battery pack for my setup. Exploring that as well. 

At some point I'll be buying ZWO ASI533MC Pro. 

I'll be using my D750 in APS mode. I am going to explore using my spare laptop and use with NiNA or some software. I am still looking for some kind of steps what I should use first etc. If you happen to know any place that I can refer, would be great. 

I really appreciate everyone helping me to get this setup. I am glad that I am part this is community. Thanks a lot. 

Edited by vsn, 30 December 2020 - 07:45 PM.

• idclimber likes this

#27 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NJ, US

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:26 PM

Not sure where you're located, but you might also want to consider dew heaters for your scopes. With the CEM40, you'll have 2 USB cables coming from it to your laptop. 3 if you use iPolar, but you can disconnect that once you're polar aligned. You can plug your guide cam into your main cam and the main cam into the USB port in the saddle.

If you're going to run this all on DC power, that laptop is going to draw the most juice of all of the components. Look into deep cycle marine batteries and converters to get the appropriate voltages for the components. Otherwise, there are AIO solutions like Jackery, but those are pretty costly.

#28 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:26 PM

Not sure where you're located, but you might also want to consider dew heaters for your scopes. With the CEM40, you'll have 2 USB cables coming from it to your laptop. 3 if you use iPolar, but you can disconnect that once you're polar aligned. You can plug your guide cam into your main cam and the main cam into the USB port in the saddle.

If you're going to run this all on DC power, that laptop is going to draw the most juice of all of the components. Look into deep cycle marine batteries and converters to get the appropriate voltages for the components. Otherwise, there are AIO solutions like Jackery, but those are pretty costly.

I am in Bay Area, California(San Jose). Though it is not cold as east coast, still it gets cold here. I would definitely need a heater.

#29 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:47 PM

I am in Bay Area, California(San Jose). Though it is not cold as east coast, still it gets cold here. I would definitely need a heater.

In my previous post I mentioned you'd connect your guide cam to your main cam. I forgot you were going to use the D750 as your imaging camera. For some reason, I thought you were getting a dedicated astro cam. Do you have a way to power that D750 externally (like with a dummy battery)? If not, make sure you've got a lot of extra batteries around :).

#30 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 December 2020 - 09:59 PM

In my previous post I mentioned you'd connect your guide cam to your main cam. I forgot you were going to use the D750 as your imaging camera. For some reason, I thought you were getting a dedicated astro cam. Do you have a way to power that D750 externally (like with a dummy battery)? If not, make sure you've got a lot of extra batteries around smile.gif.

Yea. I have an extra battery at the moment. Yes. I am going to get dedicated astro camera after few months. Trying to keep the initial cost down :-). 

By the way, I do have one question, how can I transfer the image from D750 to laptop if I use N.I.N.A etc?

Thanks for the recommendation.

#31 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:04 PM

Yea. I have an extra battery at the moment. Yes. I am going to get dedicated astro camera after few months. Trying to keep the initial cost down :-). 

By the way, I do have one question, how can I transfer the image from D750 to laptop if I use N.I.N.A etc?

Pretty sure a program like BackyardNikon is what you'd want.

#32 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 30 December 2020 - 11:02 PM

You do not need a flattener "with any refractor". However, in this case since you plan to use a DSLR that's full frame, you will be better off with one. I have two scopes that work just fine with an APS-C chipped camera - check my astro-bin for some shots. Neither of those, though would work with a full frame. Still, remember that you can always crop out the corners. 

Rgrds-Ross

#33 sbharrat

sbharrat

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 31 December 2020 - 11:29 AM

Pretty sure a program like BackyardNikon is what you'd want.

NINA natively supports Nikon. (I have a Canon but I see a Nikon choice when connecting.) For the cameras with built in support (i.e. not through ASCOM driver), NINA will automatically download your image after each exposure in the native RAW format and put it into <BASEDIR>/LIGHT/

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#34 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:02 PM

NINA natively supports Nikon. (I have a Canon but I see a Nikon choice when connecting.) For the cameras with built in support (i.e. not through ASCOM driver), NINA will automatically download your image after each exposure in the native RAW format and put it into <BASEDIR>/LIGHT/

Thanks for the correction! I don't own Nikon and I've only started playing with NINA trying to force my G9 to work with it and some ASCOM driver I found, so didn't realize the Nikon was supported natively.

• sbharrat likes this

#35 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:07 PM

Thank you. I just connect my D750 directly via usb to my computer and NiNA will recognize? Is that all ? 

#36 sbharrat

sbharrat

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:15 PM

Thank you. I just connect my D750 directly via usb to my computer and NiNA will recognize? Is that all ? 

You might have to hit the "circle" for rescan depending on the timing of turning on your DSLR and plugging in the USB. Then the connect button. 

I personally don't have a Nikon but that is the way it works for my Canon. Both Canon and Nikon show up in the camera list by name.

(I also get an ASCOM DSLR show up because of some other drivers I loaded and I initially used that but the NINA dev on their Discord channel said to use the native Canon selection. If you use the ASCOM driver, your images will be downloaded as FITS instead of the native RAW.)

I don't have things hooked up now but if you can't find it, let me know and I will send a snapshot of where I am doing this in NINA. 

Cheers

#37 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2020 - 07:48 PM

You might have to hit the "circle" for rescan depending on the timing of turning on your DSLR and plugging in the USB. Then the connect button. 

I personally don't have a Nikon but that is the way it works for my Canon. Both Canon and Nikon show up in the camera list by name.

