•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher 127 Mak large type visual back question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:56 PM

I have a Skywatcher Skymax 127 Mak with a 66mm male threaded visual back. Is there a click or twist lock replacement for this item? If not is there an adapter so that I can use standard 2" SCT gear? Thank you!

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:12 PM

Have you seen the various Visual Adapters on ScopeStuff?  wink.gif

#3 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:05 PM

Hi DLuders, thanks for that resource. I am familiar with ScopeStuff and have purchased from Jim before. I noticed this page which mentions the 66mm visual back and that the standard mak cas back (for previous and larger models) does not fit: http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_smsa.htm

"Does not fit new style Skywatcher 180mm Maks with 66mm diameter visual back!"

I thought it was interesting that my 127mm has the same 66mm diameter back. Maybe I'll reach out to Jim and ask him about the back if no one here has the solution. If anyone knows it's likely him!

I was thinking maybe there is some designation for the 66mm back that I don't know about or some other obvious solution I just have not come across yet and it would be CN to the rescue. 

Edited by castorpolu11, 31 December 2020 - 06:07 PM.

#4 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 31 December 2020 - 06:46 PM

Just spoke to Jim at ScopeStuff and here's the story:

He had only ever heard of the 180mm skymax having the odd 66mm visual back. I sent him a photo of my 127 with the caliper measuring it and turns our there is no solution. I'm stuck with the stock visual back with the two screws and no compression ring. 

#5 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2021 - 10:40 PM

Does anyone know of an adapter that would allow me to transition the 66mm visual back to a 1.25"?

#6 PKDfan

PKDfan

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:06 AM

Hi Castorpolu11! I dont have that scope but was looking at Agenaastro to find an upgraded visual back for my SW 100ed and found that Baader has a number of click lock backs for numerous scopes, perhaps there is one for 66mm there?
Good luck!

Clear skies & Good seeing

#7 starbug

starbug

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Germany

Posted 06 January 2021 - 04:47 AM

There is no such thing as "no solution" for something as simple as a thread adapter. There are at least 2 available for me.

1. Telescope-Service (https://www.teleskop...ized&suchdas=OK) offers a service to manufacture a customized adaptor for you at reasonable price. You could order one to adapt your 66mm thread to the C11 clicklock Baader or to an SCT thread. Might also be a reasonable option for you.

2. Turn on my lathe

I'm sure there are other options available too.

Also are you sure it's a 66mm thread and not an somewhat undersized M68, which is kind of standard?

#8 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:32 PM

There is no such thing as "no solution" for something as simple as a thread adapter. There are at least 2 available for me.

1. Telescope-Service (https://www.teleskop...ized&suchdas=OK) offers a service to manufacture a customized adaptor for you at reasonable price. You could order one to adapt your 66mm thread to the C11 clicklock Baader or to an SCT thread. Might also be a reasonable option for you.

2. Turn on my lathe

I'm sure there are other options available too.

Also are you sure it's a 66mm thread and not an somewhat undersized M68, which is kind of standard?

Nice, I like your spirit. I'm happy for you that you have a lathe option! I'm good at many things, crafting my own telescope parts isn't one of them:)

Jim at Scopestuff knows of the 66mm and has on his site that it's found on the 180mm skymax. I was dismayed to find it was also on my 127 skymax. I would love to be wrong but that's what I've measured. 

Thanks for the tip on the TS Optics option. I'll check that out. 

Take a look at the caliper. Do you think there's a chance I could be mismeasuring? 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1977.jpeg

#9 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2021 - 02:33 PM

Hi Castorpolu11! I dont have that scope but was looking at Agenaastro to find an upgraded visual back for my SW 100ed and found that Baader has a number of click lock backs for numerous scopes, perhaps there is one for 66mm there?
Good luck!

Clear skies & Good seeing

Good idea, I've searched all the clicklock options I could find on the baader website and did not find one at 66mm. If I missed it let me know!

#10 DHurst

DHurst

Mariner 2

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:52 PM

Could you use a mak to SCT adapter and then use a 2” eyepiece holder with a high hat for 1.25?

Edited by DHurst, 07 January 2021 - 07:45 PM.

#11 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2021 - 07:20 PM

So I wrote TS to ask about the custom fab option -- thanks starbug.

Turns out TS sells an adapter for the skymax that was exactly what I'm looking for: 

https://www.teleskop....php/info/p5622

Problem solved! Thanks everyone, I hope this helps someone else down the road. 

#12 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 January 2021 - 04:52 PM

Well, I received the TS adapter and it does indeed screw onto the 66mm back. That's the good news. The bad news is that the Antares SCT twist lock adapter I bought will not thread onto the TS adapter. Agena is open to taking the Antares adapter back so we'll see what happens with that. I'm going to try a WO 1.25" RotoLock SCT Visual Back and see if it will thread onto the TS adapter next. It's on the way. It'll be nice to have it all working eventually!

#13 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2021 - 04:23 PM

I've now tried the TS adapter with a WO adapter too and it won't thread, which I take to mean that it's the TS adapter and not the Antares and WO pieces that are the issue. I wrote to TS today asking for their perspective. Anyone have any experience with these kinds of threads not matching up? It's so far been an expensive pain in the neck. 

#14 castorpolu11

castorpolu11

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2021 - 10:31 AM

The TS adapter does not thread onto the any of three visual backs I've tried it with including the baader clicklock model that TS recommended I pair it with. I sent them a video of the pieces not threading and they replied:

"this SC-Threads are goint to freak me out. Every manufacturer will do his own stuff, instead of going with the USnorms. Somtimes it fit, sometimes nor. It seems that our SKM66-SC  male-thread is a little to big, and the Baader female-thread to small, so that they don´t fit. But both of them fit to Celestron. I suggest to make a refund to the customer, or we will send a revised new one."

I asked to have another one made that would fit. They've now said their looking into whether that's possible. I'm a little confused as to what they sold me. It doesn't work with any VB, including the one they recommended. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics