My mono died this year. Between the manufacture, the vendor, covid and geopolitics, it will apparently take several months or longer to get this thing repaired. On the bright side it's given the me the opportunity to push this little OSC camera. More importantly, my processing continues to improve little by little.
All these images were taken with the following:
filters: L-Extreme and Astronomik 6nm S2
Mount: AVX (my eq6r also needed work/replacement this year)
First one I attempted was the Soul nebula. This was a test and showed me that using the s2 filter would work well enough. I used pixel math to combine the green and blue channels from the l-extreme data to make the O3 channel.
Next up, the Rosette. This time I mixed in a little Ha with the O3.. not much, like 10% IIRC.
Here's the Seagull. Part of the reason I started this endeavor was to see if I could get usable data with the moon up. Most of the data for the seagull was taken with a 90% or greater moon. The data did suffer some but still not bad.
Next up is a 2 panel mosaic of NGC 7822. While I dont mind the square sensor of the 533, I am finding it doesn't work great for a desktop background. A two panel mosaic is ideal for a background image. Probably should have saved up a bit more and gone with the 2600. Had I known I was going to be without my 1600 for most of the year.. I might have pulled the trigger.. oh well
My latest image.. and I think probably the best, the Jellyfish. I wanted to go longer on this one to see if I could pull out more of the O3 shell but I just got my replacement eq6r and that means my Edge 8 is going to get some work in now.
This shows that at least on brighter targets this is a viable option for those with OSC cameras. If you already have a dual band filter, the next one to get IMHO is an s2. Then when you pick up a mono, you'll already have the s2
***Edited, I meant to put this in the experienced forum, not the beginner. Moderator, feel free to move***
Edited by JamesTX, 28 December 2020 - 01:19 AM.