(I also get an ASCOM DSLR show up because of some other drivers I loaded and I initially used that but the NINA dev on their Discord channel said to use the native Canon selection. If you use the ASCOM driver, your images will be downloaded as FITS instead of the native RAW.)

I don't have things hooked up now but if you can't find it, let me know and I will send a snapshot of where I am doing this in NINA. 

Cheers

Thanks a lot everyone. Appreciate that. I am waiting for my mount, right now it is backordered. Hope it will be in stock by next week. I'll keep this thread posted.  

#38 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:27 PM

I just installed NiNA on my spare laptop. I could connect my Nikon and took some test shot. I think NiNa is great and I like the controls etc. One obvious question (silly may be), If I am going to keep my setup in the backyard and I have the laptop in my livingroom, running a very long cables(at least 2 cables each 50ft etc) is not good. Is there better alternative?  

Also if I use NUC to avoid this and do Remote Desktop from laptop in living room to NUC, before I unplug NUC etc I had to safely shutdown the NUC.  How do I do that? Does NUC can be shutdown by pressing power button ? I know windows is very crapy in this, at least use to be. 

#39 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:30 PM

I just installed NiNA on my spare laptop. I could connect my Nikon and took some test shot. I think NiNa is great and I like the controls etc. One obvious question (silly may be), If I am going to keep my setup in the backyard and I have the laptop in my livingroom, running a very long cables(at least 2 cables each 50ft etc) is not good. Is there better alternative?  

Also if I use NUC to avoid this and do Remote Desktop from laptop in living room to NUC, before I unplug NUC etc I had to safely shutdown the NUC.  How do I do that? Does NUC can be shutdown by pressing power button ? I know windows is very crapy in this, at least use to be. 

You have a "spare" laptop. Use that as your controller and leave it outside with your gear. Use your "non-spare" to remote into it from your living room :)

#40 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:34 PM

You have a "spare" laptop. Use that as your controller and leave it outside with your gear. Use your "non-spare" to remote into it from your living room smile.gif

That is what I was thinking. Running long power cable is easier than running multiple USB cables :-). thanks. 

• jonnybravo0311 likes this

#41 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:30 AM

Any recommendation on light pollution filter for above setup? I am in a city that has Bortle class 8-9. 

Edited by vsn, 05 January 2021 - 12:34 AM.

#42 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 January 2021 - 09:57 AM

Since you're using an unmodified D750, a lot of the narrowband filters like the Radian Triad and Optolong L-eXtreme aren't going to be very useful to you since one of the primary bands they let through is Hydrogen-alpha. The Optolong L-Pro would probably be useful to you.

#43 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:03 PM

Since you're using an unmodified D750, a lot of the narrowband filters like the Radian Triad and Optolong L-eXtreme aren't going to be very useful to you since one of the primary bands they let through is Hydrogen-alpha. The Optolong L-Pro would probably be useful to you.

thank you. Reading more about these filters, I feel D750 may be not be a right choice in light polluted area. Also at some point I am going to dedicated astro camera. Looks like I need to go that now it self instead of spending $$ on a filter that may or may not work. What do you think?

Edited by vsn, 06 January 2021 - 05:22 PM.

#44 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:29 PM

thanks you. Reading more about these filters, I feel D750 may be not be a right choice in light polluted area. Also at some point I am going to dedicated astro camera. Looks like I need to go that now it self instead of spending $$ on a filter that may or may not work. What do you think?

I think it depends on what you want to image. A camera like the ASI294MC Pro from ZWO is going to give you two primary benefits over a regular DSLR: 1) a sensor that is sensitive to the hydrogen alpha wavelengths and 2) cooling so you can control the sensor temperature. Strap your D750 or a 294MC onto that GT81 and point it to the sky, BOTH will still be impacted by the light pollution.

If you decide you want to image emission nebulae, then that's when I would recommend going with the dedicated camera. You gain the benefits I listed above. For true narrowband imaging, you'd get a monochrome camera, a filter wheel and a set of SHO filters. A lot of people instead get an OSC with a single filter like the L-eXtreme or Radian Triad Ultra. That kind of setup doesn't get you true narrowband, but does give you a "narrowband-like" experience. Then, if you want to also capture some regular old RGB data, just take the filter off.

#45 vsn

vsn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2021 - 06:51 PM

I think it depends on what you want to image. A camera like the ASI294MC Pro from ZWO is going to give you two primary benefits over a regular DSLR: 1) a sensor that is sensitive to the hydrogen alpha wavelengths and 2) cooling so you can control the sensor temperature. Strap your D750 or a 294MC onto that GT81 and point it to the sky, BOTH will still be impacted by the light pollution.

If you decide you want to image emission nebulae, then that's when I would recommend going with the dedicated camera. You gain the benefits I listed above. For true narrowband imaging, you'd get a monochrome camera, a filter wheel and a set of SHO filters. A lot of people instead get an OSC with a single filter like the L-eXtreme or Radian Triad Ultra. That kind of setup doesn't get you true narrowband, but does give you a "narrowband-like" experience. Then, if you want to also capture some regular old RGB data, just take the filter off.

To be honest, I have no idea what to look for. I wanted to take nebula etc ( I don't know what else I can take). I am just getting into this hobby :-)

I am planning to buy ZWO ASI533MC Pro but was thinking start with D750 and move on to ASI533MC within couple of months or so. I see these filters are not cheap either.  That is why I am thinking what is cost effective option for me. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics