•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron C8+ Advanced Astromaster

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 CylonBoomer

CylonBoomer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for getting back to me  Dave.

I tried all the nondestructive settings in the SkySafari and check all the telescope settings. None of those worked.

I have two db9 adapters, both with port for plugging in the phone cord, which i looked at the pinouts and it is standard, yellow, green, red, black on the phone cord.  I have two of those cords and neither worked. My assumption at this point, is the db9 adapter isn't wired correctly.  I'll see if i can get a meter or crack it open. Thanks for the info! That helps!!!

Sharon

#27 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 07 January 2021 - 10:58 PM

Sharon, 

I'd bet that the cable is the issue here, not that it's faulty - I'm sure it's just wired wrong. 

It's easy enough to fix.... and I recall running into this exact same issue when building my cable. I think I came across 2 or maybe three different pinouts for these, back  I will link these here in order:

First, the SC pinout. Second is a pinout from another one that I'd found online. I can't link the third one, and I'm not sure if it's the same as either.... It's in my binder.

https://www.skysafar...yfi/serial.html

http://www.ngc1514.c...lestron/aam.htm

I will see if I can find my notes (if I still have them here) on which one ultimately worked. if not, I still have the cable around here in my parts pile to verify. I'm not much on trusting wire colors on this, FWIW.

Can you get a pic of your cable/s? Some DB9's can be popped apart and the wires swapped around easily. I'd like to see what you are working with here. 

Temp

#28 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

Posted 08 January 2021 - 04:24 PM

Sharon,

I found the cable I made for mine - and checked it with a multimeter. I've attached a picture if my crude drawing of the pinouts. The view of the RJ-11 (which plugs into the Advanced Astro Master) is facing the end, with the pins down - and the locking tab facing up.

Advanced Astromaster RS232 pinout

Click to enlarge... it should be easier to see.

The highlighted colors are the corresponding pins on mine, I believe if yours is wired like this - it will work.

Please keep us advised.

Temp

#29 CylonBoomer

CylonBoomer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2021 - 04:56 PM

Hi guys. I popped open the db9, and these are the pinouts.

Does this look correct?

Thanks!

Sharon

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6038.jpg

#30 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

Posted 08 January 2021 - 05:59 PM

Hi guys. I popped open the db9, and these are the pinouts.

Does this look correct?

Thanks!

Sharon

Sharon,

Yes, those pins are in the correct location on the DB-9 connector side, so that eliminates that part of the equation. Now whether they go to the correct pins on the RJ-11 connecter is the next thing we need to figure out.

If you look at my drawing above - your wire colors should be as follows: (for the RJ-11 male end)

Red     =  would go to pin #4 

Green  =  would go to pin #3

Yellow =  would go to pin #2

I'm betting that the RJ-11 side of yours is not wired like this. 

Do you have access to a multimeter / continuity tester?

Temp

#31 CylonBoomer

CylonBoomer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:02 PM

wow Thanks for all the great info.

I've got to run for a bit, but I got these pics to upload.

Is this what you wanted?

and the cord that plugs in, is a standard cable with the 4 wires.

I'll be back online later!!

Thanks so much!!!

Sharon

Attached Thumbnails

• pininside2.png
  • pininside1.png

#32 telesonic

telesonic

Messenger

Posted 08 January 2021 - 08:30 PM

Okay,

(edit to add:)

Yes, that is perfect - exactly the same as the one I was working on earlier. (on your first picture, you can see the little locking tab that holds the wiring block into the housing - so yes, this will work the same. Your reply came in as I was typing this up. lol.gif

Here goes - this is how you fix the pinouts on these DB-9 adapters, in the event that they are wired incorrectly. Note: you do not change the pins at the DB-9 connector side, you actually change them at the RJ-11 jack. This is important.

So, first thing is first - pop the DB-9 out of the plastic housing (as seen in Sharon's post #29 above) Now, with a small flat blade screwdriver insert it into the slot seen near the left of this image:

DB-9 01

Now the little plastic piece with the RJ pins slides out of the housing as seen in my picture above.

These pins can be straightened out, and pulled free from the plastic block. All you have to do is rearrange them to the correct order and bend them back. The whole thing slides back in (there are little grooves on the sides) and snaps in place. Make sure the pins are nice and straight, and in the correct slots first!

Here I rearranged the pins on this one, to correspond to my SkyWizard 3 (same as the Advanced Astro Master) in a few minutes. It's kinda finicky keeping the pins lined up, but it worked in one shot.... I just confirmed it minutes ago with my tablet and Sky Safari. (tried NGC Max / Skywizard and Celestron Astromaster - all confirmed working.)

For Sharon's fix - I believe this image may help:

DB-9 02

So the red wire was moved to RJ pin #4  - This is also the same color and location for Sharon's.

My yellow wire was moved to RJ pin #3  - This would be Sharon's green wire.

And my black wire was moved to RJ pin #2 - this would be the yellow wire.

Also, the RJ pin positions on these, I wrote while looking at the plastic block  - wiring in left hand, and locking tab for the plastic housing on wiring block facing down (away) if that makes any sense. If you look closely at the first picture above, you will see that there are actually an empty groove on each end near the pins, so pay attention here - just remove one, and see where it is - don't take it completely apart.

I believe this will get you sorted out. If not, the things are like a dollar or something online, if there is a failure. Personally, I'd just make a cable, but not everyone has the crimper for them. This just illustrates another possible method.

Hope this helps,

Let us know if it works for 'ya.

Cheers,

Temp

Edited by telesonic, 08 January 2021 - 08:33 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics