•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cosmic Challenge: Simeis 147

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PhilH

PhilH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:14 AM

The year 1054 must have been an active one for stargazers. That was the year that the famous Crab Nebula supernova blasted forth, shining brightly enough for Chinese and Native American skywatchers to note a "new star" blazing near what we now call the tip of one of Taurus the Bull's two horns. The 1054 supernova was so bright that it was visible in broad daylight during the summer of that year and remained visible to the naked eye for nearly a year. Today, we know the fading gaseous remnant of that all-consuming event as the Crab Nebula, M1.

Click here to view the article
  • Dave Mitsky, pyrasanth and j.gardavsky like this

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Gemini

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the write up- that's a really intriguing nebula.

Do you think the 11" RASA could capture that object under light polluted skies? I might give it a try when my RASA 11" arrives sometime in the next few weeks.

#3 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 02 January 2021 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for the write up- that's a really intriguing nebula.

Do you think the 11" RASA could capture that object under light polluted skies? I might give it a try when my RASA 11" arrives sometime in the next few weeks.

I think so.

I captured a bright ribbon centered on star SAO 77398 using a 16" f/7 Newtonian and night vision eyepiece under SQM 20.5 conditions. NV is real-time, a camera that can accumulate an image should do better.

This is definitely a difficult target though! I hope to get a better look with my 16" f/2.8 Dob and NV under SQM 21.5 skies.

#4 alan.dang

alan.dang

Messenger

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

https://www.cloudyni...ortle-67-skies/

This is from San Francisco, Bortle 6 to 7 skies.   I can barely see Polaris with the naked eye on most nights, but this was a night that was exceptionally clear.  No filters either.  A narrowband Ha filter would help, but I like the fact that you see so many stars in the setting of a supernova remnant. 

#5 nof

nof

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 07 January 2021 - 04:51 AM

Hello, is it possible I saw this in my tiny little televue pronto refractor? Exceptionally clear and cold night, from Mesquite Spring Campground in Death Valley NP. I was looking for large diffuse nebulas that I knew I would see only from dark, high places in a very wide view. I had just acquired a new TV 31 Nagler, which gave me a 5 degree field. I also had new lumicon O3 filter, which I don’t recall if it was being used for this observation or not. I wrote: “14/1/2020, Death Valley pronto with 31 nagler. Seen with slight nebulosity / form not definitive but clearly there next to Elnath in Auriga . moon was rising and making sky brighter. Crab Nebula and flaming star nebula nearby“

#6 Pcbessa

Pcbessa

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Forres, NE Scotland, UK

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:26 AM

How does Someone 147 compare with Sharpless Sh2-091, the other faint veil nebula in Cygnus?

I was able to see that one with my 10" with very low power, under Bortle2 skies, but it must have been one of the hardest targets for my Dob.

Nof: I think your report is feasible as you were observing under very good conditions, excellent optics and a wider field of view. How bright was the flame nebula that night?

• nof likes this

#7 nof

nof

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

How does Someone 147 compare with Sharpless Sh2-091, the other faint veil nebula in Cygnus?

I was able to see that one with my 10" with very low power, under Bortle2 skies, but it must have been one of the hardest targets for my Dob.

Nof: I think your report is feasible as you were observing under very good conditions, excellent optics and a wider field of view. How bright was the flame nebula that night?

The flame nebula was obviously very small, but I was seeing it’s light bright and clear. I had spent one long period studying that area onenight so I felt sure of it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics